• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brooks Brothers Thread

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey SF people, saw that there wasn't a BB thread (although lots of posts). Maybe it's not as popular here on SF?

Anyway, been looking into some of BB's Made in USA 1818 suits. Since I don't live in the States right now and there is no BB around me where I currently live, wanted to get the SF forum members' opinions on fit and sizing and overall discussion of BB products.

I'm looking into getting a 1818 suit like this:

It's a linen blend suit, thinking ahead to summer already. Problem is BB has terrible information visualization. They don't even have exact size measurements across their products and simply expect customers to just go by their naming scheme.

Does anyone here on SF have any experience with BB suits especially the Milano and Regent fits? For reference, I have an OTR J.Crew Ludlow from several years back and wear a 36S. How would a 36S Milano / Regent fit compared to a J.Crew Ludlow slim fit? I don't have any other OTR as I made my way over to bespoke in HKG, but now I'm seeking some good ol' Made in USA suits for the hell of it.

Thanks y'all!

compuccesory

Reaction score
I think they fit similary based on experience, while the Madison is more akin to the JCrew "Crosby".

I personally can't wear any of them myself because I am convinced that their heavily padded shoulders look strange on my fairly developed shoulders, with weird dimpling on the back edge of the arm even though the rest of the suit actually fits OK (I'm fat). Pretty much Italian suits only for me.

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think they fit similary based on experience, while the Madison is more akin to the JCrew "Crosby".

I personally can't wear any of them myself because I am convinced that their heavily padded shoulders look strange on my fairly developed shoulders, with weird dimpling on the back edge of the arm even though the rest of the suit actually fits OK (I'm fat). Pretty much Italian suits only for me.

Thanks, would you say the Milano is a tad more slim fit than the Ludlow? Looking at the photos online, they call REGENT fit as "fitted" but it looks pretty boxy to me.

I guess I could always get the Regent fit and tailor it after the fact... better to have more fabric to work with than less I presume.

compuccesory

Reaction score
They are all drop 6, with fairly extended shoulders with padding. I don't know why you would be suddenly interested in a BB 1818 if you are used to bespoke. Have you considered Suitsupply? Basically the same quality level for a more realistic price.

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are all drop 6, with fairly extended shoulders with padding. I don't know why you would be suddenly interested in a BB 1818 if you are used to bespoke. Have you considered Suitsupply? Basically the same quality level for a more realistic price.

I bespoked when I lived / traveled to HK for work very often. I have visited some SS outlets, but I don't like the cutting on their suits. BB always goes on sale too so a lot of 1818 and even Golden Fleece can be had for around 400 - 600 USD. Also, Made in USA which I'm looking to support more of if possible.

MellonC

Reaction score
Drudging up an old thread. Has anyone tried on a BrooksGate suit separates? Some of the solid colors seems like good value with VBC fabric at 120 thread count. Not sure about canvassing.... I chatted with the rep on the phone but, as usual, they don't even know what that is. Half canvas or fused (or floating).... Also not sure about lining material, whether its 100% Bemberg Cupro or Polymide mix. Otherwise, they seem to be cut in the same pattern as other Regent or Milano patterns.
Thoughts or reviews?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads