• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

brown lace ups to be worn with jeans - suggestions needed

thesecondprize

Reaction score
Currently looking to purchase my first pair of brown lace ups (the first step in phasing out my exisiting loafer lineup). They will be worn almost exclusively with medium/dark wash jeans, a button down shirt & sweater. I'd love suggestions.

My favorite so far are these: http://www.crockettandjones.co.uk/handgrade-weymou.html . But they're out of my pricerange. Budget is a serious concern - would love to stay under $200 - but would consider spending more (up to, say, $350) for the right pair.

Most AE shoes have a little too much (or too little broguing) for my taste, but two of the currently discounted pairs could work: Quinton and Malvern (yes, I realize this is a Chukka - I live in New England so that would work well), both in Brown Burnished Calf.

Thanks.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think for jeans you need something a little more visually interesting like a wingtip. Those would list look bland to me as they are a very conservative and will look like you forgot your slacks or something.

It took me a while to find the right shoes for casual wear, but I found these EG in the FS section. They are out of your price range, but I'm sure you can find something similiar by another maker. The second picture shows the true color better.

egfalkirk11115d82last003.jpg

egfalkirk11115d82last002.jpg

The shoe I was really looking for was a suede brown longwing, but I am more than happy with the EGs.

These were bought to replace my very old John Varvatos which have already been resoled once and are on their way out:

Shoes036.jpg

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry Patek, I find those wingtips a bit ugly but I agree that the OP's suggestion would maybe look to sober with jeans.

I personally tend to favour suede with jeans. Also, I am not too keen on combining bals with jeans. With jeans, I mostly wear ankle boots or suede derbies or monks during the colder part of the year, and leather or suede sneakers or loafers in summer.

(Also, I think that those John Varvatos would look nice with jeans and if the soles are close to worn out, just put on topys and they will last longer than the jeans)

seanpatrickb

Reaction score
I like the dress chukka and in the same vein would suggest a pair of ptb's. In that price range i'd try to find a shell pair on b&s or ebay.

Edit: Would also suggest some longwings.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by epa
Sorry Patek, I find those wingtips a bit ugly but I agree that the OP's suggestion would maybe look to sober with jeans.

I personally tend to favour suede with jeans. Also, I am not too keen on combining bals with jeans. With jeans, I mostly wear ankle boots or suede derbies or monks during the colder part of the year, and leather or suede sneakers or loafers in summer.

(Also, I think that those John Varvatos would look nice with jeans and if the soles are close to worn out, just put on topys and they will last longer than the jeans)

I agree that they don't look too hot in the picture, but oce I received them, I was pleasently supprised. However, to each his own. As least I know that I won't bump into you wearing them on my next trip to Madrid
wink.gif

I may end op keeping the JV shoes as they have served me well for almost four years and have a certain patina to them. The issue with them now is the stiching around the soles is starting to come out and I do not know a cobbler that can repair them.

I do agree with the suede comment and I'm still looking for "that" shoe.

xela19115

Reaction score
This is what I wore the other day. Magnanni's with the rubber sole. One of the comfortable pairs I own. They actually feel as good as they look.
5364751614_c9bd75f1b5_b.jpg

TC11201

Reaction score
1. Split toe blucher or derby - enough going on to keep things interesting but not so formal that you have a weird upstairs / downstairs thing going
2. Alden Indy boots - check out Leather Soul's website - they have plenty of things that would look great with jeans
3. Wing tip derbies like some of the Trickers models that are on pediwear's site or some of the Tricker's models on Leather Soul
4. Chelsea boots with a dainite or vibram sole (C&J has a pair)
5. Somewhere on the AS Handgrade thread, Slewfoot has pics of a new pair of cap toed boots he had made - looks superb with jeans

I also second the thought on suede - that can be a great look. Especially in some of the styles referenced above.

seanpatrickb

Reaction score
If I had unlimited funds I would probably take a pair of these to pair with jeans, photo courtesy of leather soul. Combine a lot of what has been mentioned here.

snst2.jpg

TC11201

Reaction score
Originally Posted by seanpatrickb
If I had unlimited funds I would probably take a pair of these to pair with jeans, photo courtesy of leather soul. Combine a lot of what has been mentioned here.

snst2.jpg

+1 - great call! That would be a terrific combo with jeans.

Pennyfeather

Reaction score
Inspired by this,

brougesandmonkstraps.jpg

I've been debating for a couple of days now whether to buy these.

http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/produc...lectedFitID=0"

These would be strictly for wearing with jeans, so I'm not too worried about the overall quality of the loake (as compared to the more up-scale C+J you've been looking at). I haven't bought them yet because the sole picture provided by the herring site leaves too much up to my imagination. I can't quite shake the feeling that I'm deluding myself into thinking the loake will, over time, turn into the shoe in the picture.

Anyone else any experience with the loake chester? Am I deluding myself? And why am I sooooo lame as to be even considering trying to dress like a pic from the sartorialist?

ktrp

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pennyfeather
I haven't bought them yet because the sole picture provided by the herring site leaves too much up to my imagination. I can't quite shake the feeling that I'm deluding myself into thinking the loake will, over time, turn into the shoe in the picture.

For a while I was looking at the picture thinking that the leather sole looked fine. Anyway ....

Notes on Loake Chester:
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?p=3009985

As for the colour shift with ageing, if you search there are quite a few threads on antiquing showing good results.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pennyfeather
Inspired by this,

brougesandmonkstraps.jpg

I've been debating for a couple of days now whether to buy these.

http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/produc...lectedFitID=0"

These would be strictly for wearing with jeans, so I'm not too worried about the overall quality of the loake (as compared to the more up-scale C+J you've been looking at). I haven't bought them yet because the sole picture provided by the herring site leaves too much up to my imagination. I can't quite shake the feeling that I'm deluding myself into thinking the loake will, over time, turn into the shoe in the picture.

Anyone else any experience with the loake chester? Am I deluding myself? And why am I sooooo lame as to be even considering trying to dress like a pic from the sartorialist?

Is that a girl on the right?

thesecondprize

Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback - I will do some searching and likely return with more questions. In the meantime:
Originally Posted by Patek
These were bought to replace my very old John Varvatos which have already been resoled once and are on their way out:
Shoes036.jpg

I quite like your JV. [edit: Closest thing on their site are these: http://www.johnvarvatos.com/Norwegia...32/p/1952.html , which I like less than yours.] Know of anyone else who makes a comparable pair?
Originally Posted by epa
With jeans, I mostly wear ankle boots or suede derbies or monks during the colder part of the year, and leather or suede sneakers or loafers in summer.
What kind of monks do you wear with jeans?
Originally Posted by seanpatrickb
I like the dress chukka and in the same vein would suggest a pair of ptb's. In that price range i'd try to find a shell pair on b&s or ebay.
New here. I don't know what "PTB" or "B&S" stand for. Does "shell pair" refer to cordovan? Thanks...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads