• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BROOKS TASSEL LOAFERS FOR A GUY IN HIS 20s?

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have one pair of black Ferragamo tassel loafers. I think they look interesting with dark high contrast jeans, but wouldn't wear them with business or business casual wear.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The fact that so many lawyers wear them is not a ringing endorsement.  Of all the "suit wearing" professional fields, lawyers are probably, as a whole, the most poorly dressed.

Plenty of things are timeless, it doesnt mean they look good.  The vast majority of men are bad dressers.  We all know this.  The vast majority of men own tassel loafers.  Its not a coincedence.
No.  The Brooks cordo  tassle is in a class of its own, and is the only tassle acceptable.  It's an exception to any rule.

Edited for poor grammar, if not taste.

mano

Reaction score
Alden makes an excellent shoe and if you like the style, get them. Many well dressed people wear tassel loafers, that's why even the finest shoe makers make them. I have several pair and have seen people of all ages wear them.

Can you ever imagine anyone telling you, "I hate your tassel loafers"?

mano

Reaction score
(Phil @ Mar. 04 2005,06:24) The fact that so many lawyers wear them is not a ringing endorsement. Â Of all the "suit wearing" professional fields, lawyers are probably, as a whole, the most poorly dressed. Â Plenty of things are timeless, it doesnt mean they look good. Â The vast majority of men are bad dressers. Â We all know this. Â The vast majority of men own tassel loafers. Â Its not a coincedence.
No.  The Brooks cordo  tassle is in a class of its own, and is the only tassle acceptable.  It's an exception to any rule. Edited for poor grammar, if not taste.
Phil and Horace are doing their Bresch impersonations.

nightowl6261a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You guys are odd at times in your style issues, that shoe is still one of the biggest selling styles on the market for biz loafers, and as I seller of many fine styles, the Forum members grabbed them up in all colors available when I had that exact look from Grenson, between the Cap and the Tassle, they were gone fast....as to the question, no for biz it is not too old or too unstylis, and if you do decide you want them I will sell them to you with the Alden label for 15% off MSRP whenever you are ready for them.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure... these are great for a guy in his 20's who wants to look like an old fart. Pair these shoes with a pair of double pleated, cuffed Dockers, and it's par for the course.

My sentiments exactly. As for nightowl's comment:

that shoe is still one of the biggest selling styles on the market for biz loafers,

in reference to tassel loafers, I can say only that most American men, wealthly or poor, have atrocious tastes, and that men in their 20's buying these shoes (in the loosest sense of the word) are nearly beyond sartorial redemption.

To those whose excuse for wearing these shoes is that they allow them to fit into their corporate environment, I must suggest that you find a new corporate environment, immediately, before you lose your sole and find yourself thinking "Hey, they don't look half bad after all.

auto90403

Reaction score
I own those exact loafers the first poster is inquirying about.

I bought them 20 years ago, when I had just graduated from business school and was working in NYC as an investment banker. I remember the Brooks salesman telling me that Alden not only made the shoe but had invented the style.

Brooks tasseled loafers were so ubiquitous on Wall Street they were called "merger slippers."

If you're going to wear that style of loafer, buy them from BB or Alden. Don't wear Brand X, no matter how good a shoe Brand X makes. I have a pair from Cleverly and they just don't look right.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was wondering what your opinion is on these shoes: http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatPr...._Id=202 Â I know Alden makes them for Brooks Brothers. Â But more importantly, what do you think of these shoes for a guy in his 20s? Do you think it's appropriate or do you think tassel loafers are for much older men? Thanks.
Ridiculious, even for an old guy.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wore these as a 20-29 year old accountant.

And I survived.

Buy them, they are classic shoes. Classic = longevity.
I confirm, you can be ridiculious for a long time without dieing.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sure... these are great for a guy in his 20's who wants to look like an old fart. Pair these shoes with a pair of double pleated, cuffed Dockers, and it's par for the course.
No.

If anything they will have opposite effect.  & to They will emphasize at once a drawing away from the youthfulness of the wearer, and the (horribly inaccurate) perception that these shoos are tainted with the "old fart" quality.

Must be in Cordo though. And must be Brooks Alden. It's the only acceptable tassle. (Though I must admit a sneaking preference for the tassle loafer in LL Bean circa 1985).

stache

Reaction score
No one is going to call those shoes a babe magnet. If you want a tassle loafer at your age I would say look for something less structured.

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Must be in Cordo though.  And must be Brooks Alden.  It's the only acceptable tassle.  (Though I must admit a sneaking preference for the tassle loafer in LL Bean circa 1985).
Historically, in the '60s, I really recall seeing only black or brown calf leather tassel loafers from Brooks in general use and not the cordovan tassels (unlike the cordovan pennies or steel eyeleted bluchers,). Never saw the brown suede either (didn't think they were being made just yet).

Phil

Reaction score
Mano-

Im not doing an impression of anyone. The forum was started by someone asking an opinion about tassel shoes. I offered my opinion, other people have offered theirs. Like I had said, its one of those topics that never gets resolved. In a way, I like tassel loafers, since whenever I am standing next to a man wearing them, I invariably look more well dressed in comparison.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads