Brooks Brothers' Gatsby Collection

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mossrockss, Apr 15, 2013.

1. ww21943

ww21943 Well-Known Member

I was afraid they would sell out of items quick so I ordered as soon as the clock struck midnight on the 18th when the 20% off sale started.

2. mossrockss

mossrockss Senior member

I'd recommend not drying any of your dress shirts—I hang all my shirts to dry, and that's the generally accepted practice around here and the style blogs. Your shirts will last longer and you'll reduce any chance of shrinking. For a guy like me who isn't buying shirts more than $80 retail usually, it's especially a good idea not to dry any of them.

I'm totally jealous, by the way, I really want that club collar shirt. I bought the unlined-collar OCBD, however, so I've spent more than I should have already, haha.

3. musicmax

musicmax Senior member

I think my grandfather had a bow tie almost exactly like this.

Looks like both the bow and long versions are out-of-stock online at the moment. It's weird that when something is out-of-stock it just totally disappears from the website (I noticed this phenomenon with a Red Fleece dress that a SA is bringing in-store for my wife). Why not just say "call your SA" or "check back soon"?

4. Master Squirrel

Master Squirrel Senior member

Some items appear to be selling out.

5. ww21943

ww21943 Well-Known Member

I have a lot of non-iron shirt so those always go in the dryer. I've started keeping my all cotton shirts and sweaters out of the dryer, despite what the tag says.
    I wonder if they will restock sold out items as I think this collection is supposed to be limited.

6. 518aata

518aata Senior member

I just read the first of a four-part series on PTO on the Golden Era of Oxfords. http://putthison.com/post/47706678968/the-ocbd-shirt-series-part-ii-the-golden-era

The article includes a BB OCBD from 1949. Its features are strikingly similar to the Gatsby white OCBD -- no chest pocket, six buttons, and side-gussets. It looks like the original had a box pleat, rather than pleats/shirring on two sides, but I can't tell for sure from the picture.

In any event, it looks like Brooks may have dug into its archives and produced a slimmed-down version of its OCBD from sixty years ago, but priced it the same as its regular oxfords, rather than charging $150. . . .

7. Recoil

Recoil Senior member

^^ Excellent blog posting on OCBD.

8. Lafont

Lafont Senior member

Tuxedo looked good at first impression - partly due to its peaked lapels and particularly its grossgrain lapels. I never see those except in one of our vintage clothing places in Cleveland - Chelsy's. But with further study I find the jacket is too low a price to be really good quality, and now I hear it has patch pockets and a center vent - horrors! Well, maybe there's some authenticity here with 20's menswear - I'd have to have more information. But in regard with what I believe in today these are no-no's for such formal attire.

Last edited: May 2, 2013

9. musicmax

musicmax Senior member

BB or your own tailor should be able to sew up the vent and remove the patches.

10. Lafont

Lafont Senior member

11. mossrockss

mossrockss Senior member

Here is the OCBD with a tie.

It's my first wearing of this shirt.

[​IMG][​IMG]

12. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Look nice. I'll be interested to hear your thoughts at day's end. The one I tried on seemed very wrinkly, even by must-iron standards, but maybe that's because it was fresh from the bag.

I'll also be curious to hear how much it shrinks. The collar sizing is bizarre. I now require three different sizes in Brooks shirts -- my normal size in traditional fit, longer arm length in slim-fit and now a smaller collar size in this one. Wish Brooks would get its act together. I've ordered one of the Gatsby shirts, but I'm still leery, as the sleeves could end up too short and the collar too big.

13. mossrockss

mossrockss Senior member

So, in the store, this 16.5/35 was huge on my neck. The 16/34 fit me perfectly. But I knew that it'd shrink. I washed it in hot last night and it did a bit—I figure it'll be perfect in about 4-5 months after having worn it in a bit and washed it a bunch.

I found that my standard BB OCBDs looked really bad with a collar until I broke them in a bit—maybe it was my imagination, but it sure seemed that way. I imagine this will be the case with this shirt as well.

All that said, without a tie, this is bar none the best OCBD I own in terms of collar roll (the others being the normal one BB offers, though in extra slim fit). It looks like this, though from what I understand, this guy's had slightly longer collar points:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013

14. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

So you went with 16.5? That's interesting. My usual size was enormous on me and I've sized down. Based on your report, I may need to reconsider that. But there's no way I could wear a tie with my normal size, at least not without significant shrinkage first.

How's the wrinkling so far?

15. mossrockss

mossrockss Senior member

Yeah, 16.5—well you can see it's still a bit big on me. I sometimes wonder how much of these issues are mediocre QA on BB's part and how much are consistent sizing differences?
    I'm also guessing that the lack of lining in this shirt collar makes it fit slightly larger than their lined OCBDs. My year-old OCBDs are a little snug now—within the realm of wearable, but definitely slightly more snug than when new. So that's why I was confident enough to go with the 16.5 instead of the 16. Long-term shrinkage, etc.

The sleeves seem more wrinkly, but actually this one seems less wrinkly overall than my regular white OCBD—I avoided wearing that one for a while, because it was just so damn wrinkly. But I was unfairly comparing to my blue one, which can be worn almost without ironing and look great because it's more casual in appearance, just by virtue of it being blue.

All said, I never wear even my regular white OCBD on its own—it's always with a jacket. It just doesn't look good on me jacketless like my blue one does. So fit considerations and wrinkling considerations were less a consideration for me on this purchase.

I'm also considering this a sort of dry run for contemplating purchasing a Mercer or possibly even MTM BB (which I hear you can request no lining in the collar on an order of an OCBD).

[​IMG]

The full ensemble, if you're so inclined to see it: http://menswearmusings.tumblr.com/post/48933921284/ft-brooks-brothers-gatsby-ocbd-rugby-rl-and