• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brooks brothers extra slim still huge, need help

VeniAFT

Reaction score
I need help! I like slim fit shirts, but have a 10 inch drop. I need a 16 inch neck. I ordered 3 brooks brothers extra slim fit shirts and had to get them takin in and darted; a lot. I like the look of button down oxfords (have tried wings and horne and band of outsiders) and have yet to find a truly slim fit shirt. Maybe its me! Does anyone have any suggestions?

VeniAFT

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kiwi Man
Is it healthy to be that skinny?
Im not skinny, i lift weights..... You dont have a 10 inch drop if you are skinny

Aaron01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VeniAFT
Please read above prio to post - i had it darted and taken in

OTR there's not going to be much, just find shirts that you like that fit in the collar and shoulders and have the waist taken in. That's about all there is to do unless you want to go MTM/bespoke

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I imagine that a shirt with an actual ten inch drop would look ridiculous.

VeniAFT

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy
I imagine that a shirt with an actual ten inch drop would look ridiculous.

While i would agree, i have noticed a lot of people complain, on this forum, that slim fit shirts are not that slim.

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The extra slims are only 1 inch slimmer in the waist than the corresponding slim fit, while they are something like 3-4 inches slimmer in the chest. If you have a large drop, it is not the right cut. My guess is that you sized up to make it fit in the shoulders/chest at the expense of a baggier waist. You'd have better luck buying a slim fit the size down. That is, unless your neck demands the size you're currently taking, in which case you should go MTM or just deal with a slightly baggy shirt. FWIW I prefer a slightly looser fitting shirt than the forum norm, it doesn't bother me as long as my pants and jacket are well tailored. What many people call "slim" I consider "tight," which results in an uncomfortable, comically skin-hugging garment.

negusnegas

Reaction score
I think part of the problem is the box pleat.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by polar-lemon
The extra slims are only 1 inch slimmer in the waist than the corresponding slim fit, while they are something like 3-4 inches slimmer in the chest. If you have a large drop, it is not the right cut. My guess is that you sized up to make it fit in the shoulders/chest at the expense of a baggier waist. You'd have better luck buying a slim fit the size down. That is, unless your neck demands the size you're currently taking, in which case you should go MTM or just deal with a slightly baggy shirt. FWIW I prefer a slightly looser fitting shirt than the forum norm, it doesn't bother me as long as my pants and jacket are well tailored. What many people call "slim" I consider "tight," which results in an uncomfortable, comically skin-hugging garment.

This.

BB XSF shirts are not cut for a truly athletic physique. They are cut for a "skinny-fat" body, in which the shoulders and upper torso are slender and, if anything, maybe even smaller than the waist.

I have my XSF shirts taken in at the waist and feel your pain on this. And I'm not even all that built; I am just a skinny guy with wide shoulders.

jsqfunk

Reaction score
have you checked out a mtm shirt maker that takes both chest and waist measurements in their calculations?

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While i would agree, i have noticed a lot of people complain, on this forum, that slim fit shirts are not that slim.

Most slim fit shirts are aimed at ecto body types. If you've got a 10 inch drop odds are you're closer to a meso.

Most of the people here when they say slim they mean closer to the body. You need to look for stuff aimed at athletic not slim bodies.

In North America odds are you're better off with MTM.

Made in California

Reaction score
Please read above prior to posting - i had it taken in and darted
So, did you solve the problem? Are the shirts still too baggy?
Originally Posted by negusnegas
I think part of the problem is the box pleat.
Yeah, definitely. I just brought in a shirt to get altered and was told if it had had a box pleat the alterations wouldn't be possible.

cardguy

Reaction score
Go MTM. A place like ModernTailor won't cost you any more than a BB shirt most of the time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads