• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BrooksCool suits

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brookscool These weren't such hot sellers last year, but just looking at the webpage, they don't look that bad in terms of silhouette. Last year they had some mohair content, not sure about this year (website indicates no). Anyways, they were fully canvassed suits and very, very light. Of course, when you get a cheaper "rain repellant fabric," you give up some elegance and quality. My question: Is the Brookscool suit a necessary evil for an East Coat summer? At least for someone who (1) has to wear a dark suit, and (2) doesn't really wanna buy an expensive mohair, fresco, or silk suit for summer? Or is the need for a "summer suit" overblown these days.

lisapop

Reaction score
I have never much "warmed up to" the Summer weave fabrics, so if I'm outside during the dog days of August (or July) wearing one of my 11/12 oz. suits, I do the practical thing and just carry my jacket with a couple fingers.  Get to show off my Thurston braces and my split-back trousers that way, too.
Grayson

Bags

Reaction score
I saw these here in my local BB in DC and debated about picking one up during the 20% off sale a few weeks ago.  The cuts were respectable, double-vented, 3-button.  The jacket was partially lined, and the fabric was indeed very light.  But if I recall correctly, I'm pretty certain they were not fully canvassed.

The problem though, was that they are a wool/poly blend, and I just couldn't bring myself to go polyester.  I notice that the website not-so-subtly doesn't mention fabric content.  I don't recall the percentages, but there was definitely poly involved.  The fabric didn't look bad in my opinion, but I just couldn't get over my paranoia that people would be staring at "that guy in the polyester suit."

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
The streets can get hot. And if you ever find you have to step down into that smoldering inferno known as the New York City Subway system in August, you will be very glad of your purchase of summer suitings.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last year's version was definitely fully canvassed. I haven't seen this year's version yet. I'm debating picking one up this Wednesday for the 25% off sale. Haven't made up my mind yet. If they are double vented, all the better.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brookscool These weren't such hot sellers last year, but just looking at the webpage, they don't look that bad in terms of silhouette. Â Last year they had some mohair content, not sure about this year (website indicates no). Â Anyways, they were fully canvassed suits and very, very light. Â Of course, when you get a cheaper "rain repellant fabric," you give up some elegance and quality. My question: Â Is the Brookscool suit a necessary evil for an East Coat summer? Â At least for someone who (1) has to wear a dark suit, and (2) doesn't really wanna buy an expensive mohair, fresco, or silk suit for summer? Â Or is the need for a "summer suit" overblown these days.
I almost bought an unaltered navy blue one of these last year on Ebay that was left over from the 2004 collection (or maybe older). But the poly content (visible in the tag in the pictures) scared me off. I just couldn't see how poly makes you cool in the summer.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last year's version was definitely fully canvassed.  I haven't seen this year's version yet.  I'm debating picking one up this Wednesday for the 25% off sale.  Haven't made up my mind yet.  If they are double vented, all the better.
What is this 25% off sale you speak of?

.?.?

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On Wednesday -- and I don't know if you need an invitation or not -- they are having an event for the Make a Wish Foundation. All purchases that day (again, perhaps only with the invitation) receive 15% off, and it is bumped up to 25% when using your BB card.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On Wednesday -- and I don't know if you need an invitation or not -- they are having an event for the Make a Wish Foundation.  All purchases that day (again, perhaps only with the invitation) receive 15% off, and it is bumped up to 25% when using your BB card.
Thanks for the info. I have neither an invitation nor a BB card, so I won't be rushing down there.

If you do go check out the Brookscool suits, please post back your assessment. I like to have at least one summer weight suit and my current one is coming to the end of its useful life.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On Wednesday -- and I don't know if you need an invitation or not -- they are having an event for the Make a Wish Foundation.  All purchases that day (again, perhaps only with the invitation) receive 15% off, and it is bumped up to 25% when using your BB card.
No invite necessary.

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In Dallas in the summertime joggers burst into flames on a regular basis. A few summers ago we had 100 days straight over 100 degrees.

I like that, I love hot weather but forget a suit heavier than that godawful and now famous RLPL thong swimsuit.

Here in summertime you need a very light and breathable weave in a qtr-lined construction... and you will still be miserable.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads