• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brooks fans-- what does a Golden Fleece suit run? best option for interview suit?

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the hunt for a nice interview suit in.....navy blue (is this still my best option, for a well-paying midlevel management position or government intelligence position?) and I'm thinking about picking up something reasonably priced, but with nice handwork like i'm fond of.

So far, on my short list is Canali (altho buttonholes are machine made
mad.gif
) and Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece. What do you think a medium weight suit (with flat front trousers and double vents) might run from them?

thanks-- and comments, opinions on my color options welcome!

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The_Foxx
On the hunt for a nice interview suit in.....navy blue (is this still my best option, for a well-paying midlevel management position or government intelligence position?) and I'm thinking about picking up something reasonably priced, but with nice handwork like i'm fond of.

So far, on my short list is Canali (altho buttonholes are machine made
mad.gif
) and Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece. What do you think a medium weight suit (with flat front trousers and double vents) might run from them?

thanks-- and comments, opinions on my color options welcome!

Foxx...Brooks is currently running a MTM special event where when you purchase anything over $700, you get $400 off another one.

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have one that I bought for $375 at a very good sale, regalarly $1298.
They can normally be had at about $498-698. (I got mine at a season closeout)

Absolute yes to the Navy suit for a gov't job. Most of the BB I've seen recently are pleated and single-vented, though.

I would think that a real tight-assed govt intel interviewer would rather see a single vent, to the extent he/she would notice. They're not really looking for individual expression in intel.

johnnynorman

Reaction score
Foxx,

One problem is that the Brooks Bros. stores in Arizona, so far as I know, do not carry Golden Fleece models. If you go MTM, it would probably run $1300 - $1500. To get flat front pants and double vents, you'd have to go MTM by the way -- I've never seen a Golden Fleece with ff pants, and double vents are rare for GFs as well.

The Italian line Golden Fleece do have double vents pretty much exclusively and are very nice. They sell them in NYC. The buttonholes are done by machine, however (except for the old Isaia made ones that Zjp3 got a couple years back).

johnnynorman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
Foxx...Brooks is currently running a MTM special event where when you purchase anything over $700, you get $400 off another one.

I don't think that deal applies to MTM.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I once bought a Golden Fleece for $375, but it was a double-breasted, gray chalkstripe number. I think a classic single-breasted navy suit would be a longshot at that price. Your best bet might be to try to find a Canali at Off Fifth, Filene's Basement, etc.

I bought the exact suit you are describing (with pleated pants) by Brioni for $590 at Century 21. I just enjoy bringing that up.
smile.gif

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnnynorman
I don't think that deal applies to MTM.

My bad Johnny, I thoguht it was a MTM event but it's actually advertised as a tailored clothing event.
frown.gif

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
unfortunately, that navy suit didn't work out for me-- had to return it. I might end up going the Canali route, but i figured either way I'd pay about $1400....so, which is the better option? call brooks in NYC to special order the golden fleece, or canali?

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
unfortunately, that navy suit didn't work out for me-- had to return it. I might end up going the Canali route, but i figured either way I'd pay about $1400....so, which is the better option? call brooks in NYC to special order the golden fleece, or canali?

Foxx..Paul Stuart could be a good option too. Their spring catalog featured many 3B suits with SVs and FF trousers. I'd give them a call.

ranchsooner

Reaction score

I thought you had bought 2 Navy suits: The Brioni from Sartorial and a Liverano from someone else. I had my eye on both of those in different sizes, is there an issue I should know about?

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
no, no issues-- the heavy weight navy brioni just wasn't right for me; the cloth wasn't what i had expected based on the photos, etc.

the liverano suit is FAN-TASTIC, and can definitely hold its own next to a Brioni or other very high-end suit. it's a nice black with blue nailhead, VERY sharp/ cool, but i don't think it is the conservative interview suit i'd like to own.

billiebob

Reaction score
A few months ago there were two solid navy golden fleece suits on the "sale" floor at 346 madison selling for 700 each in size 42R and 43R (popular sizes). Since it was a 25% off day, they were really selling for 525 or so. They were around 1 year old according to the born on date in the pocket. This is the lowest I've seen "normal" worsted suits. Golden Fleece light gray flannel with yellow pinstripe and the like is far, far more common on the sale floor than solid navy.

At regular retail, the navy GF suits were around 1700, depending on fabric. MAybe there was 1 or 2 around 1500. They aren't 1298 anymore.

maxnharry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you would have to wait for the summer sale to get that kind of price. I'm not sure how time critical things, but if you are looking for a simple suit to show them you're a down to earth guy during the interview and then bring out the heavy artillery, you might want to check out Jos A Banks. If you want a classic american cut their signatures are pretty decent and they also have their new double vented line. I know a couple of guys in the government who wear them and are satisfied. They don't compare with brooks but would make a decent mid -level interview suit if you cant work out the Brooks.

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
My bad Johnny, I thoguht it was a MTM event but it's actually advertised as a tailored clothing event.
frown.gif

i was at brooks on thursday and they told me that i would get $300 off the second mtm suit...was still a fairly substantial amount of money for me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads