• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brooks Brothers' MTM blazer - thoughts?

david3558

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a business student currently transitioning into the corporate world. That being said, I have been trying to slowly build up a wardrobe that is not too large in size but can be very flexible. I feel that a wardrobe would not be complete without a classic navy blazer - as I do not have one, I stopped by my local Brooks Brothers to have a chat with a great sales associate. (John Doyle @ Cleveland BB).

I asked him about blazers and their MTM and MTO ("Select") variants. I began looking into the MTM and MTO variants because of the fact that I could choose functional buttons as well as side vents (it appears that nearly all the off the rack blazers feature a single/center vent; I prefer side vents).

According to him, a MTO blazer would mean that I get to pick the fabric, buttons, get working buttonholes, etc - but work with an existing pattern. The MTM blazer would include all of the MTO's features but feature a pattern that is altered to suit me (which would include shoulder height discrepancy, being rather skinny, etc) as well as having more handwork throughout the piece.

Because I have a corporate perks account, next month would benefit a purchase like this as I will be able to take 25% off all products. Thankfully, I will also be purchasing a gift card for 80% of its face value, essentially giving me another 20% off.

In terms of pricing (without tax or factoring in the additional gift card 20% off):

* MTM blazer drops from $870 to $652 (with additional 20% = $521)
* MTO blazer drops from $670 to $502 (with additional 20% = $401)

Taking all of that into regards, do you gentlemen feel that either the MTM or MTO would be worth it as a wardrobe staple? I am still in the early stages of building a flexible and functional wardrobe and would like to spend money wisely (I am willing to pay more, but only if the product justifies its cost - I could easily buy something from Rugby or what not )

I would really love to hear your experience with their MTM/MTO program and potentially any other suggestions you might have.

Edit: Just wanted to mention that off the rack products tend to fit alright, my main problem is that the waist area in many jackets are too wide for my somewhat skinny build and waist suppression is apparently limited to a certain amount. 6' 1" @ 160lbs.

All the best - David

js4design

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what is the difference between MTM and MTO?

david3558

Reaction score
Well according to my trusty SA, he said the MTO simply uses a template of an OTR (off the rack) blazer. I would get to pick fabrics, type of vent, buttons, etc. However, the MTM would allow various changes to be made to the pattern. It can also account for the slight height discrepancy between my shoulders. According to him, the MTM involves more 'hand work' vs machine. (correct me if I'm wrong guys, but that's what I think he said)

Mudhiker

Reaction score
That seems quite a lot of money for a blazer. Brooks Brothers has a rich history, and arguably they still provide good value in several categories of the clothing market... but for more than $500 I would think you would have several options for a properly tailored or customized blazer in a large city like Cleveland. Perhaps there are others on the board who will have more useful recommendations. I would just recommend caution. Brooks Brothers is a respected name, but there may be other less well known companies who can better meet your needs. Since you are looking at a considerable outlay, I would definitely shop around.

That said, carry a bag of salt for all the impending recommendations that you send off your measurements to some overseas MTM operation.

Also, is your body type particularly outside-the-average such that you require a customized blazer?

Bartolo

Reaction score
Why do you want a MTM blazer? Do the off-the-rack ones not fit you with reasonable alterations? Or are there certain fabrics/features you want customized?

As a 'student-going-on-corporate-warrior' yes you want a nice blazer, but if otr fits you, that's a better value for you.

david3558

Reaction score
I am a 40R and they generally fit relatively well, although the waist area always feels loose on most clothing I have... I'm 160 lbs and 6' 1". I'm on the slender side but would not consider myself skinny.

I don't know where else to look for an excellent blazer for less than 500-600 (what the MTM will come out too with Forex's discount).

david3558

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bartolo
Why do you want a MTM blazer? Do the off-the-rack ones not fit you with reasonable alterations? Or are there certain fabrics/features you want customized?

As a 'student-going-on-corporate-warrior' yes you want a nice blazer, but if otr fits you, that's a better value for you.

OTR would be fine but none of them are available with side vents. Only MTM & MTO allow me to pick side vents. I realize I might be being picky but I don't want to buy something I do not fully like! I would have to say that's one of the huge reasons why I'm looking into MTO/MTM.

David

Mudhiker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by david3558
OTR would be fine but none of them are available with side vents. Only MTM & MTO allow me to pick side vents. I realize I might be being picky but I don't want to buy something I do not fully like! I would have to say that's one of the huge reasons why I'm looking into MTO/MTM.

David

I totally understand the picky-ness. The little details like vents, buttons, and fabric texture are what make an item special. Do you have any reservations about what BB presents to you? Is there any need unmet? Any compromise? At this point economics are irrelevant. If you just need a random blue blazer you'd get an Anderson-Little and be done with it. But you want what you want. A blazer with very little compromise. I suppose the real question now is, does the BB MTO/MTM system truly satisfy. And with that, I ask, has anyone else used it? How is the customer service? How does it compare to other options? Will the OP be treated well and have his needs met if he commits to this endeavor?

david3558

Reaction score
Mudhiker,

I really appreciate the thought put into the comment! I also wanted to see what people thought about their work and if their MTM would be worth approx $550 (this is regardless of what "retail price" is).

David

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Mudhiker,

I really appreciate the thought put into the comment! I also wanted to see what people thought about their work and if their MTM would be worth approx $550 (this is regardless of what "retail price" is).

David

I'm about your size and have the same problem with most OTR jackets being too full. The price of the BB MTM is not really that expensive, in fact, it's cheap for a quality blazer that'll provide a good fit. For a blazer to look good, it needs to fit well. I'd get the BB MTM jacket.

Hans Cater

Reaction score
If that is the blazer that you want, then go get it. Nobody here can tell you better about what you like
or want than yourself.

But for $500 Oh Boy!!!!!

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Brooks Brothers "Regent" fit blazers all have side vents.

david3558

Reaction score
Bleachboy, do you know how the Regent fit compares to the Fitzgerald?

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a BB "Custom Tailored" Silk SC that I purchased from E-bay. This was one of the MTM models. I was really impressed with the quality of this SC. I don't know if BB still has this level of quality (this one was from the late '90s, IIRC), but if they do, you will be very happy with what you get for $500.

Oh, also, 6-1 and 160 is skinny, dude. LOL.

Mike

DStew

Reaction score
I like their blazers/sport coats at the price point of 250$. 500$ seems steep for them. JMHO

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads