• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brooks Brothers

Timeless Fashion

Reaction score
With the Fitz being a slimmer cut than the Regent, I don't like the center vent. They should have given it a side vent like the Regent.

Timeless Fashion

Reaction score
Originally Posted by soupcxan
As I recall you weren't too fond of my Fitzgerald 38R that I posted a few weeks back. But you were right about the pants being too long - somehow they managed to leave one pair 0.5" longer than the other, despite being fitted the same day by the same tailor. That has since been corrected.

My Fitzgerald measures 17" straight across the shoulders and 2x19.5" across the chest. I wouldn't exactly call the shoulders soft - there is some padding.

I haven't measured, but the last 38R Regent I tried on felt at least 0.75" wider in the shoulders, and 1" wider in the chest. They say it is "slim" but they seem to have only slimmed the pants (which are a 7 drop instead of a 6), not the jacket. Neither Regent nor Madison nor GF fits me half as well as the Fitz.

At 50% off the 1818's will run you $450-$550 depending on the fabric, which includes basic alterations at no cost. I think that is a good deal. Unless you are buying a basic color, I would try to get one with Saxxon or Loro Piana fabric. Also, beware of the website photos - I don't think they accurately represent what the fabric looks like in person.

soupcxan, do you know what the BOC length is on the Fitz? The price is certainly tempting at that price range.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
Why do you despise their customer service? I've had generally positive experiences there, with helpful sales clerks. Also, I don't think BB gets enough credit for a lot of what they do in terms of price/design/selection.

I can't think of a store where I've had consistently better service.

stant62

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mossrockss
As others have said, what's so bad about their customer service? It's actually some of the best out there, according to many.

I agree. I don't think I've ever had a bad customer service experience at Brooks Brothers. Ralph Lauren on the other hand was a mixed bag; the younger associates were more than eager to help me out, but I still can't forget that snotty salesman on the second floor at the Newbury Street location, what a douche!

LesterSnodgrass

Reaction score
SG:

I agree, BB customer service is garbage.

I wear a 38S in the 1818 Regent and a 40S in the Fitz. After having the waist nipped on both, I like them both but prefer the Regent. Both for the side vents and for the lapel width. I am not impressed with skinny lapels. Bill Maher called, he wants his stoopid lapels and skinny ties back.

In any event, the 40S came with 34 inch waist trousers, which were able to be altered to my 31" waist. This may be an additional concern, especially if you are indeed as skinny as your name implies.

Ciao

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mossrockss
As others have said, what's so bad about their customer service? It's actually some of the best out there, according to many.
BB has bent over backwards to provide me with excellent service. Although I had issues with them several years ago, my recent experiences have been nothing but stellar, consistently. Well, in all fairness, I did have an issue with an SA at the NYC Madison store, but the Chicago store took care of the problem graciously and with an apology for the service in NYC.

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
As much as I despise BB customer service, I'm in need a solid color suit and their sale is tempting me.

My question, does anyone know the shoulder/chest measurements on their suits:

Golden Fleece, Regents and Fitz. 38reg.

black fleece suits are often findable in the smaller sizes at the outlets for $500ish. You'd like these plenty. Go outlet shopping young boy.

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
Why do you despise their customer service? I've had generally positive experiences there, with helpful sales clerks. Also, I don't think BB gets enough credit for a lot of what they do in terms of price/design/selection.

Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I can't think of a store where I've had consistently better service.

Originally Posted by JayJay
BB has bent over backwards to provide me with excellent service. Although I had issues with them several years ago, my recent experiences have been nothing but stellar, consistently. Well, in all fairness, I did have an issue with an SA at the NYC Madison store, but the Chicago store took care of the problem graciously and with an apology for the service in NYC.

I have to agree with these gentlemen. The BB store in downtown CLE is one of my fav places to shop. There's an SA at the store, John Doyle, who is superb and I would recommend anyone in the area to use his services.

soupcxan

Reaction score
The regent sounds like it would fit me well, but really 17" shoulders on the fitz? I appreciate you taking the time to measure them, but this seems awfully tight for a 38R

The two nearest BB's are about 1 hour from me, so I appreciate the trouble, I wanted to see if i was in the ballpark with these measurements before i drive out there.

I am not an expert measurer, but the way I measure (straight across the back from seam to seam) is 17". You could call the store, I believe they have a book with the "official" measurements in it. Or you could size up to the 39R which they also offer. In fact, I'd call them to make sure they have a 38R in the fabric you want, as most of the stores I've been have only one 38R Fitz in stock at any point in time.

Most 38R's that I've seen are closer to 18" across the shoulders which is why I like the Fitz; I have narrow shoulders and hate it when the shoulderpads hang over.

Originally Posted by Timeless Fashion
soupcxan, do you know what the BOC length is on the Fitz? The price is certainly tempting at that price range.

I measure length of 30.5" from bottom of collar.

stumy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Timeless Fashion
With the Fitz being a slimmer cut than the Regent, I don't like the center vent. They should have given it a side vent like the Regent.

I used to think the fitz was slimmer than the Regent as well, but I was proven wrong upon a recent trip to the Madison ave store. The SA explained that it was a common misconception. Sure enough, the regent had higher arm holes, and slimmer trousers (with a drop 7 waist vs. drop 6 waste on the fitz). Though I do not believe the regent jacket has any more waste suppression.

Timeless Fashion

Reaction score
Originally Posted by stumy
I used to think the fitz was slimmer than the Regent as well, but I was proven wrong upon a recent trip to the Madison ave store. The SA explained that it was a common misconception. Sure enough, the regent had higher arm holes, and slimmer trousers (with a drop 7 waist vs. drop 6 waste on the fitz). Though I do not believe the regent jacket has any more waste suppression.

I have yet to try a Fitz in my size, but when I tried the Regent on in my typical size, it was fairly baggy and I did not think it had a higher armhole at all. In fact, the SA told me that the BB Regent cut doesn't fit me well and I would be better off with a European cut suit.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I went out to the Bridgewater BB today, was met by an excellent sales person in the suit department I recommend him (Gerard Starks).

I tried out alot of different suits, there were no solid regents. The GF fit me in a 36 (no surprise there). I must have been mistaken thinking the 38 fit me in GF.

I was really liking the GF, good stuff. The regent impressed me, half Canvass, pick stitching. But they seemed to have mostly patterns.

BrooklynWeGoHard

Reaction score
I went out to the Bridgewater BB today, was met by an excellent sales person in the suit department I recommend him (Gerard Starks).

I tried out alot of different suits, there were no solid regents. The GF fit me in a 36 (no surprise there). I must have been mistaken thinking the 38 fit me in GF.

I was really liking the GF, good stuff. The regent impressed me, half Canvass, pick stitching. But they seemed to have mostly patterns.

go to teh outlets my son

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
didnt have time for it today, Do they have an outlet at woodbury and is it worth looking at?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads