1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Brooks Brothers suit quality overall??-in the past year.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by x26, Dec 10, 2009.

1. x26

x26 Senior member

Hello,

I was wondering your thoughts on the quality of Brooks Brothers suits-1818(Regent and Fitz) and Golden Fleece suits over the past year?
    Are they good? Just ok? Getting better?

It seems that thier Made in Italy offerings are much nicer than others. What are your thoughts?

Thanks for your thoughts!

2. furo

furo Senior member

Hello,

I was wondering your thoughts on the quality of Brooks Brothers suits-1818(Regent and Fitz) and Golden Fleece suits over the past year?
    Are they good? Just ok? Getting better?

It seems that thier Made in Italy offerings are much nicer than others. What are your thoughts?

Thanks for your thoughts!

1818 and Black Fleece quality are declining since the acquisition of Southwick

Not sure about Golden Fleece

3. Mr T

Mr T Senior member

The 1818 line is split between those made by Southwick in the USA and those made in Italy (I am drawing a blank as to the Italian maker). I agree that the Southwick suits have declined in quality over the past year or so. The Italian 1818s however seem as nice as ever.

4. porcelain monkey

porcelain monkey Senior member

I have a few Fitz, and I like the cut and fit, but have to say the quality is not what I would have expected. I have had to have several things (belt loops, pocket linings, interior lining) repaired because they just gave out at the seams after less than a year. I bought each of these during sales, so I guess for a $400 - 500 suit they are OK, but at $900 to 1000 full price, they are a disaster.

5. niidawg3

niidawg3 Senior member

the shoulders on my last Brooks purchase was terrible. i wore it once ... and now have it in to the tailor to get the shoulder re-tooled. might post before and after shots to show the difference.

my older BB suits irrespective of line had GREAT shoulders!!!

6. Mr. Checks

Mr. Checks Senior member

God, I hate hearing this. My one 1818 and three GFs are about 5 years old and no issues whatsover.

My Brooksease is older still and not the same quality as the above, but far ahead of stuff like Calvin Klein, etc.

At that price you might look at the Canadian-made Jack Victor; I have two sport coats that are well-made.

7. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I only know about Black Fleece, and the quality has definitely declined. I have suits from each season and the ones from this season are not nearly as good as the ones from '07 and '08. I wore one from this season today and was thinking to myself that I won't be purchasing more. Yes, they are much cheaper now compared to their prices in '07, but the current level of quality is not good enough for me to continue with the brand.

8. WhateverYouLike

WhateverYouLike Senior member

I only know about Black Fleece, and the quality has definitely declined. I have suits from each season and the ones from this season are not nearly as good as the ones from '07 and '08. I wore one from this season today and was thinking to myself that I won't be purchasing more. Yes, they are much cheaper now compared to their prices in '07, but the current level of quality is not good enough for me to continue with the brand.

Aye, they're not using Caruso anymore right? Major bummer.

9. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Aye, they're not using Caruso anymore right? Major bummer.
    Correct, they're not, and it shows.

10. Fashion Fan

Fashion Fan Senior member

How are the made in Thailand sportscoats in terms of quality? $448 seems steep for a blazer made in Thailand.