1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Brooks Brothers luxury shirts shrinkage?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by NoVaguy, Feb 2, 2005.

1. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Distinguished Member

Do they shrink or not?

I bought 3 Brooks Brothers luxury shirt back during the sale (the slimmer fit is nice), and the salesman measured me and convinced me to get 16x35 - although i usually buy a 36 sleeve when i'm on my own. it basically comes to just about a millimeter or two past the wrist when my hands are down at my sides.

however, the material seems like it'll shrink with the first wash - and the shirt measurement is 35 inches. a 3% shrinkage will knock off about an inch and definitely make it too short. anybody have experience with this line? should i take it back for 36 inch sleeves?

2. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

I think it was Shirtmaven who mentioned this 'rule of thumb' for sleeve length, but when the shirt cuff is unbuttoned it should reach the crook of your hand between your thumb and index finger. I've found the shirts that satisfy me with their length do extend this far. Try that test with your new shirts and your old ones, see how they compare and which fit you prefer.

How do you launder your shirts? If you do them at home and drip dry you'll have less shrinkage than sending them off to the laundry.

3. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Distinguished Member

Is that rule of thumbs for shirts before or after they get washed (i.e., pre or post shrinkage)? In any event, the shirts I have don't quite make it that far when unbuttoned, so back they go.

I wash at home, usually on cold, and hang dry in the bathroom. I don't really like any of the laundry services I've tried, although I haven't tried that many.

4. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Distinguished Member

Sales people can't measure at all. I once had a salesguy measure me and convince me that I needed a 32 sleeve, even though a 32 sleeve hits just above where my watch is. I also saw a skinny guy get measured to a 17" neck the other day in BB.

5. retronotmetro

retronotmetro Distinguished Member

I got three of the non-iron BB luxury line shirts on sale. They seemed to be right where I wanted in sleeve length out of the package. I washed one and left two in the package in case I didn't like the first one. The one that I washed (warm water, low dry cycle) shrank a little (probably 1/4" off the sleeve). The other two will be going back. I'd rather get them long and have them shortened a bit.

6. JohnMS

JohnMS Senior Member

what size are they retro?

7. retronotmetro

retronotmetro Distinguished Member

Marked as a 15.5/33, but they seem smaller than that by some indeterminate amount.