• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brown shoe - Oxford or Loafer?

SKooT1027

Reaction score
Looking for a pair of brown shoes to be my main brown pair. I can't decide between an oxford or a loafer. I tried on a few Johnston & Murphy's yesterday, but everything I liked wasn't in my size
frown.gif
. Couldn't find any other decent shoes at the outlets I was at. Is one a better option than another? They will be work shoes and paired with slacks/button down most times, but occasionally khakis/button down.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are wearing slacks/chinos and a button-down most days, then a brown oxford, loafer, blucher or a monk could work. You have a lot of options. All of these shoes could work if you decided to throw on a coat/tie too. Many here aren't into loafers, but I love them. The real key is to get several pairs so that you're not wearing the same pair every day. Let them rest at least a day between wearings and they'll last much longer. Do a search for Allen Edmonds. Maybe a bit stodgy for some, but you can find well made new Allen Edmond shoes for $100-150. That's probably less than Johnston & Murphy and they're better made.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Captoe dark brown oxford with two lines of stitching is just about the most versatile shoe there is. If you really want to be more casual go for a derby/blucher.

SKooT1027

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Grayland
If you are wearing slacks/chinos and a button-down most days, then a brown oxford, loafer, blucher or a monk could work. You have a lot of options. All of these shoes could work if you decided to throw on a coat/tie too. Many here aren't into loafers, but I love them. The real key is to get several pairs so that you're not wearing the same pair every day. Let them rest at least a day between wearings and they'll last much longer. Do a search for Allen Edmonds. Maybe a bit stodgy for some, but you can find well made new Allen Edmond shoes for $100-150. That's probably less than Johnston & Murphy and they're better made.

Thanks! I have a pair of AE Park Aves in black which I wear too much. My brown shoes are garbage. So I'll be cycling between these, and hopefully pick up another of each color in the near future. I looked for AE's but no one sold them yesterday. I'm going to try more places tonight after work. I like the look of loafers a lot, but I feel like a simpler, darker pair of 'lace up' would be more practical. If it matters, I'm a young guy (early 20's) and have a mix of safe color/style clothes as well as lots of bright shirts/pastels and like patterned (for lack of a better term) pants. I'd love a lighter brown shoe, but I know a dark is probably better for the first brown pair.

Also, I saw some yesterday that I liked, but had rubber soles. I couldn't decide if I liked that or not. I tried on some with wooden soles and loved the look, but would those be worse if I'm wearing them 2x/week? I have to walk to/from the train, so I'm out in all weather.

SKooT1027

Reaction score
Originally Posted by radicaldog
Captoe dark brown oxford with two lines of stitching is just about the most versatile shoe there is. If you really want to be more casual go for a derby/blucher.

Okay thanks. Yeah I figured another captoe is the most versatile. I wouldn't mind a bit of variety.

I don't want anything really casual. Some days I can dress down a bit (khakis/chinos), but others I'll be in meetings with some of the higher ups at the firm. I'd rather err on the dressier side.

suitsusid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by radicaldog

i second this! 1 line stiching is ok to..

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by suitsusid
i second this! 1 line stiching is ok to..
+2. I'd buy it in a blucher for added versatility.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads