• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

johnbond8459

Reaction score
Long time lurker, first time poster.

I've been a long time buyer of Brooks Brothers (non-iron shirts & suits) and have read good reviews of Suit Supply on these forums. Can anyone comment on the quality and cuts of the lines of Suit Supply (Purple and Suit Up) vs.Brooks Brothers (Suiting Essentials and 1818 Fitz). Are the Suit Supply wools superior to BB, or similar to the Saxxon wool?

I currently have a few suiting essentials suits that I'm looking to replace. I also have several 1818 suits in the Fitzgerald cut in regular and Saxxon wool. I enjoy my fitzgeralds, especially the Saxxon. However, I'm looking for a more modern cut thus Suit Supply. I also enjoy the price point of Suit Supply, since my suits go through a bit of rough and tumble during often train/airplane rides.

Thanks for the feedback in advance.

zerohedge

Reaction score
I'm interested to hear some responses, I've been wondering the same

johnbond8459

Reaction score
Bump... 80 views and no replies. It seems a lot of people are interested in the differentiation between the two. Can anyone speak to the quality of BB in relation to the quality of their wool (Saxxon, regular 1818, suiting essentials) in terms of Super rating (I realize the ratings are flawed, but it's still helpful).

Also a comparison of the Suit Supply fits against BB would be very helpful to everyone.

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have only owned 1 BB suit and it was purchased circa early 2002 and discarded within 3 years. I own 1 Suit Supply suit purchased last fall and just bought 2 more. So I cannot give you a straight up comparison. However, I will say generally that it appears all SS cuts are more modern. I'm 6' 155lbs and the SS 38R fits me well with no tweaks and the 40R would be passable with some tailoring. The most modern cut that BB carries in my city is the Fitzgerald and the 38R in that model would still need some significant changes at the waist. i wish I could compare to a Milano cut but have not tried it.

As far as materials go, the SS suit I've owned for about 6 months was from the $469 line and is a very soft fabric. It drapes well and so far hasn't gotten shiny with wear and laundering (twice).

I would suggest this - any SS order over $200 currently has free shipping and free returns. Order something from SS and then take it to BB and stand there feeling, touching, groping, wearing, jumping, cartwheeling, etc then report back. If you don't want to keep it, you are out no money.

Last edited:

unclesam099

Reaction score
I went into the SuitSupply store in London and immediately walked out when I found out that everything was made in China.

I own a few 1818 Fitz and Milano suits. The SuitSupply garments were cheaply made and, in my opinion, not up to par with my BB 1818 suits. The SS finishing was not nearly as good as BB, and I found that the lapels on the SS garments were not smooth, they tended to have a wavy-ness to them. Finally, the functional cuffs severely limit you if you do not fit the sleeves properly.

While the SS stuff comes with a slim fit, don't forget that you can always get it tailored. Assume that nothing fits you OTR and always build tailoring/finishing into the final cost.

Look into the Milano suits for a more fashion-forward cut. The shoulders are a little wider than the Fitz, and come with side vents. They have a lot of waist suppression, slim sleeves/high armholes, and slimmer, lower rise trousers. I slimmed the trouser legs ~1/2" further, as well.

Personally, I'd avoid SS and keep my money in US (or Italian) made suits of higher quality.

Last edited:

gumercindo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I went into the SuitSupply store in London and immediately walked out when I found out that everything was made in China.

Two things - where does BB make their 1818 suits? And, if you're not wanting to buy a China-made product for political reasons, that's one reason. But if you're doing it b/c of the quality factor, then that's short sighted. a LOT of quality material/finished products come from China.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe they are made in Italy by the unfortunately named Lardini

That's what I've heard for the made in Italy 1818 suits. The made in the U.S. 1818's are Southwick.

NewYorkBuck

Reaction score

Two things - where does BB make their 1818 suits? And, if you're not wanting to buy a China-made product for political reasons, that's one reason. But if you're doing it b/c of the quality factor, then that's short sighted. a LOT of quality material/finished products come from China.

Yes, it seems that there is more good stuff coming out of there than ever before. There is also still a large proportion of garbage. For the most part, most of us know more about suits than the average Joe (fused, canvass, etc.) but you really wont know the quality of a garment until you've worn it, dry cleaned it, and put a few miles on it. I play the percentages, and as it stands right now I wont buy a suit that says made in China. That may change in the future, but thats how it stands right now.

johnbond8459

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies.

I'm not so patriotic that I won't buy anything from China. It's rather insulting to insinuate that everything made in the US is superior to <insert country name>. This forum seems to be in love with WW Chan, and look what part of the world he/his workers are from...

With that being said, what would be the ranking of the following (in your own opinion) options in terms of quality in relation to price. I've assumed no sale prices on BB, only 2 for $XXX.

• Brooks Brother: Suiting Essentials $450 per suit
  • Brooks Brothers: 1818 Southwick $750 per suit
  • Brooks Brother: 1818 Lardini $750 per suit
  • Suit Supply: Purple Label $469 per suit
  • Suit Supply: Suit Up $639 per suit

I keep bring this up, because I've received a lot of feedback from folks asking this very same question.

unclesam099

Reaction score

I don't believe that Chinese production is even close to the quality of American, Italian, English, etc., but also because of political reasons and because I don't believe in "designer" brands.
Thanks for all the replies. I'm not so patriotic that I won't buy anything from China. It's rather insulting to insinuate that everything made in the US is superior to . This forum seems to be in love with WW Chan, and look what part of the world he/his workers are from... With that being said, what would be the ranking of the following (in your own opinion) options in terms of quality in relation to price. I've assumed no sale prices on BB, only 2 for $XXX.
I keep bring this up, because I've received a lot of feedback from folks asking this very same question.
You should stay away from Suiting Essentials, in my opinion. The 1818 suits are on sale now for $500 on the clearance page, and many sizes are available, so I think that is unfair that you list them at a higher price. You may assume the 2 for $750 if you want, though. For what it's worth, I can have a full-canvas suit made to measure by H. Freeman in Maryland for $800 or so. You may find a place that uses Southwick, Hickey Freeman, etc. for a similar price.

gumercindo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had no idea about the Lardini-BB connection. I have a Lardini-Ferragamo sportscoat from a few years back that I really enjoy. I don't know what BB's specifications are, but b/w Southwick and Lardini, I'd go with Lardini. I'm envisioning SW being more of a conservative cut.

Suit Supply is interesting. I've started looking into it. I've searched online and here and the point I take home is that it's a pretty decently made suit. I'm not sure I'd invest in the $639. They have a decent return policy, so why don't you order one, try it on, compare it to a BB suit that you tried on in the store, and then make the decision to return/keep?

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies.

I'm not so patriotic that I won't buy anything from China. It's rather insulting to insinuate that everything made in the US is superior to <insert country name>. This forum seems to be in love with WW Chan, and look what part of the world he/his workers are from...

With that being said, what would be the ranking of the following (in your own opinion) options in terms of quality in relation to price. I've assumed no sale prices on BB, only 2 for $XXX.

Why are you asking people to rank apples and oranges? If you like a more conservative cut suit, go BB. If you like a slim, trendy cut go Suit Supply. You're overthinking this way too much.

Also, Brooks Brothers 1818's are frequently on sale and easily obtained for $500-600. I have BB Lardini and BB Southwick; there is no difference in quality. I agree to stay away from Suiting Essentials if you can afford the 1818's. I typically only recommend Suiting Essentials to people who are spending the same money buying overpriced crap at Nordstrom Rack or Macy's.

johnbond8459

Reaction score
If you read what i was asking I was referring to quality not cut.

Suit brands are not apples and oranges, they are all similar since the item, a suit, at it's basic level is the same. The difference comes in the construction, materials, and price. Therefore, ranking is perfectly acceptable and reasonable to do in this situation. If you think one is far superior to the other, then rank it higher. Imagine if I'm comparing a Ferrari, Mustang, Camaro and Kia. Sure they are different, maybe not completely comparable from a sector level. However, they are all cars with engines, doors, and move you from point a to b; they can be subjectively ranked. That's what I'm asking, a subjective rank.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads