• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brown or gray denim

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hello everyone, i'd like to get two pairs of jeans, one brown, and the other gray. i know levi's makes their 501s in these colors but i can't find them in stores. i've found the gray ones online but haven't had any luck with the brown. if someone knows where i can find these colors i'd appreciate the help. btw, they don't have to be levi's, but i do want a regular rise and regular fit. i don't want to look like britney spears.
wink.gif

Sevcom

Reaction score
Yoox is showing Helmut Lang jeans in both grey and brown.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
matadorpoeta,

I just picked up a pair of Earl Jeans yesterday in chicago, they are a grayish color, semi-distressed. They were from Sak's. I also have a pair of Levi's Premium that are more conventional, they are gray and don't have the distressed finish (aside from a bit of wearing on the front of the jeans, and a little fraying on the bottom and near the pockets). I'd check with those companies, as well as Helmut Lang which was mentioned before.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks for the responses, but i bought some gray levi's 550s yesterday at the mall. i wanted the original 501s but they fit me skin tight. i'm not overweight, though my legs are a bit thick, still it was a surprise. i visited the levi's store in santa monica thinking they would have everything, but they only carried the high end stuff which is made with a low rise and a slim cut. the look seems very gay to me, or maybe just too '70s, or both. on women they're called "butt pants." i found some brown calvin klein jeans that would have worked, but that store didn't have my size. at least now i know my jeans are out there
biggrin.gif

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are supposed to buy 501's about 3 to 4 sizes larger than you would normally wear if you want a more relaxed look. Don't ask me why, but that's a rule I heard way back in high school, and it's never been that far wrong.

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
You are supposed to buy 501's about 3 to 4 sizes larger than you would normally wear if you want a more relaxed look.  Don't ask me why, but that's a rule I heard way back in high school, and it's never been that far wrong.
Maybe that's because they're designed to be a unisex jean..?

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Thought I'd dig up this topic.

I was in the Saks 5th Ave. here in Phoenix today and saw some brown jeans by Zegna for $140. Didn't look all that close to determine the rise or fit, but I did notice they were still cheaper than the Paper, Denim & Cloth jeans that were retailing for $160 (or somewhere around that level.)

Personally, I'll stick with my Levi's and Wranglers.

Bradford

Pink22m

Reaction score
The Zegna jeans I have were around $150, and I can tell you they fit quite snug. In fact, I normally wear a 30 inch waist, and the Zegna's I have are 32, but still fit pretty snug. They are definetely nice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads