• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brooks Brothers, Indochino, Black Lapel Shirt Comparisons

Should I return the Indochino shirts?

• What's wrong with the collar?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dude, it looks fine, keep it.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • M2M shirt should be perfect, return it.

• Looks terrible, return it.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

weswu

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Long time lurker, figured I'd do a quick post as I just got some Indochino and Black Lapel shirts to start phasing out my Brooks Brothers collection. This is mostly going to be a comparison of my observations regarding the Indochino and the Black Lapel shirts. First, a picture:

Brooks Brothers:
I've been wearing Brooks Brothers for a very long time. I figured they are good quality, readily available, sales go on all the time, and they make for an easy to build wardrobe. My problem is that I have semi-broad shoulders and a small waist for a 6 foot tall guy. Even with their extra slim fit shirts, the waist is never slim enough, but when I get the extra slim fits, the shoulders are too narrow. I would also not usually wear a 15.5, but the 15 neck is too tight for me.

These are great shirts, I have many of them (25 or so?), but given that I'm ready to spend a bit more than in the past, we should go M2M, right? Turns out that M2M is the same price as the Brooks Brothers egyptian cotton shirts on sale. Even better.

Indochino:
I have to admit - these shirts almost got returned right out of the box.
Fit:
The shirt fits pretty well, but you might be able to see a similar gap around the next as with the Brooks Brothers shirt. I had ordered 15.25, and the shirt comes in exactly at 15.5 inches around the neck. The fit around the shoulders and arms are quite good, hitting right where they should at both the shoulder and the end of the arm. The waist is not bad, but not as good as the Black Lapel. They tapered the seam around the sides, so if you have the shirt laid out in front of you, you can actually see the seams come in from the armpit, and back out around the waist. The Brooks Brothers is basically a box cut. This tapering of the side seams is a bit awkward to me,and you can see that there is extra fabric at the waist compared to the Black Lapel, but less so than the Brooks Brothers.
Seams:
I'll add pictures of this later, but I like the seams better on the Indochino than the Black Lapel. The seams on the Indochino seem to be more carefully done and the actual stitching is perfect.

Black Lapel:
This is definitely the best fitting shirt of the 3.
Fit:
The neck was ordered at 15.25 and is actually 15.25. I'm not sure what went wrong with the Indochino, and I've decided that the extra .25 inch is something I've lived with for years with BB, so it will be fine - I don't feel like paying for the return shipping. With the BL shirt though, everything fits exactly the way it should. All measurements are perfect, the shoulders, sleeves, neck are all what I had ordered. Here's the difference with the waist compared with the Indochino. From what I can tell, the BL starts out as a box cut without any waist taper. They then go in after the fact and add darts to the back. I hardly noticed they were there to be honest. In my opinion, this creates a much better waist line than the Indochino does. Since the darts have all the fabric preserved, it also allows me to let out some fabric if I ever gain some weight. All in all, the Black Lapel shirt works out better than the Indochino, and I think vastly better than the Brooks Brothers.
Seams:
I have to admit - I saw one place on the BL shirt where there was some errant stitching. The quality of the seams and the tightness of the stitching is quite similar to the BB and Indochino, but I'd give BB the top score, Indochino a close second, and BL a very close third. It's almost a 3 way tie if you really want to know.

Other notes:
  • Black Lapel and Indochino were ordered at the same time and with the exact same measurements. I did the orders with both for the sake of comparing the two.
  • Indochino is slightly less expensive. I think it's $240 for a 3 shirt package versus $100 per shirt. You can check their websites.
  • The french cuff indochino shirts won't fit my woven cufflinks through them. A regular Thomas Pink cufflink struggled to get through the cuff first time around. No issues with the BL.

That's it for now. I might add content to the reviews as I think of other things to say.
I am curious about what you guys think of the Indochino collar though. Let me know what you think through the survey. Thanks!!!

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All three shirts look too big, though anything that hasn't been washed a few times should fit better in the future.

The Black Lapel has the best-looking collar, because the larger size is more proportional.

weswu

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. Just as an FYI - The black lapel shirts allow you to order standard, tailored or slim fits. The slim would have minimal fabric/slack around the waist basically. These are tailored. Indochino does not have any options for slim/standard, and I already mentioned the BB was extra slim fit. The Black Lapel could have been a slim fit, and I'll take your comments into consideration and maybe to a test run on those.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads