• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brown or black shoes with this navy suit?

Brown shoes or black?

• Brown

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Black

Votes: 14 66.7%

• Total voters

Dipty

Reaction score
Hey there.

First of all, I just want to apologise in advance if this is the wrong section to post this, I've been a fan of this website and its content for some time now, but this is my first post. Also, sorry if this is a bit much to read.

Now that is out of the way, I'll get straight into it. A couple of months ago I purchased a navy suit from Country Road (picture attached) for my upcoming formal (I am 16) which is in November. I plan on wearing the suit at least fairly often after my formal, which is why I decided to put a fairly good amount of money into it. Anyway, as you might just be able to make out, the shoes that I'm wearing in that photo are pretty old now, are worn out. I'm horribly stuck between the decision of black vs brown lace up dress shoes to go with my suit (brown shoes which I will possibly get have been attached). I want to say now that I do prefer brown, as they add a subtle touch of colour and flair.

What are your thoughts on this? Should I go with my initial preference and get a pair of brown shoes? Or do you think I should go black? (Keep in mind that if you say brown, it must be the ones I have pictured, for a couple of different reasons - firstly because I'm pretty close to hitting the next stage in my loyalty card with CR and secondly because I'm meant to come to a decision within the next 7 or so days before my birthday.
Also, I should mention that the suit does tend to look a touch darker in darker areas, and I've attached a couple of retail photos I found on Country Road's website that show how the suit looks darker sometimes. (I wasn't sure if this was relevant, I just wanted to make sure that I got the whole colour description thing right)

Thank you to anyone who offers me their opinion!

Regards,
Sky W.

-My suit as it currently is

-The brown shoes I mentioned

-These two photos show how the suit looks a bit darker (which generally happens indoors when not under direct light)

Shawl Lapel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are your plans for wearing the suit after the formal? Convention would state black shoes for anything formal especially if it's in the evening. In the long run, black is safe, brown can work though possibly in less instances, again depending on what else you plan to use the suit for.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TLDR but back every time with navy.

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My choice is neither brown nor black, but oxblood or burgundy.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My choice is neither brown nor black, but oxblood or burgundy.

This would be my vote as well. Also, if you are investing in nice shoes, think about where else you will wear them. You will likely find brown or oxblood more versatile.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black oxfords. If you have only one pair of dress shoes to wear with a suit, they should be black. There are times when only black shoes will do, so until you have more than one good pair of dress shoes, get black ones.

StephenB

Reaction score
That suit is a pretty blue navy, I think a brown/walnut color would look sharp especially at an event like a high school formal.

But taking into account you are in high school I like Archibald's recommendation.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll say black since the event is at night and formal. I also don't like the brown shoes you picked out, so there is another reason for you. Just don't go buy those same shoes in black.

Matt S

Reaction score

I'll say black since the event is at night and formal. I also don't like the brown shoes you picked out, so there is another reason for you. Just don't go buy those same shoes in black.

Exactly. If you don't have a pair of black shoes already, you'll need to get those. Black shoes are necessary for a formal in the evening. The light brown shoes pictured are too light for this dark navy suit anyway. Those shoes go better with a light navy/dark blue or lighter. As others have said, burgundy shoes would go nicely, but still not for a formal.

Dipty

Reaction score
I found Shawl Lapel's comment to be the most informative. Thank you all for your help, I ended up getting black oxfords. :)

Ivar

Reaction score
Good choice, and grats on the new shoes!

Last edited:

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A pair of burgundy shoes would be a good investment for informal occasions.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics