• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brown balms for business casual?

converge

Reaction score
Are brown balmorals too dressy for business casual? By casual I mean, odd trousers, button-down shirts or sweaters, no suit jacket or tie. Specifically I'm looking at the AE Evanstons. Or would I be better off with a blutcher?

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I think they're fine (though bluchers and monks may be a tad better).

Btw, you may want to refer to them as 'bals' and not 'balms.' I thought you were talking about a medical preparation of some sort.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Personally, I reserve bals mostly for suits. I think they can work OK with sportcoat and tie, but go more casual than that and the waters get murky. Bals might work with a slim, dressy pair of odd trou and a sweater, but not so much with a bulky pair of khakis. You really have to eyeball it.

I once saw a guy in odd trou, rolled-up shirtsleeves and a pair of light brown bals. Everything looked expensive and new, and it just seemed so odd, like he was trying very hard.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bals only with suits. The only exception I make is wearing brown suede half-brogue bals with a sportcoat/blazer and tie. Never with anything more casual.

GeorgePaul

Reaction score
Originally Posted by converge
Are brown balmorals too dressy for business casual? By casual I mean, odd trousers, button-down shirts or sweaters, no suit jacket or tie. Specifically I'm looking at the AE Evanstons. Or would I be better off with a blutcher?
You can do it, but the Evanston cap-toe oxford is quite formal looking, even in brown. I think you would be better off with a blucher like the AE Delray.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads