1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Brooks Brothers' Gatsby Collection

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mossrockss, Apr 15, 2013.

1. AdamWill

AdamWill Senior member

I hope they never do - I have very sloped shoulders, BB is one of the few off-the-rack lines I can buy which bulk up my shoulders to reasonable levels. Some of us need all that padding :)

2. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

Only the Fitz and Madison have full shoulders. The Milano has great natural shoulders.

3. otheme

otheme Well-Known Member

BB needs to lose the shoulder pads, and widen&round off the lapels. Big fat fail.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

Of all the offerings, i like the boating hat, I hope they are going to stock that in Hong Kong, so I don't need to buy it in UK and carry it back home.

Don't forget, these are the 'Gatsby' for normal man, real Gatsby probably employed a whole tailoring team to do make his clothes.

Overall, it does have the vibe. I do like it.

5. Locke42

Locke42 Active Member

Aarrgghh, NOW they offer a peak lapel Fitzgerald tuxedo? Where was it when I needed a tux two months ago? :p

About the tux, the flap pockets and center vent shouldn't bother you guys too much. The in-house tailor at BB removed both for free for me when I bought their Madison tux.

6. mossrockss

mossrockss Senior member

So, checked out the collection at the store tonight and GET THIS:

The gatsby collection white OCBD had an unlined collar and collar band, 6-button front and no box pleat (it has "side pleats," after a fashion—instead of a straight pleat on each side, they've got 7 mini pleats, a la their sleeve cuff shirring).

I bought one with the make a wish discount. Figure if I only buy one white OCBD this would make a good candidate.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  7. SoGent

SoGent Senior member

did you happen to check their linen out ?

8. mossrockss

mossrockss Senior member

Which linen are you referring to?

9. SoGent

SoGent Senior member

i had been looking at the Light Brown Linen Trousers i've been bombarded with email about.
    haven't had a chance to check them in person yet.

10. comrade

comrade Senior member

Back in the day people like you shopped elsewhere, or wore Brooks Custom.
    Yes, they used to have full-bespoke.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  11. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I was in the San Francisco BB today and one of the SA's, Charles Flewellen, tried on the blazer. I thought it looked great. The perfect jacket for a party or garden reception.

[​IMG]

12. punchdrunkwelle

punchdrunkwelle Active Member

Yes, I agree with the ivory suit looks really classic as well as the 3-piece suit.

13. mossrockss

mossrockss Senior member

[​IMG]

My normal collar size was a bit big—but I know it will shrink. This is one collar size down. You can see the extra distance between the top two buttons (since it has a 6-button front) and also it's somewhat evident that the collar is unlined.

14. mossrockss

mossrockss Senior member

That dude looks great—I'm afraid I'd look like a barbershop quartet guy who's lost his companions if I wore that thing.

15. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

"The Great Gatsby Collection: For over-the-hill squares, who want that DiCaprio look."

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  16. mossrockss

mossrockss Senior member

That's a cynical point of view.

17. 518aata

518aata Senior member

I was in the Atlanta store today, getting some BBBF items fitted, when I saw the Gatsby display. I was surprised that they had the entire collection, front and center. I immediately spied the collar on the OCBD, and to my eye, it's the same as my vintage BB six-button shirts. I had not seen this thread, so it was a complete and wonderful surprise.

Although I had no business buying (yet) another white shirt, I had to get one, if only as a vote of confidence in favor of the unlined collar. I didn't have a chance to try it on before buying it, but if it really is a slim fit, with that collar, I'll lead the parade down Madison Ave!

EDIT: When I get a chance, I'll compare the collar point length with my old BB shirts and report back.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  18. mossrockss

mossrockss Senior member

Yes please do! I personally have no experience with those old skool OCBDs, so I don't mind the new ones. But I do love longer collars almost every time, so if love to see both a measurement comparison as well as a pic holding the two against each other, lining up the collar bands and seeing the difference

19. 518aata

518aata Senior member

I measured the collar points. They're 3.25", which is the same as on my 25+ year old OCBDs, and the same as current Brooks shirts. The chest on my 15.5 x 32 is about an inch trimmer than the slim fit (21" vs 22"), but not quite as trim as my extra slim fit shirts. I haven't measured the length of the body, but it seems longer than either the SF or the ESF, which I welcome, given my longer torso.

All in all, I'm very pleased with the shirt, especially given that it's the same price ($79.50) as Brooks' regular OCBD. Bravo!

1 person likes this.
  20. ww21943

ww21943 Well-Known Member

Hello,
    This is my first post! I bought the club collar shirt from the Gatsby Collection and I am in love with it! I am a little worried the sleeves are going to shrink after the first wash. I may keep it out of the dryer.
    It seems well constructed and the fabric is thick and sturdy.
    I purchased the lattice tie which immediately reminded me of something out of the movie Chinatown. I also purchased a bow tie, my first one ever!

[​IMG][/IMG]