• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Brosnan 007 Monks With a Tux ?

conal

Reaction score
In the movie, "The World Is Not Enough" Pierce Brosnan uses black Church's Presley monk strap shoes. I thought there was a scene where he wore them with a tux. Am I correct and are formal looking monks appropriate with a tux?

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They would be bending the rules a little bit, but I don't see why conservitive black monks, highly shined, wouldn't work. Or even (gasp) have a pair of monks made in patent.

Ianiceman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's a very well known photo of Cary Grant, which is on the cover of the book 'Evenings With Cary Grant' showing him in black tie sitting cross legged with penny loafers. If he can get away with penny loafers monks are a step up but I would stick with lace ups myself.

rvan

Reaction score
I do know from watching TWINE numerous times that he does wear a pair of brown Church's monk-straps throughout the climax of the film, specifically during the climax when he is tortured at the end.
The black monk-straps appear in the middle during the pipeline scenes. I believe are no longer available ready to wear but can be custom made for you.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ianiceman
There's a very well known photo of Cary Grant, which is on the cover of the book 'Evenings With Cary Grant' showing him in black tie sitting cross legged with penny loafers. If he can get away with penny loafers monks are a step up but I would stick with lace ups myself.

Actually, that's not such a stretch. Not a whole lot of distance between a penny loafer and a formal pump.

Amiens

Reaction score
He was Cary Grant; comparatively few of us are.

Matt S

Reaction score
Originally Posted by conal
In the movie, "The World Is Not Enough" Pierce Brosnan uses black Church's Presley monk strap shoes. I thought there was a scene where he wore them with a tux. Am I correct and are formal looking monks appropriate with a tux?

I just looked the the scenes very carefully and, while I couldn't tell if the dress shoes he wore with the dinner suit were a monk or lace, they were either patent leather or Church's polished binder. I suspect he wore a proper pair of shoes and not the Presley.

conal

Reaction score
Did you review the scenes from the DVD or from the internet? If from the internet, would you mind directing me to the appropriate site; I'd like to check it out. Thanks

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Was posting Brosnan's ball-cleavage really necessary?

derekzee

Reaction score
he mentioned the church monks as one of the items he kept from his bond days. i don't like them with a tux but if i had only one pair of black dress shoes then i wouldn't mind. i like patent adelaides though for black tie.

Matt S

Reaction score
Did you review the scenes from the DVD or from the internet? If from the internet, would you mind directing me to the appropriate site; I'd like to check it out. Thanks

I went through the DVD, frame by frame during the scenes were the shoes are visible.

conal

Reaction score
After I posted my question to you I realized you may have thought I was questioning your conclusion, I was not. I was hoping it was somewhere on the internet; I don't feel like renting/buying the DVD. Thanks for taking your time to research my question, your effort is certainly appreciated.

Bull

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Was posting Brosnan's ball-cleavage really necessary?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

+1

JibranK

Reaction score
After I posted my question to you I realized you may have thought I was questioning your conclusion, I was not. I was hoping it was somewhere on the internet; I don't feel like renting/buying the DVD. Thanks for taking your time to research my question, your effort is certainly appreciated.

I don't understand why you would do such a thing to yourself. I got the Blu-ray for free and I still felt ripped off when I watched it.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Most Interesting Fashion Collaboration of 2020

• JW Anderson x Uniqlo

• Nigo x Virgil Abloh

• Converse x Midnight Studios

• Rick Owens x Champion

• Barbour x Engineered Garments

• Adidas x Bed JW Ford

• Jordan Brand x Dior

• Billie Eilish x Takashi Murakami

• Lego x Levi's