BROOKS TASSEL LOAFERS FOR A GUY IN HIS 20s?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by NMW1982, Mar 3, 2005.

1. NMW1982

NMW1982 Senior member

Hey guys, I was wondering what your opinion is on these shoes: http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatPr...._Id=202 I know Alden makes them for Brooks Brothers. But more importantly, what do you think of these shoes for a guy in his 20s? Do you think it's appropriate or do you think tassel loafers are for much older men? Thanks.

2. Alias

Alias Senior member

I vote that post titles in all caps be grounds for deletion. I'm split on those loafers. On one hand, I like the shape, and I can easily see a young guy wear them. On the other hand, they have tassels.

3. Nick M

Nick M Senior member

Hey, I'm a guy in his 20s.

If they had a longer vamp and no tassels, I'd wear them.

But they have neither of those things.

So no.

4. StevenRocks

StevenRocks Senior member

Don't get me wrong, those shoes are quite elegant, but maybe just a little old for someone your age. You'll have your whole post-30 life to wear tassels.

5. mrprlover

mrprlover Senior member

Those remind me of something my gramps would wear. Him and highly paid executives, and you are neither.

Stick with Tods or anything minus the tassle.

6. Phil

Phil Senior member

I will never, even if I live to 100, understand tassel loafers. The low vamp. The tassel. It just escapes me. They arent flattering. They arent attractive. I live in CT, the land of the tassel, and my wife's family is waspy cubed to the tenth power, and I have to endure them every family get together. Maybe I would get them if they actually looked good on someone. I hate them. I know its silly to hate a shoe. But I really do, I hate them with a passion.

7. Buster

Buster Senior member

We love you, Phil.

8. ATM

ATM Senior member

I had a pair in high school but I grew up in a very waspy neighborhood.

9. tdial

tdial Senior member

This post made me laugh out loud. I also hate tassel loafers. I respect one's right to wear them, but that shoe gives me indigestion.

10. jholand

jholand Active Member

I also hate tassel loafers. Dreadful shoes. For what it's worth, I have asked many women about their opinion and the response is always a big thumbs down.

11. kabert

kabert Senior member

You guys are out of your collective minds. I first bought a pair of these (calfskin though, not cordovan) when I was a senior in college and had serious real job interviews to go to. I also bought my first real suit at Brooks. Both were great purchases. They made me look more mature than my beer-drinking years, and it wasn't at all lost on me that at least half of the lawyers in the law firms I was interviewing at (for a legal assistant position) were wearing similar or identical shoes. These shoes helped them think, hey, this guy's one of us -- he'll fit in. I wore those shoes for 10 or more years, getting them resoled multiple times. I loved them; but finally, after law school, I donated them to the thrift shop, as the leather was cracking pretty badly.

These are NOT shoes to party in, of course. Not shoes to go "clubbing" in, although I did plenty of dancing and drinking in mine at happy hours, weddings, etc. They are shoes that are serious and businesslike and relatively conservative, yet not as serious and conservative as lace-ups. Get them, you won't regret it.

12. crs

crs Member

Tassels make me think of the bells on a court jester's footwear.

13. NMW1982

NMW1982 Senior member

It seems like a lot of lawyers, businessmen and doctors wear these shoes. But less of the lesser "white-collar" professionals wear them. Maybe the fit of these shoes is about what profession you're in, more than what age you are.

14. Horace

Horace Senior member

I think they're hip, actually. I know many will scoff at that adjective, but there you go. They are also timeless. Why not. Every since the Prinsquen thread, I've begun wearing tassled Brooks loafers with my suits. Thank you very much.

15. Horace

Horace Senior member

Ha.

You'd think that some of their sense would've rubbed off on you.

Horace