• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brooks Brothers VS. J.Crew polos?

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are BB and J. Crew polos the same thing? We're going to Vegas tomorrow, I was going to pick up a few polos from BB if there's one. I wear the 'slim-fit' solid color version. Are the J. Crew's the same thing for a few $ less? Thanks!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
J Crew's fit a lot better.

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
J Crew's fit a lot better.

Better? Wow, the BB already fit pretty damn good
worship.gif

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
I've no experience with BB's polos but my current favorite is the J. Crew vintage tailored fit polo (NOT the repp tailored fit polo) out of the typical "mall brands". I have a pretty decent taper (about 10" drop) so I'm hard to fit, and these fit the best. Incidentally, just picked up several at $10/apiece during J. Crew's recent sale. Several colors are on sale and then use the EXTRA30 code (check on fatwallet.com) for additional savings.

rjakapeanut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i LOVE the fit of the vintage tailored fit polo. heres a pic of me trying one on. didnt buy them because for $30 i figured id just check out other brands, but i was curious of the fit:
a-11.jpg

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjakapeanut
i LOVE the fit of the vintage tailored fit polo. heres a pic of me trying one on. didnt buy them because for $30 i figured id just check out other brands, but i was curious of the fit:

a-11.jpg

Thanks for the pic. What size is that, and how tall are you? I'm about 5"7" and 125, so I'm thinking a small should work, but then I like to put things in the dryer and I don't want it to shrink too much.
smile.gif

I<3Bacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ace Rimmer
my current favorite is the J. Crew vintage tailored fit polo (NOT the repp tailored fit polo)

What's the difference? Not feelin' the vintage colors...

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by I<3Bacon
What's the difference? Not feelin' the vintage colors...

Mostly the fit. The repp fitted polo is much more billowy at the waist area. If you have a significant drop (like I do) then this makes a big difference. I'm basically a 41-42 chest/31-32 waist and the size medium fits me rather well -- again, for a "mall" brand. For $10-11/shirt I can't complain.

The only other difference is that the repp polo does not have a "tag" at the nape of your neck; the J. Crew logo is screened into the cloth. The vintage polo has a square tag that is sewn so you will see a "square" when looking at the shirt from the rear. I personally don't like the tag being so visible, but I'll put up with it for the better fit.

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the BB slimfit except for the length. Tailoring about two inches off the front hem then evening up the silly tail, the shirt fits well.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
**** the J Crew polos. They stretch out in 1-2 wears.

RustyRyan

Reaction score
I have quite a few JCrew polos and none of mine have stretched out, but i also don't wear mine skin tight...

Lysol

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjakapeanut
a-11.jpg

The arms on that polo look way too big for your arms.

smoothie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lysol
The arms on that polo look way too big for your arms.

That's because he should do some pushups, not a testament to poor J Crew tailoring

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads