Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Brooks Brothers store annoyances

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by musicguy, Jun 13, 2011.

1. gladhands

gladhands Senior member

I'm a recent college grad and the SA's in the Boston Newbury Street location have always treated me with respect.

I wouldn't say they were rude, but I've never found the Newburt St SAs overly eager to help me, or particularly knowlegable about their shoes.

2. Bill Smith

Bill Smith Senior member

I have been shopping at the Toronto Brooks Brothers store for about a year now and to be honest, the sales associates are the best I have seen in retail up here in Canada and I have received nothing but stellar service at this store.

Now if you are receiving less than wonderful service in more than one location Musicguy, hate to say this, it might be you, not them.

3. tj100

tj100 Senior member

I wouldn't say they were rude, but I've never found the Newburt St SAs overly eager to help me, or particularly knowlegable about their shoes.

As I get older, I definitely find the Newbury street staff better. Five years ago (when I was mid/late 20's), they were borderline unhelpful. Now, (early 30s) they're super helpful.

The (sad?) fact is that most people reading SF will know more about their clothing than the SA's do. It's just a fact. And it's no different in any other market - an 'enthusiast' will always know more about the product than the average sales associate.

4. gladhands

gladhands Senior member

As I get older, I definitely find the Newbury street staff better. Five years ago (when I was mid/late 20's), they were borderline unhelpful. Now, (early 30s) they're super helpful.

mid-30s here

5. musicguy

musicguy Senior member

I've had great experiences with the KOP store, and if you are up for a ride the Bridgewater NJ store was fantastic to deal with. If you would rather go to RL the philly store is great to work with, I've dealt with Sam, Max, Elizabeth (GM) and the new fellow and they're all fantastic. They've gone out of their way to help me as a salesperson so I can only imagine they're very helpful to customers.
    I definitely agree. The Philly RL SAs are really fantastic, probably the best I've dealt with anywhere. Super helpful, happy you stop by even if you don't buy anything and always make you feel good. Thanks for the recommendation Luftvier and Patek.
    Something I have never understood is a business saying they will call you, and then not bothering. If something I want merits a callback, it is almost a given I want to purchase it, why don't they want to sell me things? Even if they thought it was unlikely I would buy, a call to ascertain as much would take all of 2 minutes. Are they just incompetent and lose my number, or stupid and dismiss the sale? In either case, I will certainly not call up to chase them about it, simply buy elsewhere.
    Agreed! As a side note, I went to Burberry in downtown Philly and the SA Jonathon in the men's clothing area was extremely helpful and knew all about the construction of the suits, where to get the correct sizes, etc.

6. southbound35

southbound35 Senior member

I definitely agree. The Philly RL SAs are really fantastic, probably the best I've dealt with anywhere. Super helpful, happy you stop by even if you don't buy anything and always make you feel good.

All of the following is based on one trip to Philly.

I was impressed by the staff at the downtown Philly RL store as well. A foreign woman (Italian, IIRC), in her 30's I would guess, was very helpful. Much less impressed by the the staff at the King of Prussia RL store. I literally had to summon some help, which was less than accommodating. I was the only customer in the store with one male associate and two female associates. I was looking at a basic polo knit shirt (on sale) they didn't have in my size. I inquired to see if he might check other stores' inventories and have one shipped to me. He informed me that their "inventory system shuts down at 8 pm". I was so annoyed, I walked out of the store and googled a random RL store to call and ask if what he told me was accurate. The person who answered the phone told me that wasn't the case and was more than willing to find the shirt I was looking for. I've never called out an employee to his/her manager before, but I almost did with that guy. I wrote it off to "maybe he was having an off night" and blew it off.

On my only visit to the Philly BB (didn't visit the one at KoP), the two sales people who helped me were very helpful.

Sorry to hear you weren't treated well. As others have mentioned, it could have something to do with your age, the ineptness of the sales staff, or a combination of both. Another explanation could be that it seemed that the staff at many of the stores in downtown Philly were more like well-dressed loss prevention officers than sales staff. Regradless of the reason, you deserve better.

7. Patek

Patek Senior member

All of the following is based on one trip to Philly.

I was impressed by the staff at the downtown Philly RL store as well. A foreign woman (Italian, IIRC), in her 30's I would guess, was very helpful. Much less impressed by the the staff at the King of Prussia RL store. I literally had to summon some help, which was less than accommodating. I was the only customer in the store with one male associate and two female associates. I was looking at a basic polo knit shirt (on sale) they didn't have in my size. I inquired to see if he might check other stores' inventories and have one shipped to me. He informed me that their "inventory system shuts down at 8 pm". I was so annoyed, I walked out of the store and googled a random RL store to call and ask if what he told me was accurate. The person who answered the phone told me that wasn't the case and was more than willing to find the shirt I was looking for. I've never called out an employee to his/her manager before, but I almost did with that guy. I wrote it off to "maybe he was having an off night" and blew it off.

On my only visit to the Philly BB (didn't visit the one at KoP), the two sales people who helped me were very helpful.

Sorry to hear you weren't treated well. As others have mentioned, it could have something to do with your age, the ineptness of the sales staff, or a combination of both. Another explanation could be that it seemed that the staff at many of the stores in downtown Philly were more like well-dressed loss prevention officers than sales staff. Regradless of the reason, you deserve better.

The lady you speak of at the Philly RL store is Russian or one of the former Soviet Block countries.

She is very helpful and I tend to buy stuff that I'm on the fence about if I have a good salesperson. She also wouldn't stop complementing me on by boots--which of course is always flattering or maybe I'm just a sucker. Either way, it works.

8. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

9. viator

viator Senior member

It sounds like the OP is suffering from "out of sight, out of mind" on the SAs' part. Many of the anecdotes revolve around asking for an item to be brought to the store so the OP could try the item on. My guess is that, since there was no sale being made that day, you dropped to the lowest priority on the SAs' lists and they forgot about you. I'm not saying it's good service or you did anything wrong, in fact it's terrible service, but I suspect this was the rationale for your treatment.

10. jakeh0

jakeh0 Member

ive had a wide variety of experiences at BB from a snooty guy who barely made time for me and tried to convince me that extra slim was not worth it to a guy who was offering to measure me and have polos made

11. utexas

utexas Well-Known Member

May I suggest (if you haven't already done this) visiting the store on off-hours when they have less traffic and more time

Agreed. My experiences have always been better on weeknights, in the few hours just before closing.

12. Amelorn

Amelorn Senior member

Went into the South Coast Plaza store and was looking at their top end briefcase for my son who just graduated from law school. I was wearing 501 jeans and a plain T-shirt and the SA came up to me and said "We have some nice canvas models back here"
    I walked out.

D.

In this day and age, that kind of profiling is idiotic and self-defeating. 60 years ago, maybe. At the Madison Ave location, the help is downright useless. I had on my best 100% cashmere coat and English shoes, and I still got the condescending looks, and worse, the "shadowing." I HATE being followed in a store (now I know why my black friends hated stores as kids).

I was intending to pick up a shirt or a pair of trousers, but I could not stand putting food on the table of certain cretinous help.

13. thebac

thebac Senior member

Agreed, it seems like it would be a good way to make a good impression on a new customer by spending a few minutes looking into something and then following up with a call. I presume they're busy and just forget about it, but it's still poor form.

Something I have never understood is a business saying they will call you, and then not bothering. If something I want merits a callback, it is almost a given I want to purchase it, why don't they want to sell me things? Even if they thought it was unlikely I would buy, a call to ascertain as much would take all of 2 minutes. Are they just incompetent and lose my number, or stupid and dismiss the sale? In either case, I will certainly not call up to chase them about it, simply buy elsewhere.

14. musicguy

musicguy Senior member

It sounds like the OP is suffering from "out of sight, out of mind" on the SAs' part. Many of the anecdotes revolve around asking for an item to be brought to the store so the OP could try the item on. My guess is that, since there was no sale being made that day, you dropped to the lowest priority on the SAs' lists and they forgot about you. I'm not saying it's good service or you did anything wrong, in fact it's terrible service, but I suspect this was the rationale for your treatment.

Good point. Too bad for them that, had they been helpful, I would have purchased more. The only item I was on the wall about was the tails. I didn't ask them to get it in my size to try on, the SA offered this to me. I fully intended to buy the other items.

Anyway, I'm moving, so whatever. Hopefully the SAs in the Santiago BB store are better!

15. repp_fink

repp_fink Well-Known Member

My sense of the sales assistant in the Japanese store I've been to is that he was quite knowledgeable and helpful, but didn't seriously expect me to follow through due to my age (I'm in my mid-20s) and the casual clothing I was wearing on my day off.

The level of service I've received at my local Brooks Brothers has always been directly proportional to how formally I've been dressed. Sample size < 6; x-intercept @ "very casual".