1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

brown shoes at night?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by pdxguy, Nov 12, 2012.

Tags:
  1. pdxguy

pdxguy Member

When is it acceptable to wear brown shoes at night? For instance, if I attend an evening cocktail party, and plan on wearing nice slacks, nice shirt, and blazer (no tie), can I get away with wearing brown wingtips or oxfords?

2. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

depends on shade, is it tobacco brown? darker? or is it more light or tan like walnut?

3. malat

malat Senior member

4. pdxguy

pdxguy Member

I hadn't thought about shade of brown...most of my brown shoes are on the darker side

5. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

All depends on your context, what type of party etc. The fact that it's dark outside itself has no bearing on the appropriateness of the colour of your shoes.

6. TomTom

TomTom Well-Known Member

YES! It's not a black tie event so you can wear what ever shoes you like as long you don't wear clown shoes :)

7. mymil

mymil Senior member

Derek of Put This On has advocated for wearing black shoes at night, because he thinks they look shinier. Since I don't own any black shoes, I wear brown and so far I haven't been laughed out of any establishments.

8. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

If you have to think this hard about them, don't wear them.

9. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

It is acceptable only if you had no advanced warning of the event. Old school rules state 'no brown after sundown'. I would not recommend brown wingtips for evening attire, formal or not. Wearing dark brown oxfords would be pushing your luck but a nice dark brown balmoral will be acceptable. Wherever you have advanced notice of an upcoming evening occasion, wear black balmorals or a nice black balmoral cap toe. One last thought on this from me would be to introduce more burgundy shoes into your wardrobe. A deep rich burgundy cap toe balmoral can easily bridge the two worlds (from day to night) without concern. Welcome to Styleforum pdxguy.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  10. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

It's acceptable but black just usually looks better.

oxblood and midnight blue also look good.

11. pdxguy

pdxguy Member

Thank you, Man of Lint. Once again, sound advice.

12. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

+1 to Hendrix's suggestion on Oxblood; another shoe colour that deserves more respect.