• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brooks brothers golden fleece, made in italy

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a $400 gift card to BB, and I also have a 15% certificate. The Golden Fleece's are currently on sale for $798. I'm thinking about putting some money there. They have two Golden Fleece models. One is made in the USA, obviously by Martin Greenfield. The other model is made in Italy, and I'm not sure who makes those. (Nor were the sales people.) I think I heard A. Harris mention something about Isaia at some point. Is that correct? I'd like to know who manufacturs the Italian suits before purchasing.

shoefan

Reaction score
I'm not sure; at some point a few years ago, I'm pretty sure Isaia was making some suits and jackets for BB. Also, I have a BB sport coat in which the manufacturer's tag looks like Isaia's.

When I was at BB this past January, I checked out their suits; the made in Italy ones had two different price points (say $998 and $1198?), and they appeared to be from different makers; the higher-priced versions again seemed to have the Isaia makers tags, but again I'm not certain of this. They did appear to have a nice amount of hand-work, although I assume they have far less than the $2k+ Gianluca Isaia models.

I would suggest you check the manufacturer's tag inside the jacket chest pocket and compare it to an Isaia. The nomenclature and overall layout of the tags should be similar is they are made by the same company.

Certainly would like to get to the bottom of this mystery.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll check out the tags. I tried on the Italian suit, and I really liked the drape of the pants, and the jacket had beautiful waist suppression, Tasmanian Super 120s (struck me as a beautiful fabric -- soft, but not delicate; refined, but will hold up well in the long run), & was not fused of course. Seemed to fit very well all around, which is rare for a double vented coat on me. I'm pretty sure I'm going to pick up at least one, but not sure if I'll go with any more than that, since I have an appointment with W.W. Chan in three weeks and figure that I might be better off spending my own money (read: not the gift card&#33
wink.gif
with MTM. (But I'm very open to comments on this). I'm gonna call the NY Flagship store tomorow too and see if they know.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There were two different Italian makes - Isaia and Cantarelli. The ones with handmade butonholes are Isaia, the ones with machine-made buttonholes are Cantarelli. Both good suits though, better than the Greenfields.

I'm gonna call the NY Flagship store tomorow too and see if they know.

I doubt that would do you any good. It's very hard to get good info on current season merchandise, much less items that they have closed out.

If it fits well and is a good suit, why not just buy it??

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
although I assume they have far less than the $2k+ Gianluca Isaia models.

That would make sense, but comparing the Isaia/Brooks blazer I have to suits and jackets from the Gianluca Isaia line has shown the Brooks version to be superior in some instances, and inferior in none. (That's without taking it apart of course.) They were quite a deal at $1200 - the best on the market at the time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics