1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Brooks Brothers' Gatsby Collection

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mossrockss, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Thin White Duke

Thin White Duke Senior member

I love boating blazers. I have four. I posted this pic on here a couple of years ago and got dogs abuse for it! Glad to see there are some people who like them. I prefer the 1960's mod look to the 1920s straw hat / barbershop quartet look!

[​IMG]

2. Southern Gent

Southern Gent Member

3. ww21943

ww21943 Well-Known Member

May I ask where you bought your tie?

4. mossrockss

mossrockss Senior member

J.Crew a few years ago. Before they slimmed their ties down to 2.5"

5. ww21943

ww21943 Well-Known Member

Ah. Okay. I went to Jcrew for the first time last month and I looked at their ties. They had some nice ones but all were way to thin. They are advertised as being produced in Long Island City so I assume it has to be at the Brooks Brothers factory.

6. EriQ009

EriQ009 Senior member

I had a chance to see the ivory linen suit in person at my local BB this week. Must admit, it is quite nice. The herringbone pattern on the linen is best appreciated up close and does not translate in the photos. It could make a worthy addition to the summer wardrobe.

7. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

Prices could be a little better...

1 person likes this.
  8. EriQ009

EriQ009 Senior member

Agreed. Somewhat surprising how well the collection seems to be selling, despite the pricing. The BB near me encountered a fair amount of difficulty in tracking down the jacket in my size. The film has yet to hit theaters!

9. MisterFu

MisterFu Senior member

The "real Gatsby" was very much a projection of Fitzgerald's own persona, exploring of the dichotomy of his own personality, weaknesses and evolution (Gatsby being the corrupted, isolated materialist of his later years versus Carraway, the young shell-shocked but impressionable writer of Fitzgerald's younger years).

Fitzgerald himself bought his clothes from places like BB and FR Triplier.

As for the Gatsby Collection - it's costume, but some of it is fetching. Keep in mind that in both the current movie and the (awful and miscast) 70's version, there is all sorts of contemporary bleed-through. The 70's version is full of vulgar 70's lapels, ridiculous shirt collars, wide ties and awful colors. The current version is no more period correct, but contemporary styles aren't the disaster that was 1974 fashion. Hopefully the movie isn't a train-wreck, but the trailers have me worried that this will be a jump-cut, music video disaster.

10. 518aata

518aata Senior member

I bought the Gatsby slim-fit OCBD in the same size as I wear in both slim-fit and XSF OCBDs. When I wore it the first time, pre-laundering, it was quite big, especially in the neck. I had it laundered and it now fits fine in both the neck and sleeves. I'm very pleased with the features and the fit. I hope they keep the shirt in the lineup and expand the colors beyond just white.

11. Stugotes

Stugotes Senior member

The trailers and featurettes look cheesy and way too unreal. All the "action" scenes like the car driving or the fireworks look like they're computer animated (which they probably are). Ah well, special effects technology seems to have gone down the drain since sometime in the late 90s. Makes the movie unwatchable for me, though I don't think I'll miss anything anyway, looking at the designer-ish costumes.

I guess I'll stick to the 1974 version. Ah, the lapels...

Last edited: May 6, 2013
  12. mossrockss

mossrockss Senior member

LOL. Nothing like drawing conclusions before something is even released.

13. mossrockss

mossrockss Senior member

Hear hear!

14. kirker

kirker Member

FYI, nearly the entire film is computer generated, considering it was entirely shot in Australia. I think only the smaller, less decadent interior are non-CG.

15. EriQ009

EriQ009 Senior member

CG or not, it's bound to be a better film than most of what Hollywood has been churning out lately.

Back to to the topic at hand, has anyone actually purchased the pink suit?

Last edited: May 6, 2013
  16. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

I had tried it, the pattern is nice but I don't like the lightweight 'Italian' fabric.

17. musicmax

musicmax Senior member

My experience too, except I machine washed and flat-dried it before wearing to shrink it and soften it up. I've worn it twice in a week-and-a-half. I agree that they have a winner with this model.

18. Stugotes

Stugotes Senior member

Barf, thanks for the extra warning.

19. phoenixrecon

phoenixrecon Senior member

its got a 42 on rotten tomatoes :evolve:

Last edited: May 7, 2013
  20. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    I'm a little confused with the fit of these special OCBD shirts with the unlined collar. Is it the same as the normal slim fit? I usually get an ESF in Brooks Brothers, but it sounds these have a different fit then the standard shirts? Was considering one while they are 25% off.