• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brooks Brothers Suit Fits - Fitzgerald v. Regent

The Transporter

Reaction score
I'm getting married in October and I'm wearing a MTM morning coat from Brooks Brothers and my groomsmen are wearing charcoal suits, also from Brooks Brothers. One of them is going to be in town today so we're going to the store for him to be fitted. He's pretty slim at 6'4" so just wondering which fit would be best - Regent or Fitzgerald?

I always thought the Fitzgerald was the slimmer of the two but the salesman I spoke to last month said the Regent was. He'll definitely need the trimmer one as I doubt he tops 180lbs.

Are the lapels on the Fitzgerald still "Mad Men" skinny? That's one of the things that worries me about that cut, that it'll look even more dated next year or the year after, especially since these guys don't wear suits but once or twice a year. Their wives are happy that I'm getting them to buy a suit, though.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Fitz is the slimmer of the two, from my experience. Additionally, there's the Milano, which is slimmer still. Take a look at what's available at the store and make your decision based on what looks best.

I'd recommend the Madison cut, personally. While it's a bit roomier than the other three, it has the most traditional cut. Moreover, you can always get the waist suppressed to achieve a more fitted"look.

js4design

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fitz is slimmer of the two, but regent has a bigger drop (7").

The Transporter

Reaction score
Thanks, guys. I'm thinking the Regent is probably the best bet. The Madison is way too boxy the times I've tried that on.

Grenadier

Reaction score
The Regent has more noticeable waist suppression than the Fitzgerald, so it may look slimmer.

utexas

Reaction score
I'm 6'4", around 175 lbs. Probably close to your friend's size. I really like the Fitz. The Milano, however, is a triumph. Very slim, form-fitting. Shame they don't keep many of my size in stock.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Transporter
I'm getting married in October and I'm wearing a MTM morning coat from Brooks Brothers and my groomsmen are wearing charcoal suits, also from Brooks Brothers. One of them is going to be in town today so we're going to the store for him to be fitted. He's pretty slim at 6'4" so just wondering which fit would be best - Regent or Fitzgerald? I always thought the Fitzgerald was the slimmer of the two but the salesman I spoke to last month said the Regent was. He'll definitely need the trimmer one as I doubt he tops 180lbs. Are the lapels on the Fitzgerald still "Mad Men" skinny? That's one of the things that worries me about that cut, that it'll look even more dated next year or the year after, especially since these guys don't wear suits but once or twice a year. Their wives are happy that I'm getting them to buy a suit, though.
I would inform the store manager that their SA's don't have even the most basic knowledge about the products they sell. Unfortunately, the manager probably doesn't know any better either
confused.gif
How the hell can an SA give you such obviously wrong advice??

essej

Reaction score
I would get whichever one fits the best in the shoulder.

WiseMenOfGotham

Reaction score
If your friend has an athletic chest and shoulders, the Regent will fit better and you can adjust the waist (I tried out all of their fits recently, I'm a 42R and 32W).

CYstyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not wrong advice. The regent has a drop 7 and with more waist suppression, with alterations you can take it in a little bit more. The main problem with the Fitz is it's 6" drop and with that the lack of waist supression so on slim guys it's too boxy at the waist.

milano is slimmest. but it has slim "mad men" lapels

Regent Vs Fitz, your friend may end up with the Regent

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Transporter
I'm getting married in October and I'm wearing a MTM morning coat from Brooks Brothers and my groomsmen are wearing charcoal suits, also from Brooks Brothers. One of them is going to be in town today so we're going to the store for him to be fitted. He's pretty slim at 6'4" so just wondering which fit would be best - Regent or Fitzgerald?

I always thought the Fitzgerald was the slimmer of the two but the salesman I spoke to last month said the Regent was. He'll definitely need the trimmer one as I doubt he tops 180lbs.

Are the lapels on the Fitzgerald still "Mad Men" skinny? That's one of the things that worries me about that cut, that it'll look even more dated next year or the year after, especially since these guys don't wear suits but once or twice a year. Their wives are happy that I'm getting them to buy a suit, though.

Why not let the fitting determine which is better rather than conjecture here?

The Transporter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR
Why not let the fitting determine which is better rather than conjecture here?

It was more about getting an idea if the salesman was wrong about the difference between the two fits, hence why I asked the question in the first place. That SA was off today so we worked with someone else.

The tailor ended up measuring him and he went with the Regent fit in a 41L. Thanks for all the replies.

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought both a Fitz and a Regent suit around the same time. The Fitz may appear slimmer due to the narrower lapels etc. However, the cut is definitely boxier than the Regent and the tailor had to take in the waist quite a bit more than in case of the Regent. In addition the Fitz trousers come with a 6'' drop, the Regent trousers with a 7'' drop.

So in my opinion the Regent is indeed "slimmer" as far as waist sizing is concerned, whereas the Fitz is "slimmer" as far as lapels are concerned.

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by luftvier
I'd recommend the Madison cut, personally. While it's a bit roomier than the other three, it has the most traditional cut. Moreover, you can always get the waist suppressed to achieve a more fitted"look.

I often hear that the Madison cut is timeless. I think it looks plain and simple dull unless you are somebody with a significant pot belly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads