• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brooks Brothers - Made to Measure Vs Off the Rack

mechanical13

Reaction score
Guys,

I'm planning to buy a BB suit later this week (taking advantage of BB's 30% off for corporate customers this Wednesday).

Going to B-school soon, and buying these suits specially for recruiting events with big-3 type consulting firms.

Need some guidance on whether it makes a big difference if I go with their off-the-rack suits or if I should go for MTM. Are the MTM suits significantly better than the OTR ones? Are they worth the extra $$? (does anyone know if you get the 30% off MTM as well during the sale on Wednesday?)

In the past, I've bought a few suits OTR from Mens Wearhouse. I'm 6", 150 lbs, and have a couple of 39L suits that seem to fit well.

Thanks!

JR

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not a bad for a half canvas suit with that discount. But you could do get a full canvas suit for near the same on the B&S.

Don't have experience with the MTM stuff, but I imagine it's decent. I think you can specify that you want double vents. The single vents on the 1818 OTR suits has been a deal breaker for me.

Last edited:

mechanical13

Reaction score
Thanks jrd, I appreciate it.

Regarding single vents and double vents -- which is the more traditional from a US workplace perspective? I have suits of both types, and haven't really given it much thought until now. I do feel the double vents are more convenient.

I gather that BB is considered more traditional/conservative, and they're a "can't go wrong" brand for careers in consulting/finance.

Is the single-vent the way to go ? It would be great if someone in consulting/banking could chime in.

JR

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Double vents are strongly preferred on this board. They look cleaner. Single vents can hang open

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sales and discounts do not apply to MTM or MTO, only RTW. I don't think I've ever heard anything positive about Brooks Brothers MTM, especially at that price level.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I wouldn't do BB MTM. You can do better for the amount they charge.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Double vents are strongly preferred on this board. They look cleaner. Single vents can hang open

That, and you can put your hands in your pockets without having your jacket ride up.

mechanical13

Reaction score
That, and you can put your hands in your pockets without having your jacket ride up.

Does BB have double vented jackets in their OTR collection? Are double vented jackets common among big three type consultants ..?

I have a few double vented jackets and feel they fit great. Since I'm investing in a jacket primarily for B-school, want to make sure it fits the need and that double vented are no taboo wear while interviewing.

mechanical13

Reaction score
I wouldn't do BB MTM. You can do better for the amount they charge.

Have never bought BB before, so I am going by what I've heard is acceptable in B-school circles.

Which other brand would you recommend? Want to buy something that I can use for a couple of years and not have to worry about.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

mechanical13

Reaction score
Yes. I believe many of the suits in the 346 line have double vents.

Aren't the 346 line supposed to be cheaper and of lower quality (non canvassed)? I've never seen a 346 suit...just going by what I've read online.

mechanical13

Reaction score
Yes. I believe many of the suits in the 346 line have double vents.

Aren't the 346 line supposed to be cheaper and of lower quality (non canvassed)? I've never seen a 346 suit...just going by what I've read online.

FLW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
346 is indeed cheaper. That is their discount line sold at outlet malls and the like. I would only advise a 346 suit if you had absolutely no other option in that price range.

Single vs. double vent is largely a matter of taste and both are considered appropriate for a work environment. Single vents are typically seen as more American and less fussy. Double vents usually convey more of a European feel and are considered to be more elegant.

Brooks Brothers does indeed offer double vents OTR, as many of their Regent and Milano models come double vented. Tread carefully with the Milano line, however, as the jackets are shorter and the styles are (often ill-advised) attempts at capturing a fashion trend. These are not the things you want to hear regarding a typical "business suit"

mechanical13

Reaction score
Thanks Guys! I now have a better idea of what I should be considering when I walk into the BB store later this week.

Last edited:

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads