1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Brooks Brothers Fall Looks 2010

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by NewYorkIslander, Aug 13, 2010.

1. comrade

comrade Senior member

So far the comments have been positive.
    For those of us who remember the old BB,
    this collection is yet another indication of the continued
    decline of a once iconic brand. To me, it looks a cut or two
    above Jos. A. Bank.

2. bananananana

bananananana Senior member

above Jos. A. Bank.

How so? You mean the quality? Seems like BB is trying to be more modern while JAB has been stuck in its boxy suits and baggy slacks.

3. a-rock

a-rock Senior member

above Jos. A. Bank.

In terms of...? Styling? Quality?

I've never really spent much time in either but even with just quick glances I've always considered the two worlds apart. BB has always had a particular style and branding associated with it. And while the style, fits, and fabrics may not always be my thing, I've always respected the brand for the most part.

JAB, there is no style or image - other than that of bad American businesswear. I think of it the same way as MW or the old C&R, or maybe low-end brands like Arrow or Van Heusen you might find at Mervyns, Kohls, JCP, etc.

4. MrKaizen

MrKaizen Well-Known Member

above Jos. A. Bank.

Sadly I have to agree. I have always loved BB and bought some products in the last month but their epic style is lowering and this since the brand was purchased by Del Vecchio.
    This reminds me another epic and iconic brand like Burberry when as main style designer was hired an italian.

5. comrade

comrade Senior member

Brooks brothers was the epitome and one of the origins of the classical "Ivy"
    traditional American Style. It was a very high quality and relatively more
    expensive vendor which, for a time, even offered bespoke. In one of his
    posts earlier this year Voxsartoria shows the BB windows from the main
    store in New York in the early sixties. Contemporary equivalents might be:

The Andover Shop

http://www.theandovershop.com/

O'Connells

http://shop.oconnellsclothing.com/

Paul Stuart - the more conservative models
    http://www.paulstuart.com/

Winston Tailors - for MTM and bespoke interpretations of the style

http://asuitablewardrobe.dynend.com/...blishment.html

6. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

So what's the objection, other than the old gray mare ain't what she used to be?

This collection, IMO, looks way better than the ones of a few years ago, both in terms of the clothes and their presentation.

7. Dressed2the9s

Dressed2the9s Senior member

How so? You mean the quality? Seems like BB is trying to be more modern while JAB has been stuck in its boxy suits and baggy slacks.

I agree. If you want to find a "classic" box look, that hides the natural shape of your torso, look no further than Jos A Bank. I like the modern look of BB. If one doesn't evolve, one becomes extinct. Way to go BB.

Plus, its canvassed and in a navy pinstripe. What's not to like?[​IMG]

8. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I'm pleased with the direction BB has taken over the past few years. I stopped shopping there for a few years because of their selection and the way their clothes fit, but their recent offerings brought me back.

9. JG000

JG000 Senior member

I like the burgungy gingham shirt A LOT.

10. comrade

comrade Senior member

I agree. If you want to find a "classic" box look, that hides the natural shape of your torso, look no further than Jos A Bank. I like the modern look of BB. If one doesn't evolve, one becomes extinct. Way to go BB.

Plus, its canvassed and in a navy pinstripe. What's not to like?[​IMG]

BB may be "more modern" than it's classical era but it's definitely downmarket.
    The comparison I made with JAB had nothing much to do with JAB style, which I'd
    characterize as generic. It had to do with quality and selection. Take pajamas, for
    example. Not usually a style item. For over 20 years I purchased BB's oxford cloth pajamas.
    About five years ago the oxford cloth pajamas were replaced by "no-iron" "oxford cloth"
    pajamas made in China. The pair I bought have essentially distinegrated while the earlier
    version, some pairs of which are over ten years old are still serviceable.

11. The Thin Man

The Thin Man Senior member

About five years ago the oxford cloth pajamas were replaced by "no-iron" "oxford cloth"
    pajamas made in China.

Vanishingly few stores aren't selling more crappy made-in-China stuff than they were a few years ago. Of those that do, how many still sell as many well made clothes as Brooks; maintain brick-and-mortar locations across the country; carry shoes of the quality of Alden?

There is no doubt that Brooks is sadly reduced from its past. I still maintain that 98 percent of American men who work in offices would be better dressed if they wore more Brooks, not less.

12. Salad

Salad Senior member

Why can't the gingham shirts come in Slim fit? They're only reg or xtra-slim on the site. The model seems to wear it well but it's probably pinned for the pic.

13. butterflystyle

butterflystyle Senior member

Any ideas where I might find pants that come in the green and red shades that the milano do, not in the milano cut?

14. hatguy

hatguy Senior member

i have a few of the extra slim fit gingham shirts and they are some of the best fitting otr shirts i have. look great too.

15. rlx

rlx Senior member

Any ideas where I might find pants that come in the green and red shades that the milano do, not in the milano cut?

Check out the BB Vintage Chinos in the Clark fit. They are cut slim, but not as slim as Milano.