Brown shoes and black pants - I know I know

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by bkusf, Nov 19, 2011.

1. bkusf

bkusf Member

I know that this topic has probably been beaten to death and written up everywhere as a fashion no no, but I have been gravitating towards my brown shoes more now than ever. I usually see myself as having good fashion sense, but all the talk about these two colors clashing is giving me second thoughts.

So I own a pair of these John Varvatos dress oxfords that are dark brown (distressed wood) color. I use it as my every day work shoe and will pair it with designer denim or chinos. I don't need to wear dress pants or suits for work and I find these very stylish yet simple. My question is that I have been wearing these with black chinos and denim and was wondering if it's a fashion no-no. I pair it with a matching color belt and usually a plaid shirt for a more casual look. I know that there is not that much contrast between these and black pants, but I find it very complimentary. What do you guys think? I think that the black stitching and sole helps blend the two.

[​IMG]
    I'm going out to dinner at a nice restaurant this week and thinking of wearing a black designer denim, the shoe above, and pairing it with a nice Boss brown corduroy blazer. Will that work? I just don't see wearing black shoes when I have a dark brown blazer. I love these shoes so much that I'm thinking of getting to boot new york's warwick ash gray / brown oxfords below.

[​IMG]
    Should I bother getting them or spend the money on a black shoe instead? I only own one pair of nice black oxfords that I usually reserve for special occasions or when wearing a suit, but don't have a pair that I wear regularly that is both dressy and casual like the two pictured above.

2. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

Black jeans + brown cord blazer:

[​IMG]

3. Liquidus

Liquidus Senior member

You seem to already know that it's a bad idea. Are you just asking people to confirm it?

4. landshark

landshark Senior member

Not wearing black and brown together is basically style rule #1

Get some grey pants.

5. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Senior member

post pics of the combo

6. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

I have a pair of these myself. They cut at my ankles but are otherwise comfortable enough.
    Wear the brown cord sport coat but forget the black pants altogether. Wear any other colour but black pants with these shoes. You already knew that.
    Welcome to Styleforum.

7. bkusf

bkusf Member

Why not? I've seen in magazines and it looks pretty sharp. Dark brown cord blazer, white shirt w/ black tie, brown belt, black pants. I'm searching for the pic and I'm just trying to know why this rule is so important. I think it all depends on the shade of the brown and are there any other accents in your atire that supports it.

8. bkusf

bkusf Member

I've read it's a bad idea, but I kinda like the look if done right. Trying to ask if what I'm proposing to wear is a rule breaker.

9. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Senior member

again, post a picture
    so we can see if you're doing it right or not

10. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

I personally don't like/hate the mix of brown and black. Yes, I actually can cope with a black suit :)eek:) done right, but black and brown just don't match at all. Black pants => Black Shoes => Black jacket etc., it's a evil spiral for blackness.

11. Thanks SF (a new me)

Thanks SF (a new me) Senior member

personally, never for me. Im not sure about rules, but it just looks odd

12. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

of course its a rule breaker, and it sounds like a disaster.

But if this is what you want to wear, wear it.

13. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Most 'rules' can be broken. Although mixing black and brown can be tricky it can work.

But why bother - do you have a pair of good dark blue denim jeans? Wouldn't they look better?

If you do decide to mix browns with black be sure to carefully coordinate the shades of brown - it's your only hope.

14. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

Mixing certain black and brown items is possible, but brown shoes with black trousers is one combination that is unlikely to ever look good.

15. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

+1. I'm skeptical that black chinos or denim could ever really look better than their navy or indigo counterparts. But especially not with the proposed brown shoes. Black shoes with brown pants is much more likely to be successful, although still requires care (this is a special case of the "shoes darker than pants" rule, which can also be broken, but only with caution).