1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Brooks Brothers' Gatsby Collection

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mossrockss, Apr 15, 2013.

1. mossrockss

mossrockss Senior member

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/on/de...others-Site/default/GGSearch-Show?cgid=gatsby

First thing I noticed was the slim fit white OCBD sans pocket, for the same price as their regular OCBD. http://www.brooksbrothers.com/The-Great-Gatsby-Collection-Supima[​IMG]-Cotton-Slim-Fit-Button-Down-Oxford-Solid-Dress-Shirt/ME01191,default,pd.html?dwvar_ME01191_Color=WHIT&contentpos=19&cgid=gatsby

A tiny part of me was hoping they'd use this opportunity to launch a premium "heritage" OCBD—you know, like one that Vox and others yearn for, unlined collars, ultimate roll, all that…

discuss

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
  2. dreamspace

dreamspace Senior member

Love the ivory linen jacket/suit with peak lapels, tuxedo and some of the shirts.

Looks more like a Ralph Lauren collection than Brooks.

1 person likes this.
  3. konda

konda Senior member

Oh god what ripoff prices on so many articles.

4. AdamWill

AdamWill Senior member

Center vents a-gogo, including on the tux, kinda disappointing. Some nice bits and pieces, though.

5. mossrockss

mossrockss Senior member

well, center vents have been traditionally used on American garments as the default, if I'm not mistaken. Kinda makes sense. And I've come to the point where I don't just hate them by default, if the jacket is cut to fit well (i.e. no gaping). I still prefer double vents, however, so I hear ya.

6. unclesam099

unclesam099 Senior member

3-roll-2 SB peak lapel jacket?

Some things look nice but are quite expensive... Made in USA, though.

7. kvado16

kvado16 Member

That's so awesome! The Gatsby style/ Robert Redford style is one of my favorites.

8. johnvw

johnvw Senior member

Pocket flaps, too. :eek:

9. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

Love the ivory linen suit. Not that outrageous of prices. Their normal price for a suit is $998.

The tuxedo would be awesome if not for the vent and the patch pockets.

10. tjcam

tjcam Active Member

I had the same thoughts after seeing the tuxedo online, but I had my 40% off one item coupon (which expires on the 17th) and have been planning to get a tuxedo in the near future, so I stopped by the store to check it out. After talking with the tailor, I am having the center vent closed as part of the alterations and the pockets are trimmed on both sides, so you can have the double-besomed style if you tuck in the flap...not optimal I know, but the flap could probably be removed as well. So for the 40% off price and the fact that it is made here in the USA, I pulled the trigger. I have the pants on hold until the 18th when the 20% savings starts.

2 people like this.
  11. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

The collection is superb. Probably the only great thing to come from the fact that they are making a movie.

Flap pockets are a bit eh, but the overall feeling I get from everything is definitely good. Will have to entertain the thought of using the 40% off coupon. Just a shame that nothing is in a 36R... I'm not too privy with getting a 38R, always seem too big even with the Fitzgerald cut.

12. victoremque

victoremque Member

"It makes me sad because I've never seen such--such beautiful shirts before."

1 person likes this.
  13. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I dislike peak lapel on linen. Linen is relaxed. Peak lapel is for a more dressy formal look IMO.

I would never know where to wear it but I do like the stripped blazer. It looks authentic UK, like the corner of Harrod's in the 80's...

14. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Airbrushing has gone too far. That model doesn't even look like he has real skin. It looks plastic.

15. comrade

comrade Senior member

A "heritage OCBD"? Don't hold you breath. The buttondown shown should better be labeled a "heresy OCBD"
    Points a bit short. No collar roll, etc.

As for the clothing, don't get me started on the square shoulders on every jacket. Check out Scott Fitzgerald. He's acually wearing a "heritage OCBD"
    and a jacket with natural shoulders;

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q...E9D397972BA70E240D6757B4A4AC&selectedIndex=11

The collection is awful. It's a cartoonish version of the1920s The 1974 version with Robert Redford featured clothing
    by Ralph Lauren and looked more authentic. To me it's just another stage in Brooks Brothers downward spiral. I know
    the menswear market is not what it was 30 or 40 years ago, but Brooks, compared to the upstart Ralph Lauren and
    on a more limited scale, Paul Stuart two highly successful purveyors of (updated) the Ivy League Style, Brooks has blown
    it at every turn. Anyone remember "Brooks English" their failed brand from the '90s?

16. mossrockss

mossrockss Senior member

Haha, a long shot, I know. I figure if some marketing person at BB wanted to get the SF/Internet style market (which is probably tiny, haha), they'd make an OCBD to specifications from 1955 (maybe slim it down to slim fit/extra slim fit specifications), and charge $150 for it. I'd probably buy one…

As for the "cartoonish" aspect of it, I think that's perhaps what they were going for. I was reading the "about" page on the BB website for this collection, and it looks like the director and costume designer specifically aimed to make them a bit costumey. As they put it: "The archival images were just a jumping off point. In order to create costumes that would match Baz Luhrmann's bold 3D reinterpretation of the book, Martin had to create costumes that were strikingly theatrical, and at the same time rooted in history."
    In other words, these aren't meant to be 100% accurate and authentic.

As for natural shoulders, I agree—I wish Brooks would back off from their full padding.

17. Grenadier

Grenadier Senior member

A couple items, such as the club collar oxford shirt, interest me. The pink linen suit, however, does not.

18. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

A little underwhelming...could have been a lot better. The collection seems very disjointed with no items really going very well together. The boating blazer and cream trousers is probably the best look. But you don't need to have Gatsby style to rock that, rather the answer to the question "which rowing club is that then?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  19. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

Been there for the last couple months. Pretty cool to see them stretch so far.

I think I agree in the part that the Gatsby is a bit 'costumey', but the pieces are great for summer parties, that's about it honestly. A little bit of a pretenders look to everything, but then again, that's very 'Gatsby' of the line to be so..

I still think its all amazing, but maybe that's more of me having always been infatuated with the story behind it all...