• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brooks Brothers - What to buy? What to avoid?

sygyzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will be visiting the Brooks Brothers outlet on Sunday. I have seen them mentioned here and there. I don't plan on purchasing a suit but I do need dress shirts and maybe some dress pants. Are there any particular lines or styles I should try to purchase. Similarly, anything I should stay away from? I'd like some shirts with french cuffs since I don't have any yet. Ties might be on the radar as well as one or two pairs of slacks. Anyway, I don't want to make a mistake and buy a shirt because it was a great deal them come back to find out I should have left it on the rack because it's poor quality, or something.

Any help, tips, and tricks, would be greatly appreciated.

Aureus

Reaction score
Outlets mainly sell the 346 line. Personally I've got a few of their 346 shirts from the outlet at a 3/$100 sort of deal. Whatever the hand-made quality issue etc.. they're slim-fits and are slim enough that I like them. They've held up well over a year of heavy formal and casual wear. I rather like them. They're also machine washable (big faux pas here).

Patrick06790

Reaction score
Most of the shirts are non-iron, which many people find unacceptable. Also the 346 line shirts have averaged sleeves, which works out well for me since I am an in-between size.

I have quite a few of the non-iron point collar blue and white shirts. They are a standard go-to item for me. I do not find they have a problem with breathability, and I get hot easily.

I would avoid the non-iron buttondowns. Those collars will never roll properly.

Check any patterned non-iron shirts carefully for a sort of plasticky feel to them. If it's present don't buy. It won't go away with washing.

On the other hand I've found some non-iron patterned and striped shirts at BB outlets that were indistinguishable from a standard fabric.

The ties are usually the 346 line - nice enough, but nowhere near as substantial as the regular ones. Look carefully, though - "Makers" ties do sneak in from time to time.

Slacks are nothing to write home about - good enough if there's a deal. I do have a couple of their "brushed twill" trousers that have worked out well.

In short, a crap shoot, but worth investigating if you happen to be nearby.

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Patrick06790
I would avoid the non-iron buttondowns. Those collars will never roll properly.

? I have several of these shirts, no problems with the collar.

cpac

Reaction score
At a BB outlet I would generally avoid anything from the 346 line, which is sub-par in quality. If you happen to find anything from the Golden Fleece line, you may have found a fantastic deal.

billiebob

Reaction score
Regular BB outlets are fun for sport shopping. Occasionally you can score a Makers tie or an 1818 suit for very little. For wardrobe staples the 346 line is definitely a cut below the retail stores.

The BB 25% off sales (which happen around 6 times a year) are the time to go to the retail stores.

If you are buying a lot of stuff, it may make sense to open up the credit account during a 25% off sale. They bumped all my purchases to 33% off for that day.

I've been buying the luxury shirts on ebay for $20-35, which retail for 118 this Fall. They usually have very minor flaws. The USA luxury shirts have nice fabric and a much better fit than either the regular or slim fits. The buttons are plastic, pretty much my only complaint. If you're on a budget and like Brooks stuff, ebay is great, because of the buyers who sell all the North Carolina outlet stuff. The Golden Fleece italian shirts are very expensive, but really nice when you can find them (in odd sizes) on ebay for 30 bucks!

StockwellDay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by billiebob
The Golden Fleece italian shirts are very expensive, but really nice when you can find them (in odd sizes) on ebay for 30 bucks!

Please advise on the "fit" for the Golden Fleece. Is it like a slim fit? Thanks!

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by billiebob
Regular BB outlets are fun for sport shopping. Occasionally you can score a Makers tie or an 1818 suit for very little. For wardrobe staples the 346 line is definitely a cut below the retail stores.

The BB 25% off sales (which happen around 6 times a year) are the time to go to the retail stores.

If you are buying a lot of stuff, it may make sense to open up the credit account during a 25% off sale. They bumped all my purchases to 33% off for that day.

I've been buying the luxury shirts on ebay for $20-35, which retail for 118 this Fall. They usually have very minor flaws. The USA luxury shirts have nice fabric and a much better fit than either the regular or slim fits. The buttons are plastic, pretty much my only complaint. If you're on a budget and like Brooks stuff, ebay is great, because of the buyers who sell all the North Carolina outlet stuff. The Golden Fleece italian shirts are very expensive, but really nice when you can find them (in odd sizes) on ebay for 30 bucks!

Are you saying that the luxury shirts fit you better than the regular or slim fits because you fall in between those two? Or something else?

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found this today for 4 bucks. It'll be $2 US on Saturday. No apparent damage.

IMG_20110328_120255.jpg

Absolutely too long in the sleeve for me and too much room in the neck.

IMG_20110328_120151.jpg

Do I buy it anyway and wash the car in it?

rathebaindc

Reaction score
Funny, I am wearing a 346 non-iron shirt right now, and I like it better than mainline non-irons. It's made from a thinner cotton, which makes it more breathable, and it doesn't have an awful box pleat in the back, rather the back is unpleated, which is a big deal for me. I have absolutely no quality issues with 346 line dress shirts. 346 suits, belts, shoes, etc, I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole.

I also find tons of mainline dress shirts and ties in the outlet stores every visit. Perhaps it depends on which outlets you frequent . I've see racks of Golden Fleece shirts and from time to time, Black fleece garments at outlets.

tcnjbanker123

Reaction score
Check out the ties, you can usually find ones which say "Makers" (not made for outlet), though I was in an outlet about a year ago wearing a Retail store tie and I held, felt, and examined the 346 version and honestly couldn't tell the difference.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the BB outlets. Quality not as good as the mainstream stuff, but even $200 can go far in there. I was not impressed by the quality of the suits, but bought a Long Coat 100% wool for $199 - it was a steal and as good as anything out there in the MSRP price range of under $800.

enolasfinest

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cpac
At a BB outlet I would generally avoid anything from the 346 line, which is sub-par in quality. If you happen to find anything from the Golden Fleece line, you may have found a fantastic deal.

I second that. Stay away from anything that says "346"

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads