• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Just looking at ties on the bay and I noticed a lot of ties marked Brooks Brothers Makers.

They seem to be new. Are these made for the outlets? What is the difference in quality?

I've typically only seen and only own the ones that just say "Brooks Brothers" written in the script lettering.

TheFusilliJerry

Reaction score
no difference. Its not meant to be 'Brooks Brothers Makers', as in a different label, more like Brooks Brothers Makers, as in the Makers are Brooks Brothers.

sorry if that doesn't make much of any sense.

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My understanding was that Brooks Bros. Makers was supposed to be of a slightly higher quality. If you're in the store most of the non-Makers ties currently retail for about $79.50 or less (barring any sales or bulk discounts), whereas the Makers are currently going for $89.50 or more.

Last fall they put out some woven wool ties that were really nice (I'm a sucker for not having picked up any) that were Makers. You may also recall in the catalog from (I think) fall 2005 they were pushing their "Silk Madder" ties which were also quite nice and made under the Makers label.

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Makers is the designation used for an item made by Brooks Brothers themselves as opposed to under a license. At this time I believe the only items with the Makers tag are ties, but the company still makes some shirts as well.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Items made specifically for the outlets have labels that say "346"

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
Items made specifically for the outlets have labels that say "346"

As I understand it, that isn't true. Brooks now has a limited number of stores doing business as "346". They are aimed at a younger segment of the market and feature sportswear and business casual, as well as a smaller selection of suits and dress shirts than would be found in a regular Brooks Brothers store. Some of the lines are regular Brooks and some are "346" so that line isn't made just for the outlets.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tonylumpkin
As I understand it, that isn't true. Brooks now has a limited number of stores doing business as "346". They are aimed at a younger segment of the market and feature sportswear and business casual, as well as a smaller selection of suits and dress shirts than would be found in a regular Brooks Brothers store. Some of the lines are regular Brooks and some are "346" so that line isn't made just for the outlets.
Interesting Tony. My info is at least 4-5 years old, but I once returned a 346 shirt to a regular brooks store and they took it, but immediately asked if I bought it from the outlet. For those who don't know, 346 Madison is the street number of their original flagship store. Got this from BB website: Quality Cloting for Men and Women at the Value you've come to expect: The complete "346" Brooks Brothers collection is only available in the stores listed below. You can also find an edited selection of "346" \t\t\tmerchandise at our factory stores. To find a "346" Brooks Brothers store, select the 'Retail and 346' option on our store locator. To find a \t\t\tBrooks Brothers factory store near you, select the 'Factory/Outlet' option on our store locator. To shop online for the original Brooks \t\t\tBrothers collection, visit BrooksBrothers.com.

poelow

Reaction score
My custom MTM shirt just received from Brooks Brothers has the "makers" tag on it. I am told the shirt was made in North Carolina... I was under the impression that was the label on their MTM clothes?

FreedBird

Reaction score
Originally Posted by poelow
My custom MTM shirt just received from Brooks Brothers has the "makers" tag on it. I am told the shirt was made in North Carolina... I was under the impression that was the label on their MTM clothes?

Poelow is right about the shirts. It is also the label that they use to design new styles, many of which never actually make it to production, which is why on the shirts there won't be any size listed. The Brooks Brothers Makers are the retail store ties.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads