Brooks socks...quality/experience/models?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by seok, May 1, 2005.

1. seok

seok Senior member

Thinking of using the 25% off code (FRIEND9) to stock some socks off www.brooksbrothers.com. 25% off for buying 4 pairs and another 25% off w/the code. I'm looking at wool/wool blends and wondered if anyone had experience with their socks and recommended anything in particular. Am I really better off going to a Neiman outlet and picking up Pantherella socks at $13 each?

2. Horace

Horace Senior member

I was in Brooks today and was surpised by the good quality. I wouldn't have bought socks from them in the past 15 years if I hadn't seen the ones I saw today. Made in England. Not bad. Contrasting color at very top of sock -- looks like the same as those made for J. Press.

3. kabert

kabert Senior member

I haven't bought socks from Brooks for years based on bad experiences with them in the past -- the elastic fails very quickly on over-the-calf socks. I'm glad to hear that perhaps the quality has improved; maybe I'll give them another try.

4. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

One thing I've learned the hard way -- merino wool socks can create some mean static, which is not good if you want your pants to hang properly. The best merino wool socks don't create this static; the worst ones create a bunch of it. My experience has been that Pantherella socks never create this static. And I've never experienced with Brooks Bros. socks either.

5. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

I use Brooks for black socks-- the mustard stripe at the top helps keep them separate from navy blue socks that I use more often.

Quality pretty good. I sometimes find after playing concerts (which is when I most often wear black) that my feet feel a little clammy. Not sure if that is the synthetic portion of the sock, or a by-product of the patent leather shoes.

Anyway, I'd say worth a try if on sale.

I just got some sized Pantherellas from Alex Kabbaz, and while I haven't worn them long enough to comment on durability, they seem pretty good. Lighter weight than the Brooks wool blend.