• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brown Flannel Chalk Stripe

coltboy75

Reaction score
I have a Brown Flannel Chalk stripe suit that I love. Problem is I have never been confident or satisfied with the shirt and tie selection. I have worn white, ecru and pale gray shirts with a variety of brown ties. Any suggestions or pictures would be greatly appreciated.

Lovellum

Reaction score
I'm thinking a cream or sky blue shirt, with a checkered pink tie.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coltboy75
I have a Brown Flannel Chalk stripe suit that I love. Problem is I have never been confident or satisfied with the shirt and tie selection. I have worn white, ecru and pale gray shirts with a variety of brown ties. Any suggestions or pictures would be greatly appreciated.
A white or lightly checked* shirt here will offer you a fairly wide selection of excellent tie choices. Reds, yellows, oranges, or blues will all work. Look at the WAYWRN thread for some good inspiration on brown suit/coat pairings. * Depending on the size/width of the chalk stripes, obviously. Mixing patterns is great when done properly, but is tough to pull off the first few times out of the gate.

I. Gentantithesis

Reaction score
Blue & white end-on-end spread collar shirt, dark jade ground tie with thingys. Dark chocolate suede balmorals, dark coffin grey vintage Bentley with dark jade leather interior.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Light blue shirt, navy tie.

Originally Posted by amnesiacv2
I have a brown shirt that pairs very well with a french blue shirt.
You wear two shirts?

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A man shouldnt worry about what shirts go with what suits. Exceptions include not wearing shirts that match the background color of the suit. This is especially true for brown and tan suits and less so for a black one. Sometimes, if a suit has a colored stripe in it, you can pick up that color with the shirt. However, a concern with pleasing, pretty or perfect combinations is feminine and defeats the intrinsic, serendipitous power that a man's clothing is meant to give him.

Spats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
A man shouldnt worry about what shirts go with what suits. ...a concern with pleasing, pretty or perfect combinations is feminine and defeats the intrinsic, serendipitous power that a man's clothing is meant to give him.
Can he say this on SF?
confused.gif

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have more than several paisley ties, they pair well with blue, brown or grey chalkstripe.
ecru, lt. blue. lavender, pink, white shirts - work well with brown, blue chalkstripe
don't be afraid to put a slightly lighter shoe with the brown chalkstripe either...

coltboy75

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I will strat looking for the light blues, pinks and lavenders. I tend to like the lighter or softer tones for shirts than the bold to dark shades.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I will wear virtually any color shirt with mine, but I think I reach for pink the most.

coltboy75

Reaction score
Well, I went through the closet after looking at different threads and reading your imput. Here is what I wore to church today. A penny for your thoughts!!

Bartolo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
A man shouldnt worry about what shirts go with what suits. Exceptions include not wearing shirts that match the background color of the suit. This is especially true for brown and tan suits and less so for a black one. Sometimes, if a suit has a colored stripe in it, you can pick up that color with the shirt. However, a concern with pleasing, pretty or perfect combinations is feminine and defeats the intrinsic, serendipitous power that a man's clothing is meant to give him.

You probably condone the consumption of red wine with fish.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads