• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BROOKS TASSEL LOAFERS FOR A GUY IN HIS 20s?

Walter

Reaction score
In French, Tassel loafers is "mocassins à gland"
Which translates literally to "loafers with nipples" .
Enough said.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've seen worse -- the two-tone, low-vamp, fringe-thingy-on-top tassel loafers immediately come to mind -- but I would not recommend that pair for a guy in his 20s.  Get a pair of monkstraps instead.

Phil

Reaction score
The fact that so many lawyers wear them is not a ringing endorsement. Of all the "suit wearing" professional fields, lawyers are probably, as a whole, the most poorly dressed.

Plenty of things are timeless, it doesnt mean they look good. The vast majority of men are bad dressers. We all know this. The vast majority of men own tassel loafers. Its not a coincedence.

cuffthis

Reaction score
I wore these as a 20-29 year old accountant.

And I survived.

Buy them, they are classic shoes. Classic = longevity.

Phil

Reaction score
the argument for/against tassel loafers is the sartorial equivalent of roe v wade. The opposing camps are firmly dug in, and each side will give no quarter. People who like them are convinced they look nice. People who hate them think they are the ugliest things of all time. People who like them say they are "classic". People who hate them think pro-tassel people are insane to think that just because they have been around for a long time it makes them "classic".

Its one of those issues that opposing sides have to agree to disagree.

Phil

Reaction score
Cuffthis - If I may ask, why did you only wear them from 20-29?

Actually, I suppose you were referring to the fact that the original poster was asking about tassels in his 20s.

Walter

Reaction score
Cuffthis - If I may ask, why did you only wear them from 20-29?

Actually, I suppose you were referring to the fact that the original poster was asking about tassels in his 20s.
He probably discovered good taste at age 30.

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I fall into the camp of disliking the tassel loafer. I do like regular loafers such as the Grenson Radleys, the Alden Cordo full strap loafer, and the Cleverly loafer.

My least favorite look is the American look: sack suit, button down shirt, striped tie, and tassel loafers. Nothing worse.

Walter

Reaction score
I fall into the camp of disliking the tassel loafer.  I do like regular loafers such as the Grenson Radleys, the Alden Cordo full strap loafer, and the Cleverly loafer.  

My least favorite look is the American look: sack suit, button down shirt, striped tie, and tassel loafers.  Nothing worse.
Yes you have the guy with a golf shirt, shorts and low-vamp tassel loafers in a bar on a saturday night.
Then he gets home and wonders why he never gets laid.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I'm going to agree with Kabert and Cuffthis - I see no reason why you shouldn't buy these shoes if they fit your style.

I had a very similar pair (from Florsheim) that I bought just after graduating college in 1989 and wore for nearly 10-years (resoled at least twice). I think I paid $150 for them, which at the time was the most I had ever paid for a pair of shoes.

Of course, I was working on political campaigns, in public relations and as a stockbroker, so the conservative styling of the shoes was an asset.

If you like them, buy them.

Bradford

cuffthis

Reaction score
(Phil @ Mar. 04 2005,06:51) Cuffthis - If I may ask, why did you only wear them from 20-29? Actually, I suppose you were referring to the fact that the original poster was asking about tassels in his 20s.
He probably discovered good taste at age 30.
The original poster asked if it was appropriate for a person in their 20's to wear this type of shoes. I responded by saying I wore them when I was in my 20's. And I still wear them today, at age 40.

watchingdetails2002

Reaction score
I would agree with Cuffthis. I too started to wear tassel loafers when I was in my 20's. We all have a variety of opinions on what is right and what is wrong. But doesn't it boil down to what each one of us like. The guy who started the post was seeking opinions. But he just needs to do what he feels is best for himself. I continue to wear tassel shoes today but have a variety of different shoes in my closet.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I think they would be hilarious on a guy in his 20s. Whether I would be laughing with you or at you would be the determining factor.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I concur with the "you are all nuts" sentiment.

The shoes are great, on a gentleman of any age.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sure... these are great for a guy in his 20's who wants to look like an old fart. Pair these shoes with a pair of double pleated, cuffed Dockers, and it's par for the course.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads