Brooks Brothers Suit Alterations

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by boo1234, Nov 5, 2012.

1. boo1234

boo1234 Member

I purchased a BB fitzgerald on October 18, the day they had the 30% corporate discount going. The store did not have my size, so they ordered it and had it shipped to the store. It arrived on the 29th and the sales associate there called me to let me know they would start the alterations. I thought it would take a couple of days max, so I did not ask for a time frame as to when it would be done. Now a week later, I am wondering if I should call or is this normally how long it takes?

2. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

From the delivery information section of their site:

"Please note that delivery of merchandise that has been reordered or requires alterations, monogramming, or personalization will take approximately two additional weeks."

3. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Senior member

In the amount of time it took you to log on to SF and create this thread you could have called the store to find out the exact answer.

4. boo1234

boo1234 Member

In the amount of time it took you to read this thread and post that stupid remark, you could have just hit the back button and ignored.

5. duggyald

duggyald Senior member

When it comes to online purchases, I always follow up via email or call the hotline - feel free to nag them if you want to there's no harm in following up plus that's what their customer service is for.

6. jt10000

jt10000 Senior member

LOL

7. Roger Everett

Roger Everett Senior member

After reading your post, I couldn't help but wondering about the alterations. How could they do the alterations, for the best fit, without you going in for the fit and marking. I understand they could have your measurements on hand, but no matter how carefully the factory makes suits, there can be slight deviations from one to another even of the same pattern.

8. f800gs

f800gs Senior member

9. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

I assume they measured him in a different jacket that was the correct size and then entered the alterations into the computer.

10. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

THIS^^^ He'll post a comment 3 days from now along the lines of, "So, I called the store today, and they told me that my suit shipped this morning."

Someone's butt-hurt by the truth. No need for the snark.
    That's all well and good, but he was going to buy a Brooks Brothers OTR. The "best fit" probably isn't his main concern. He's going to need future alterations anyway.

11. Patek

Patek Senior member

I have two BB GF suits that were OTR that fit very well. However, I had them tailored in the store and one of them is actually back there now three years later for some adjustments. Not everything OTR is crap.

12. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

Well, you're one lucky s.o.b. I didn't say that everything OTR is crap (though I believe that most of it is crap compared to the price). I simply pointed out that the above poster was going too far with his concerns about "best fit" BECAUSE a person who's buying OTR doesn't expect the type of results that come from in-person fittings.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012

13. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

Just to piggyback on to this thread, can pants that were previously hemmed by lengthened? I'd like to lengthen my Regent suit pants by an inch.

14. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

I think they farm some alterations out to local seamsters/seamstresses, so it will depend on the workload of the people they are farming it out to.

I bought a suit over the summer and the turnaround on the alterations was quoted at two weeks.

I think it depends on how much fabric they saved in the leg. I think you could probably get it let out an inch in most circumstances though.

15. andrewgreg

andrewgreg Senior member

i may took 2 weeks to do it or even longer. Purchasing a suit @ BB when sale season and need alteration is a nightmare