Brown and blue shirt spread in gq

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by faustian bargain, Aug 30, 2004.

1. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Senior member

what do folks think about the two-page spread on brown-and-blue stripes and checks in the current GQ?

personally i like this color combination. i guess i'm a bigger fan of the stripes than the checks though.

i also enjoyed some of the pattern mixing with the ties.

has anyone seen any similar patterns on jantzen?

/andrew

2. PeterMetro

PeterMetro Senior member

The best part about this spread is that I had a couple shirts made that look exactly like them. Don't you love it when magazines tout something you already own as being "the next big thing"?

3. markr

markr Senior member

I've been wearing blue and brown checks for a while now, and actually, I don't like it when something like that becomes the next big thing.  I don't need GQ to tell me that that combination works for me, and I'd like to be able to keep wearing my blue and brown shirts without looking like a GQ follower.

By the way, I've been looking for a nice blue and brown striped pattern on Jantzen (to go with a new blue and brown striped tie I picked up recently) but haven't seen anything I like.  Anybody have any suggestions from the Jantzen selection?

4. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

The combination of brown and blue works great (I sometimes throw in burnt orange or indian red for extra effect) but I was not impressed with the looks GQ presented. All the combinations looked sort of bland and two dimensional for me. Or maybe just crap photography. I think that the photo editors for Details (and now Vitals) are much, much, better at presentation.

5. aybojs

aybojs Senior member

Not my style personally... if I wanted blue and brown I'd go to Wittgenstein...

6. faustian bargain

i gotta pick me up one of those Vitals mags.

---

any thoughts on the Bowie ads for hilfiger H? (aside from the fact that they are all contrasty so you can't see any details...)

7. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Probably the photographers themselves.

8. kidkim2

kidkim2 Senior member

aybojs--

But can we trust the Notebooks to represent the post-Tractatus Wittgenstein?

Mike

9. aybojs

aybojs Senior member

Since I can't speak of that, I must pass over it in silence.

Proposition 7 was the only part of T L-P I've read entirely, heh. All right, that's enough out of me.

10. kidkim2

kidkim2 Senior member

"Since I can't speak of that. . . ."

LOL.

11. kidkim2

kidkim2 Senior member

aybojs--

If we adopt Proposition 7, what becomes of this forum? (And 99% of the rest of the Net?)

Mike

12. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Senior member

I had a shirt made by Jantzen out of this fabric about six months ago: http://www.jantzentailor.com/stripe332.htm It came out pretty well. The fabric is a decent quality, and is a bit nicer looking than the stripe in the big T&A shirt pictured in GQ since it has more interesting blue stripes. I wore it on Friday with a Tiffany tie (navy with brown golden retrievers on it--chicks dig it), and a medium gray suit. Worked pretty well, I think. Montecristo #4

13. faustian bargain

that's a pretty decent stripe from jantzen. if you could swing a picture of the actual shirt, i'd love to see it. (the online swatches are a little off in terms of color.) by request here are links to some scans of the GQ pages: [​IMG] page 1. [​IMG] page 2. /andrew

14. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

I like the Zegna set-up the best. (top right). None of those looks really look all that appealing to me to be honest, but I am a fan of blue and brown together.

15. markr

markr Senior member

Montecristo: If you've got access to a digital camera, I'd love to see a pic of the Jantzen shirt you mention.  I just got my first Jantzen shirt in the mail yesterday (checkers #159) and while I like it, it's not exactly what I'd envisioned based on the swatch on the website.  I think I like the pattern you picked, but I'd really like to see the shirt to be sure.