• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brooks Brothers Tailoring Cost Breakdown?

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Called and spoke to a BB Sales Associate today who said there is "an entire sheet for alteration prices" and could not give me a breakdown over the phone which is understandable.

Does anyone have a copy or link to the sheet they could scan or post. Trying to get an idea if I should get my suit tailored at Brooks Brothers in Short Hills, NJ without knowing the costs upfront (anyone have experience with this BB tailor?) or just take it to a regular suit tailor here in NJ.

Thanks very much

beaconshome

Reaction score
I'd like to know as well since I have a BBBF suit sitting in my closet waiting to be tailored. I've been busy, but I would like to know the prices and outcomes as well!

nelly

Reaction score
Call the main madison ave. new york store, ask for the men's department - alterations, they will tell you over the phone.

For example: working cuff buttons: $12 each, Converting pleated pants to flat front: $65

Call that sales associate back on the phone and tell them you've rendered him/her useless.

nelly

Reaction score
Originally Posted by beaconshome
I'd like to know as well since I have a BBBF suit sitting in my closet waiting to be tailored. I've been busy, but I would like to know the prices and outcomes as well!

If you buy a suit new from BB online, they should do simple alterations (finishing pants) for free.

beaconshome

Reaction score
I need a little more than just the pants. I need the sleeves shorten, buttons put on the sleeves, and maybe have the jacket taken in a little.

nelly

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Achilles_
Have you done this? How did it turn out?

Not yet, but will use them for a pair of double pleated GF trousers. There are other threads on this, but BB told me they would re-cut the pants entirely. It seems like something they actually do quite often so I'm assuming they know what they're doing. Will post before/after photos when it's done.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nelly
Not yet, but will use them for a pair of double pleated GF trousers. There are other threads on this, but BB told me they would re-cut the pants entirely. It seems like something they actually do quite often so I'm assuming they know what they're doing. Will post before/after photos when it's done.

I have had nothing but problems with BB trouser alterations. I wouldn't let them re-cut a pair of pants I care about. This was at the SF store.

I wouldn't use the BB in house tailors for anything but the most basic alterations, and even then I'd rather pay someone I trust.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have done that.....not at BB.......and they look great!

xudisco07

Reaction score
Originally Posted by beaconshome
They will do free alterations on a BBBF item except things like working button holes.
Originally Posted by Joenobody0
I have had nothing but problems with BB trouser alterations. I wouldn't let them re-cut a pair of pants I care about. This was at the SF store. I wouldn't use the BB in house tailors for anything but the most basic alterations, and even then I'd rather pay someone I trust.
It depends. The one in DC is really good (joel I think is his name). I had a BBBF reversible coat (1 side was mac and other side was cashmere coat and was open between the sides) they took it completely apart to slim it down that took hours and hours of work. He had to take each layer apart and alter each part of the coat exactly the same. He did a fantastic job.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads