• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brown and blue shirt spread in gq

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what do folks think about the two-page spread on brown-and-blue stripes and checks in the current GQ?

personally i like this color combination. i guess i'm a bigger fan of the stripes than the checks though.

i also enjoyed some of the pattern mixing with the ties.

has anyone seen any similar patterns on jantzen?

/andrew

PeterMetro

Reaction score
The best part about this spread is that I had a couple shirts made that look exactly like them. Don't you love it when magazines tout something you already own as being "the next big thing"?

markr

Reaction score
I've been wearing blue and brown checks for a while now, and actually, I don't like it when something like that becomes the next big thing.  I don't need GQ to tell me that that combination works for me, and I'd like to be able to keep wearing my blue and brown shirts without looking like a GQ follower.

By the way, I've been looking for a nice blue and brown striped pattern on Jantzen (to go with a new blue and brown striped tie I picked up recently) but haven't seen anything I like.  Anybody have any suggestions from the Jantzen selection?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The combination of brown and blue works great (I sometimes throw in burnt orange or indian red for extra effect) but I was not impressed with the looks GQ presented. All the combinations looked sort of bland and two dimensional for me. Or maybe just crap photography. I think that the photo editors for Details (and now Vitals) are much, much, better at presentation.

aybojs

Reaction score
Not my style personally... if I wanted blue and brown I'd go to Wittgenstein...

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i gotta pick me up one of those Vitals mags.

---

any thoughts on the Bowie ads for hilfiger H? (aside from the fact that they are all contrasty so you can't see any details...)

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The combination of brown and blue works great (I sometimes throw in burnt orange or indian red for extra effect) but I was not impressed with the looks GQ presented.  All the combinations looked sort of bland and two dimensional for me.  Or maybe just crap photography.  I think that the photo editors for Details (and now Vitals) are much, much, better at presentation.
Probably the photographers themselves.

kidkim2

Reaction score
aybojs--

But can we trust the Notebooks to represent the post-Tractatus Wittgenstein?

Mike

aybojs

Reaction score
aybojs--

But can we trust the Notebooks to represent the post-Tractatus Wittgenstein?

Mike
Since I can't speak of that, I must pass over it in silence.

Proposition 7 was the only part of T L-P I've read entirely, heh. All right, that's enough out of me.

kidkim2

Reaction score
"Since I can't speak of that. . . ."

LOL.

kidkim2

Reaction score
aybojs--

If we adopt Proposition 7, what becomes of this forum? (And 99% of the rest of the Net?)

Mike

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had a shirt made by Jantzen out of this fabric about six months ago: http://www.jantzentailor.com/stripe332.htm It came out pretty well. The fabric is a decent quality, and is a bit nicer looking than the stripe in the big T&A shirt pictured in GQ since it has more interesting blue stripes. I wore it on Friday with a Tiffany tie (navy with brown golden retrievers on it--chicks dig it), and a medium gray suit. Worked pretty well, I think. Montecristo #4

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that's a pretty decent stripe from jantzen. if you could swing a picture of the actual shirt, i'd love to see it. (the online swatches are a little off in terms of color.) by request here are links to some scans of the GQ pages: page 1. page 2. /andrew

Brian SD

Reaction score
I like the Zegna set-up the best. (top right). None of those looks really look all that appealing to me to be honest, but I am a fan of blue and brown together.

markr

Reaction score
Montecristo: If you've got access to a digital camera, I'd love to see a pic of the Jantzen shirt you mention.  I just got my first Jantzen shirt in the mail yesterday (checkers #159) and while I like it, it's not exactly what I'd envisioned based on the swatch on the website.  I think I like the pattern you picked, but I'd really like to see the shirt to be sure.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads