• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brooks Brothers Bankruptcy Thread

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So, when can we expect sales? I want to pick up suits from BB before they go under.

thought they have been doing sale for a while and it’s chapter 11 probably get out some location and have a “cleaner BB” for the new prospective buyer

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Paul Stuart and RL today doesn’t look very BB to me though. Also RLPL doesn’t make money it’s the rest of the line up sold in volume, so you could say BB has copied that model without an aspirational upper tier like RLPL (I guess Golden Fleece is suppose to be like that, but it just felt good quality but behind time)
can you please post facts on this? How do you know what does or doesn't make money? Do you work for BB or RL?

nzahir

Reaction score
How is the quality of BB dress shirts today?

I am young and need to get some dress shirts, but I want to stick in that $30-$55 per shirt range (on sale price is fine too or even scavenger through ebay for new shirts)

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would avoid their " No Iron" cotton shirts. I do not actually
own any, but do own their no -iron cotton pajamas in oxford cloth
and broad cloth. I do not like the"feel " of them. It's like they were
sprayed with a "finish" which I suspect they were. My old BB pajamas
do not feel that way. Another sign of their decline, no doubt.

nzahir

Reaction score
What dress shirts do you wear?

Can anyone here guide me to a dress shirt thread for common Qs (if there is one).

I have been looking a brands like Charles Tyrwhitt, TM Lewin, BB, Nordstrom, Spier and Mckay, Twillory, and Tiebar for fairly priced dress shirts. Just not sure which to go with

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can anyone here guide me to a dress shirt thread for common Qs (if there is one).

I have been looking a brands like Charles Tyrwhitt, TM Lewin, BB, Nordstrom, Spier and Mckay, Twillory, and Tiebar for fairly priced dress shirts. Just not sure which to go with
PM me your size and location - I may have some options for you.

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How is the quality of BB dress shirts today?

I am young and need to get some dress shirts, but I want to stick in that $30-$55 per shirt range (on sale price is fine too or even scavenger through ebay for new shirts)

Almost all my work wear shirts are Brooks Brothers. I think the quality is decent as long as you avoid the outlet store stuff which are definitely inferior.

Oh, and I go with the non-iron shirts because I do my own laundry and I absolutely hate ironing shirts. Personally, I don't find the fabric to feel strange at all.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I really hate non-iron shirts. The fabric treatment makes them not very breathable and super hot for me in the summer. Ever try Ledbury? Decent, affordable dress shirts in Italian fabric. Maybe a bit pricier than you were looking for.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
can you please post facts on this? How do you know what does or doesn't make money? Do you work for BB or RL?

Fact on BB expand to lower tier? I mean it added outlet store and Red Fleece.

As to RLPL not making money, nop, no data, my speculation (just think the volume RLPL sell vs $6b rev, $0.5bn operating income).

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

what do you mean by "fairly priced" shirt, you mean you just want shirt in the <$100 range? I would add kamakura

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Almost all my work wear shirts are Brooks Brothers. I think the quality is decent as long as you avoid the outlet store stuff which are definitely inferior.

Oh, and I go with the non-iron shirts because I do my own laundry and I absolutely hate ironing shirts. Personally, I don't find the fabric to feel strange at all.

I get regular shirt, wash cold then hung dry, don't even bother iron them, yea I'm that sloppy...

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s expensive but I send all mine to the cleaners. Too time consuming to iron.

TimothyF

Reaction score

Brooks still carries the regular cotton button down shirts in pinpoint and end on end, in appropriate office colors and all fits up to Traditional. Made in Malaysia with stiff collar and cuffs, but still a decent workhorse shirt for a decent price. You can get them 50% about twice a year, which comes out to roughly $35 if I recall.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fact on BB expand to lower tier? I mean it added outlet store and Red Fleece.

As to RLPL not making money, nop, no data, my speculation (just think the volume RLPL sell vs $6b rev, $0.5bn operating income).
so just more gossip?? why??

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
not good advice for someone looking to try the brand, especially since you have no experience with their shirts.

@nzahir I would try one of their non-iron shirts and see if you like it. I've been wearing these shirts for over 10 years - the fabric feels fine! They are not being sold/marketed as anything other than what they are. BB is a leader in the non-iron shirts market and I think you will enjoy and eventually make them your go-to shirt.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads