• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brooks Brothers

trajan

Reaction score
I just wanted to say: I love this store. It does have an old feel and they do have things that my grandfather would wear, but style and good taste are timeless and so is Brooks Brothers.

--trajan

Reaction score
Very good point. Brooks Brothers suits are very good. Very nice formal wear.

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I confess. I am a Brooks Brothers junkie. Last Friday, while perusing the merchandise during their Friends and Family sale, a store employee approached me to offer assistance. But, he stopped and said, "Oh you know the stock better than we do."

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think I want this camel hair duffel coat:

555N_enlarged.jpg

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I listed this store as one I want to like more than I do, given their heritage and great looking gear from their golden years (50s & 60s). Personally I find their last few years' merchandise uninspired and dull.

I'm looking forward to their collaboration with Thom Browne next fall to put them back on my 'buy from' list.

GreyFlannelMan

Reaction score
I like some of their shoes, but they have mostly otherwise lost me with all of the non-iron shirts. They used to be my go-to for suits until I discovered that I look better in more fitted suits. They are still ok for some casual items so long as they lack the Golden Fleece logo.

I too am very curious to see what the Thom Browne collaboration brings....

william

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It took me a while to find the love for Brooks Brothers. I too hate their shirts. On the other hand, I just dropped $350 on two BB cardigans last Friday...I think that now classifies me as a BB convert. I particularly like their coats, trousers, sweaters and scarves. There are several pairs of odd trousers that I'm intersted in as well as two more sweaters. FEED THE SICKNESS!! FEED IT!!
devil.gif

kennethpollock

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GreyFlannelMan
I like some of their shoes, but they have mostly otherwise lost me with all of the non-iron shirts. They used to be my go-to for suits until I discovered that I look better in more fitted suits. They are still ok for some casual items so long as they lack the Golden Fleece logo.

I too am very curious to see what the Thom Browne collaboration brings....

I agree about the shirts. High class stores do not sell no-iron shirts.
Their only decent suits are the Martin Greenfield Golden Fleece. I do not like the Italian-made Golden Fleece stuff. Sorry guys, I think the Southwick made fused suits are crap, as are all fused suits.
I do not like the way they keep lowering the quality of the "Peal" named shoes; from EG to C&J to Alfred Sargent. What is next, Bexley?

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kennethpollock
Sorry guys, I think the Southwick made fused suits are crap, as are all fused suits.

A man after my own heart.
bigstar[1].gif

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What on earth makes anyone think BB is so 'high end' that they wouldn't offer non-iron shirts? I don't care what the stigma attached to them is, BB's non-iron casual dress shirts are great IMO. They are perfect for the business casual environment. I only like perhaps 1 out of 10 designs patterns they use, but that is a matter of taste.

BB is a great store b/c:

1) They have a decent % of items that are well made and use good fabrics
2) Even at retail, the prices on most things are reasonable
3) They stock a ton of items/sizes at their stores
4) During F&F sales they are a no brainer.

I wouldn't expect them to get a lot of praise from the board, but I like them a lot. They are a good 'gap' between low end **** and high end, high prices luxewear.

argoth

Reaction score
I think I may have a perception problem because the only time I ever go in Brooks Brothers is after shopping at Paul Stuart. I'm not old enough to remember the heyday of BB. So, I'm not sure what all the fuss is about.

On the other hand, my girlfriend loves BB's womens clothing. And I love her look in it.
smile.gif

Arg

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's the thing about Brooks, in my opinion: you can go into any BB store and come out looking like a professional, whether for a business dress or business casual environment. The clothing is conservative and, for the most part, well made. It may not be the best money can buy, and it may be overpriced (along with everything else in the retail world), but I've never had a BB item fall apart on me, and they have frequent sales. The cuts may not be to everyone's liking, but that's a personal choice. Finally, the return policy is excellent.

Whenever anyone posts one of those, "I'm just starting out as a lawyer, investment banker, etc." emails, I always advise them to go to Brooks. It's not cutting edge fashion but, frankly, it's hard to go wrong there.

StockwellDay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
I think I want this camel hair duffel coat:

555N_enlarged.jpg

I bought this coat this fall. I LOVE it. However the one I bought might be slightly shorter, i can't tell from the picture and also can't remember since I haven't yet worn it this year.

trajan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by argoth
I think I may have a perception problem because the only time I ever go in Brooks Brothers is after shopping at Paul Stuart. I'm not old enough to remember the heyday of BB. So, I'm not sure what all the fuss is about.

On the other hand, my girlfriend loves BB's womens clothing. And I love her look in it.
smile.gif

Arg

Yeah, Paul Stuart is in a different class. Do you shop at the stores on Madison and 44th?

--trajan

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads