• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brooks Brothers MTM Sale

okdc

Reaction score
On Black Friday, I went in the Brooks Brother in Tysons Corner (VA) and the sales woman told me they were having a special - two made to measure suiting essentials suits for 799. They had a fabric book to chooses from, maybe 10-15 different choices. I am not sure how long it goes, but a similar special is up on the website still, though not with the same fabric choices.

jasonsun

Reaction score
You sure its a MTM event? Doesn't appear to be.

CliffClavin

Reaction score
It appears it is just their suiting essential separates - 2 for $799. Does anyone have any comments on the quality of this line? Is it comparable to the 346 stuff found in their outlets?

jasonsun

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CliffClavin
It appears it is just their suiting essential separates - 2 for $799. Does anyone have any comment on the quality of this line? Is it comparable to the 346 stuff found in their outlets?

I heard it's better than the 346 line but significantly worse than the 1818 line, (so if 346 is 1 and 1818 is 5, suit line is like 2.5). But it's great if you are a heavy traveler as the material is designed for wrinkle-resistant

CliffClavin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jasonsun
I heard it's better than the 346 line but significantly worse than the 1818 line, (so if 346 is 1 and 1818 is 5, suit line is like 2.5). But it's great if you are a heavy traveler as the material is designed for wrinkle-resistant

That is what I suspected. I do not care much for their 346 separates, so I will probably pass on this. Thanks for that review.

okdc

Reaction score
The online version is just for the suits you see there, but if you go into the store they will measure you and there is wider range of fabrics to choose from. Further, you get to pick which cut - Madison, Regent, Fitzgerald and then the same options as the web - 2 or 3 button, flat or pleated pants.

jasonsun

Reaction score
Originally Posted by okdc
The online version is just for the suits you see there, but if you go into the store they will measure you and there is wider range of fabrics to choose from. Further, you get to pick which cut - Madison, Regent, Fitzgerald and then the same options as the web - 2 or 3 button, flat or pleated pants.

Now that changes the story a lot....is this a nationwide thing? or just a store thing....i know from time to time, my SA will do things for his long term clients that's under the table...

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I go to the Tyson's Corner Brooks all the time and the sales ladies have repeatedly tried to hock these suits to me. The deal you are describing doesn't sound that bad but I wouldn't call it great. Suits of this quality are definitely available for less money; the kicker here is the ability to order the suit as you please. These are NOT MTM - they are MTO. You can pick the fit (Madison, Regent, Fitz) buttoning, venting, trouser front style, and trouser pocket style I believe - maybe even a bit more. You can also select your OTR size in halves (38R, 38.5R, 39R...). The fabrics do seem durable for travel as well. I guess my roundabout point is, at this price your getting a suit thats not any nicer than a Lauren Ralph Lauren suit (for example) - its just going to fit a bit better and be styled to your liking. personally, I'd rather spend that $799 on one real MTM, canvassed suit that fits almost perfectly and is much more well made.... (PLUG: Since you're in the DC area you can get such a suit at English American Clothiers in Westminster, MD)

jasonsun

Reaction score
Where on earth are you getting a MTM full canvassed suit for 700?

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^

At English American Clothiers outside of Baltimore. This is not a joke, and yes, the suits are good suits. I have spoken via PM with respected forum-poster Son of Brumell about them and he agrees that the value is good. I have posted quite a few raves about these suits on AAAC that you can find via a search but I'll give a quick run-down here:

English American makes suits for a variety of "in-house" MTMs (think of your local small-town men's shop) including Tom James, H. Freeman (not Hickey Freeman) and others (including LS Mens). There is a small store located in the factory where you can be measured and select your cloth and trimmings. The store is technically a Tom James but the resulting suits are a bit of a hybrid IMO. Before you spout-off about Tom James let me finish. The guy that runs the shop is named Elio and he is a Tom James VP - very nice man. Elio is in his mid 60s IIRC and has been in the business a very long time. Most criticism I have seen of TJ is due to a young salesman that simply can't measure well; absolutely not the case with Elio as he's great. They run sales twice a year where you get deeper savings on already well-priced stuff. You can get a suit made from basic worsteds for about $600 and one of Holland & Sherry for $1000. They have a wide selection of cloth.

Nobody is trying to tell you that these are Oxxford suits. But they are a tremendous value and complare favorable with Hickey-Freeman and Samuelsohnn IMO for the money. There is a fair amount of handwork, they take lots of measurements, and there are lots of options inlcuding infinitely adjustable lapel width, multiple armholes, etc. If you are close to Baltimore and looking to visit I'd be glad to give more details and explain the approach you should take with them.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Louche
^

If you are close to Baltimore and looking to visit I'd be glad to give more details and explain the approach you should take with them.

I'm in Baltimore and would love to hear more. Thanks.

adambparker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Louche
There is a fair amount of handwork, they take lots of measurements, and there are lots of options inlcuding infinitely adjustable lapel width, multiple armholes, etc. If you are close to Baltimore and looking to visit I'd be glad to give more details and explain the approach you should take with them.

12-Four-Arms-773904.jpg

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think this deal is for the "Selections" Made To Order line at BB. There are the basic cloths, but only the Regent cut in two, three and 6x2 button options. The suits are made in Malaysia or Thailand. I was told the turn around is about 6 weeks. Also, I think the 15% corporate discount might apply to this deal as well.

Johnathan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by okdc
On Black Friday, I went in the Brooks Brother in Tysons Corner (VA) and the sales woman told me they were having a special - two made to measure suiting essentials suits for 799. They had a fabric book to chooses from, maybe 10-15 different choices. I am not sure how long it goes, but a similar special is up on the website still, though not with the same fabric choices.
And just for clarification, this is two whole suits for 800 bucks, or two seperate pieces for 800, meaning one whole suit. Just want to make sure.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads