• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brooks Brothers outlet shopping experience

Shoe City Thinker

Reaction score
Total waste of time. First of, the outlet store had nothing but the 346 line which is total rubbish. They were having a sale for $300 but the quality of fabric and tailoring was that of a suit that I would expect to pay $189 at Syms. Then I noticed the carnival mirror on the sales floor (the one that makes you look taller and slimmer). I immediately walked out.

Had better luck at the Hickey-Freeman outlet.

Eustace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Based on the B&S threads lately, you may have just gone at a bad time.

Shoe City Thinker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DapperDave
Based on the B&S threads lately, you may have just gone at a bad time.

It was the circus carnival mirror that made me walk out. I felt insulted that they think their customers are not sophisticated to notice a funhouse mirror. I immediately got a sense that the establishment was not on the level. My zaftig girlfriend was with me and I asked her to take look at herself in that mirror. She commented on how tacky that mirror was. We both walked out at that moment.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was just at a BB outlet this week, as well. Almost everything was 346, which I've read on this site are their lower line. I bought some very casual cargo pants and pajamas. In general, I would not touch anything dressy in there - with two exceptions: they had several pairs of the Peal shoes, and they had a rack of the better shirts there being closed out (all very well picked over already). Nothing like the stuff you see for sale on the B&S here.

Also, the pants I bought were 60% off, so marked down to $25 or so.

I say only buy there when they are having a big sale day, and then only for basics.

free man

Reaction score
I have seen Black Fleece stuff at an outlet before, but it was still way expensive. Oh well

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I buy the mainline ties at the outlet near me.. have never found anything else worthwhile..

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Anybody else have an opinion on the shopping experience there? There's one in my area and was thinking about stopping by to look for a lightweight summer sportcoat and ties.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My experience has been pretty similar to those above. Lots of 346 stuff, and very little of the mainline stuff. The best luck I've had with finding mainline stuff has been shirts: They'll occasionally have a decent selection of mainline shirts that's OK if it hasn't been picked over yet.

NH_Clark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shoe City Thinker
Total waste of time. First of, the outlet store had nothing but the 346 line which is total rubbish. They were having a sale for $300 but the quality of fabric and tailoring was that of a suit that I would expect to pay $189 at Syms. Then I noticed the carnival mirror on the sales floor (the one that makes you look taller and slimmer). I immediately walked out.

Had better luck at the Hickey-Freeman outlet.

I felt the same way about the BB at Woodbury. Waste of time... only shoes they had out were "346"
crazy.gif

Jay Gatsby

Reaction score
I got a greenish-grey jacket, mostly wool, for $28 new with tags (36R, hard to find my size there). Original price was around $250. Got some decent deals on ties too. They tell me their new product will come out around 27 Jul. They have a limited selection for slim-fit though... and never anything in my waist size (29).

phillyesq

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NH_Clark
I felt the same way about the BB at Woodbury. Waste of time... only shoes they had out were "346"
crazy.gif

I've only been to the Woodbury BB outlet once. I found 3 ties -- 2 from the country club line, and one BB makers, if I recall correctly. They also had some Peal shoes, black fleece suits, and a few other hidden gems. It was mostly 346, but if you were willing to dig, you could find some decent stuff.

At the other outlets, I've found that it is almost all the 346 stuff. There is usually a clearance rack or two with items from the retail stores, and there is occasionally a find to be had there, but it depends on luck, and you have to dig.

I have one 346 suit (I purchased it about 5 years ago), and I don't care for it at all. The fabric is poor, and it just doesn't compare to my nicer suits. I also have a 346 blazer (also purchased years before I knew what I was doing). The blazer got the job done when I was younger and didn't know any better, but I certainly wouldn't recommend it, or anything else on the 346 line.

kevina

Reaction score
had 2 BB outlets in my area, one good one bad. and the good one was recently closed down.

bought a few ties and cuff links at the good one.

the bad one smells like the most horrific body odor.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping to go to the clearance centre one day.

(And probably be disappointed since they won't have medium sizes)

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hit or miss, though more miss than hit. I often walk out with nothing, but now and then you'll walk in to find a rack of Golden Fleece suits, or some mainline shoes, or some other goody that makes all the trips worthwhile.

May depend on your outlet, too.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Isn't this the same with all kinds of outlets? No matter the brand. You walk in maybe you find something. Maybe all you find is pink clown suits. If you aren't willing to waste your time you pay full retail.

There is one outlet near me. 99.99% of the stuff is crap. The girls know my sizes and tastes. They point the stuff I might like or we just chat for a few minutes. Worse things happen to me then chatting with a couple of pretty girls.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads