1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Brooks Looks:

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by MrDaniels, Mar 18, 2013.

1. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

I was on the Brooks Bros site and looking at the suits. I am a big fan of everything they do, but I was surprised at some of the style choices they made on their models:

First up, a button-down collar with a very formal three-piece suit:

[​IMG]

Second, a Windsor knot with a button down collar...not to mention with a pinstripe suit, which I find too formal for a button-down as well:

[​IMG]

And last, does anyone buy this bowtie with a business suit:

[​IMG]

2. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

And does anyone else think the jacket on the three-piece is cut a bit short?

3. dexconstruct

dexconstruct Senior member

It would be surprising if Brooks Brothers stopped using OCBDs in even the most formal of business suits, considering that has been one of their signature pieces for more than a century. Should they change now?

4. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

But with a Windsor knot?

5. dexconstruct

dexconstruct Senior member

Yeah I don't know whose idea that was. I'm more offended by all the belts and ties peeking out the bottom of their jackets.

6. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

If you look on the site there are also some questionable fits on the shirt collars as well. Don't they hire people who know what they are doing to style these shoots?

7. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

...different strokes for different folks. IMO, most of the website pictures for companies like BB, TMW and JAB are unenviable. Those 3 are no different. They're not terrible, but they don't make me want to see/read more.

8. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

Not as badly styled as some of the stuff I have seen in Details, Esquire and GQ.....

Actually, for a real laugh look at some of the fits on the Men's Wearhouse site...

9. Troilus

Troilus Senior member

The other thing I've noticed over the years is that they've been using increasingly younger models, even for suiting. About five years ago, there was a significantly plurality of over-40 models for their suiting. Even if you assume I'm the target audience (late 20s, professional), this doesn't make sense. I buy BB to look like the silverback in the meeting room, not the scion making his annual trip to the boardroom in between yacht tours.

10. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

Trying to appeal to older men who want to look younger, perhaps. Furthermore, it's possible that older executives rarely buy new suits or go high-end or bespoke when they do. Also, maybe it's cheaper to use younger models.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  11. redboat

redboat Senior member

I think BB is attempting to project a more youthful and carefree image with the short coats, bow ties, and button downs. They want to pull in the next generation before their current customers go into that good night...

12. redboat

redboat Senior member

Looks like the model got a tan and has been in the gym for this third photo...

13. FillW

FillW Senior member

Yeah, I looked at the BB site and all the models had jackets that were mostly way too short.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  14. kasakka

kasakka Senior member

The jackets have to be a bit short to be balanced with the rather high buttoning point. Besides, they're not THAT short. In any case, blame shitty trends.

15. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

16. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

^ Meant to add that I agree.