Brooks Brothers quality

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Poloboy, Nov 23, 2012.

1. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Senior member

zHugh, do you have a pic of the tie? I've noticed that anything labeled Black Fleece by BB has a ridiculous price on it.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013

2. zHugh

zHugh Member

[​IMG]

Yeah BeSpiffington I wouldn't have paid the $125 retail but for the $37 I paid for it I am very satisfied. And I agree with anything BF generally being obscenely overpriced. The ties when they are on sale is about the only thing I would consider from that line. You can get MTM for what their suits go for even on sale.

3. BeSpiffington

zhugh, nice looking tie. BBBF tend to or want to be fashion forward in style. I must say that I've found the construction of BF articles to be pretty good in most cases. Your right about their suiting prices to be ridiculous. Some people seem to be able to purchase RTW off-the-rack suits at retail prices, though I'm not that rich or that mentally impaired. Speaking of nice suits I was told about a tailor in NYC named Martin Greenfield who was highly recommended. In the eighties we all wore Armani. Since then it's been Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece and Hickey-Freeman. I can walk into a BBGF 43/R suit with minor adjustments. H-F suits are only as nice as the fabrics you pick out, with their finishing being pretty much above average. The last MTM Hickey I had made was about ten years ago though.

4. zHugh

zHugh Member

BeSpiffington, I like slim ties mainly because I'm a slim guy so most ties above 3" in width I feel are not proportionate on me. I haven't heard of Mr. Greenfield, I actually got my first MTM suit a few months back from Kent Wang. So I haven't had experience with the other guys except for RTW. I have to slowly grow my wardrobe due to limited funds.

5. BeSpiffington

zHugh, I've heard of Kent Wang, very stylish. How do you like it? Even if I didn't have limited funds, and I do, I'd still be super particular about assembling my wardrobe. God forbid I end up looking like Gordon Gekko in "Wall Street".

6. mebiuspower

mebiuspower Senior member

It might be true that the quality is nothing like 30 years ago but it's all relative compare to other brands at the same price point.

That's the problem with globalization and consumerism. Nobody bothers to spend money on quality items anymore regardless of clothes, appliances and electronics. Everything is made as cheap as possible and when it's worn/broken you throw them away and buy new ones.

We're living in a disposable world.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013

7. zHugh

zHugh Member

BeSpiffington, haha yeah its tricky finding your style and separating that from the trends. I don't want to look like i'm an extra on Boardwalk Empire but at the same time i don't want something that's trendy and will look ridiculous in 5 years. I like the quality of Kent Wang a lot. If I get another one made I'm going to tweak the measurements and specifications a bit now that I know how everything fits and looks together. The full canvas construction is very nice.

8. BeSpiffington

zHugh, it's funny that you mentioned "Boardwalk Empire". It's not only my gf's favorite show, but the tailor that I mentioned, Martin Greenfield, makes the suits for the characters on that show. Very outlandish, though I wouldn't mind dressing as well as Dr. Narcisse.

9. zHugh

zHugh Member

BeSpiffington, it's a great show and I love the costumes but unfortunatley that's just what they would look like in today's world. Sometimes I wish everyone still took that much pride in their appearance.

10. BeSpiffington

zHugh, no matter what style of dress you choose I think 170's worsted wool, cashmere, silk, and vicuña are the best fabrics to use. Might as well be beautifully comfortable.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013

11. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

12. BeSpiffington

Alcibiades, nice sweater. Do not, repeat, do not pay $230 or whatever for this garment. I have several T&D for BB cashmere sweaters and I find that they're very well made, but you can find them NWT on eBay for less than half of the list price, in excellent condition at consignment shops for a fifth to a tenth of their list, and at places like Savers for damn near free. At BB online price's that sweater is pretty fuckin' gifty, and it's not even perrywinkle or a deep ocean blue. Can you tell that I like shopping for sweaters?

13. rhitchcock345

rhitchcock345 New Member

I couldn't agree more. Brooks Brothers quality these days is absolute crap. You can go to Walmart and buy their lowest price clothing, and it will be of higher quality than the absolute garbage peddled by Brooks Brothers. In fact, you probably could go to Bangladesh and buy the cheapest clothing that they have to offer and it will be of better quality than Brooks Brothers. I have a theory that this is quite intentional on Brooks Brothers part. My hunch is that if the clothing falls apart quickly, which it will, that the customers will come back to Brooks Brothers again and buy more BB stuff to replace it. I have had BB underwear develop holes in underwear that I have never seen any brand of underwear do, even if owned for a decade or more. One time I tried to take the clothing back to BB, and the salesman was absolutely snotty and suggested that I don't care for my clothes properly. Do yourself a favor and don't shop at Brooks Brothers. Do other people a favor, and tell them not to shop there either, unless they would prefer to own clothing that will fall apart within the year. In a lifetime of shopping I've never seen such absolutely crappy clothing in terms of quality.

14. Patrick R

Patrick R Senior member

lol

BB isn't the best of the best, but your hyperbole is comical.

15. papa kot

papa kot Senior member

BB is solid in my book.

Their ties and accessories can be found at affordable prices and the quality, while not the best, is reliably above the average compared to what you'd find at J.Crew and the likes.