• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brown in town

Brown in town:

• Totally acceptable, I love it!

• Acceptable, but not for business.

• Yes, but only for shoes.

• NEVER.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Styleforum Ari

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
reagan suit.jpg
brown suit.jpg
brown suit yes.jpeg
brown suit town.jpeg
7ddaf009205b5396005f0d5291103d9a.jpg

dreamspace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Outdated view that is probably confined to City (of London) in this day and age.

JJ Katz

Reaction score
In terms of shoes, that 'rule' died two decades ago. Brown suits are still rare (as opposed to NOT wearing a suit, or tie, etc.)

Last edited:

BXpress

Reaction score
I guess many have their own set of principles and their own tweaked sense of formality. 2 months ago i wore a rather loud burgundy medallion print madder tie to a classical concert. Absolutely not offensive when considering how 90% of the men there were dressed. And the other 9.5% wore the typical ill fitting suits or blazers. If you had seen what i have seen...The concert was at the Charlottenburg Palace in Berlin. It was summer ok, but still..

On the brown: in my opinion brown shoes are acceptable for nothing higher than a good restaurant or a sunday stroll, or sunday coffee if you care to suit up.

So no, bringing brown shoes to business seems a bit juvenile imo.

Dark Brown suits though are freaking awesome, best worn with black shoes. So rare and so amazing when made well, i don't think anyone would mind.

NoNameNecessary

Reaction score
I guess many have their own set of principles and their own tweaked sense of formality. 2 months ago i wore a rather loud burgundy medallion print madder tie to a classical concert. Absolutely not offensive when considering how 90% of the men there were dressed. And the other 9.5% wore the typical ill fitting suits or blazers. If you had seen what i have seen...The concert was at the Charlottenburg Palace in Berlin. It was summer ok, but still..

On the brown: in my opinion brown shoes are acceptable for nothing higher than a good restaurant or a sunday stroll, or sunday coffee if you care to suit up.

So no, bringing brown shoes to business seems a bit juvenile imo.

Dark Brown suits though are freaking awesome, best worn with black shoes. So rare and so amazing when made well, i don't think anyone would mind.
No, black and brown never work, never

JJ Katz

Reaction score
Yes, brown trousers only work with brown shoes including burgundy. Not black blue or any other cold tone color

Can you substantiate this sweeping statement or should we just take your word for it?

I personally find, like BXpress, that very dark browns in tailored clothing, especially if the fabric contains black thread or a pattern with some black/charcoal, work much better with black calfskin than with most other browns. The same goes for a hat (in the rather rare case of one wearing a hat). I am not the first to observe this.

BXpress

Reaction score
Yes, brown trousers only work with brown shoes including burgundy. Not black blue or any other cold tone color

I can understand that there is a certain appeal to having a unicoloured outfit, but how can you even achieve that? Say, you manage to find a pair of brown shoes that are very similar to your suit, it still won't be matching. You shoes will be shiny while the suit will be muted(well, hopefully). That alone means it is near impossible and you will have that odd effect of "same color, different shade". On top of it, the two pieces will be close to each other, which makes it worse. What will work would be a light brown suit with obviously darker brown shoes. I can agree on that. There has to be some degree of contrast imo.

However, in my opinion, it is one of the worst colour faux pas ever to have same colours/different shade close to each other. Image some dark navy trousers with medium blue socks. Ridiculous! Or imagine a light blue shirt with a darker blue pocket square.

Oh and on burgundy shoes with brown suits...my friend i can agree on some things but this....just no. Might as well pair bright red with orange.

Last edited:

The Louche V2

Reaction score
All of the statements above on shoes with dark brown have my mind racing. I HATE brown + black, but I also agree that often brown + brown is a fail, too. What color shoes are truly the right choice for wear next to a dark brown worsted?

pacnyc

Reaction score
This will likely be a thread where everybody talks at cross-purposes, because what is acceptable in one “town” is not in another, and certainly not in London. ( “In England, you have to be dignified; if you are awake, it is already vulgar,” George Balanchine said. I adore and admire London and hope it never changes. Someone has to set the standard.)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads