1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Brooks Brothers Extra Slim Fit Shirts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by tonio028, Sep 22, 2009.

1. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

how slim is ESF? the sizing chart is scaring me but my gut is telling me to stick with small across the board...

2. zightx

zightx Member

I'm getting really tired of Brooks Brothers shirts now.

First I ordered 14.5x32, they were too tight over the chest. Then I ordered 15x33 and they fit great. After one wash it has already shrunk and now it's to small. Thinking about contacing BB about this, any chance you could get some money back?

I'm dumping the extra slim and going with the slim fit from now on...

3. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

they accept returns...

4. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

they accept returns...

Yep, pretty much an unconditional guarantee.

I bought 6 slim fit shirts in the beginning of the year to wear for work. I wore them all several times and I realized that they weren't as nice as some other shirts I purchased. Was able to return them with no questions asked (except, "were there anything wrong with them?", my answer "no") in store for a full refund. ~$400 back to kop new stuff! [​IMG]

5. notwithit

notwithit Senior member

how slim is ESF? the sizing chart is scaring me but my gut is telling me to stick with small across the board...

I would say not slim, at least in the case of the sport shirts. I picked up a few shirts - an OCBD, a chambray, and a couple of flannels - and I'm probably going to get all of them tapered and darted, and I'm going to get the flannels shortened so I don't have to tuck them in.

For reference, I have a 15" neck, 40" chest, 30" waist, 35" sleeve, and I got all mediums.

I tried on a dress shirt in neck size 15, though, and it was a little too tight in the chest, so those may be sized differently than the sport shirts.

6. Hot Dog Day #49

Hot Dog Day #49 Senior member

I would say not slim, at least in the case of the sport shirts. I picked up a few shirts - an OCBD, a chambray, and a couple of flannels - and I'm probably going to get all of them tapered and darted, and I'm going to get the flannels shortened so I don't have to tuck them in. For reference, I have a 15" neck, 40" chest, 30" waist, 35" sleeve, and I got all mediums. I tried on a dress shirt in neck size 15, though, and it was a little too tight in the chest, so those may be sized differently than the sport shirts.
    I think they're pretty damn slim dawg. I got a couple flannels and I'm XS in most brands, but the S fit me really well, better than XS in most brands. Should be pretty slim on you if it's a medium, because I'm a 36" chest and S fits good.

7. zightx

zightx Member

Maybe I should try to returning them then. Only problem is that I live outside US and the shipping cost pretty much.

But right now I got 5 shirts that doesn't fit right.

8. notwithit

notwithit Senior member

I think they're pretty damn slim dawg. I got a couple flannels and I'm XS in most brands, but the S fit me really well, better than XS in most brands. Should be pretty slim on you if it's a medium, because I'm a 36" chest and S fits good.

Chest, neck, and sleeves are fine. They're just not very tapered, and they don't come darted. I'd include both of those in my definition of "extra slim", but hey, that's what tailors are for, right? [​IMG]

9. Hot Dog Day #49

Hot Dog Day #49 Senior member

Yeah but the tailors around philly are kind of awful. who do you go to?

10. notwithit

notwithit Senior member

I've been going to J Brite Cleaners for shirts, but I don't think I'd take a suit there. I might give Eugene's (http://www.eugenestailorshop.com/) a shot and see if they're any better (although I assume they'd cost a bit more).

11. meso

meso Senior member

I would say not slim, at least in the case of the sport shirts. I picked up a few shirts - an OCBD, a chambray, and a couple of flannels - and I'm probably going to get all of them tapered and darted, and I'm going to get the flannels shortened so I don't have to tuck them in.

It depends on your build. Best if you have average dimensions.

I take a L, but the sleeves are maybe 1" too short for using with most of my blazers (I'm a little north of 6'2 and prefer the ends of my shirts to stick out maybe 1/2" from the end of cuff).

16.5 x 35 fits fantastic.

The dress shirts are definitely long and meant to be tucked.

12. whan7806

whan7806 Member

I'm thinking about grabbing a few sports shirts but being outside of the US, I cant get a hold of the exact sizing without trial and error purchasing.

Currently, I'm split between the 14.5 ESF and 14.5 SF: can anyone hook me up with the size differences between the two fits (chest/p2p in particular)? Measurements post-wash (shrinkage) for the neck and chest would be terrific as well.

For reference, my chest size is between 36.5"-37", my regular neck size is a 14.5 and height is 5'7". If anyone of a similar build/size can comment on what sizes/fits work for you, that'd be a great help too.

13. ahe

ahe Senior member

I'm 5'8", 140lbs, I usually wear 15-33. In terms of sports shirts, small fits excellent, the sleeves are probably .5" too long.

14. notwithit

notwithit Senior member

It depends on your build. Best if you have average dimensions.

Yeah, I'd say that my dimensions aren't really average.

Also, I wore one of the flannels today, and I noticed that the stitching came undone on the back of the right shoulder. This is the second time I've worn it, and it's not like I was splitting firewood when I wore it the first time. [​IMG]

I'm hoping BB's customer service will make it right. They already offered an exchange, but I want free return shipping and a refund to my credit card, consarnit all. For all I know, the next flannel they'd send me would fall apart, too.

15. TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES Senior member

how do they compare with LEC Poplins? Do the Extra Slim shirts make them seems blousey?

16. notwithit

notwithit Senior member

Also, I wore one of the flannels today, and I noticed that the stitching came undone on the back of the right shoulder. This is the second time I've worn it, and it's not like I was splitting firewood when I wore it the first time. [​IMG]

I'm hoping BB's customer service will make it right. They already offered an exchange, but I want free return shipping and a refund to my credit card, consarnit all. For all I know, the next flannel they'd send me would fall apart, too.

As an update, Brooks Brothers customer service officially rocks. They sent me a shipping label and asked me to include a note with my return so they'd know to refund my credit card.

I think I'm going to return all three flannels, since I don't think I trust the other two to perform any better than the one that's already falling apart. It's a shame, since I like the patterns and the feel of the fabric.

I'm also not thrilled by the not-that-slim fit, but I can get shirts tapered, darted, and hemmed for $18 per shirt (tops), so it's not a deal-breaker if they don't fit perfectly off the rack.

17. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

^ i guess their return mail service is better than their SA in-store...

weird, i returned in-store and got about $37 back when i paid like $43. is that normal? never experienced that before.

18. Meis

Meis Senior member

As an update, Brooks Brothers customer service officially rocks. They sent me a shipping label and asked me to include a note with my return so they'd know to refund my credit card. I think I'm going to return all three flannels, since I don't think I trust the other two to perform any better than the one that's already falling apart. It's a shame, since I like the patterns and the feel of the fabric. I'm also not thrilled by the not-that-slim fit, but I can get shirts tapered, darted, and hemmed for $18 per shirt (tops), so it's not a deal-breaker if they don't fit perfectly off the rack.
    Yeah this has been my experience. Well, on the phone at least... they never respond to my emails this winter I did one of the 3 shirt deals. Got the first two and they didn't fit so I returned them to a store near me. Called and asked to cancel the 3rd and was told it was too late (it hadn't shipped, but they had already processed it) and that I'd just have to return it once it got to me. Forgot all about the last shirt until a month later when I was looking at my bank statement and realized I had never gotten it. Checked my emails and found the shipping email for the shirt, and tracking said it had been delivered. Called customer service, told them that while the tracking said it had been delivered I had never actually received it. Even though it was weeks after the shirt had supposedly been delivered and I had no actual evidence that the shirt hadn't been delivered they refunded me both for the shirt and the shipping $$. Also - recently gave the ESF a second try. The 14.5-32 I had bought previously was too tight in the chest and neck, got a 15-32 off of B&S and it fit much better. Chest and neck fit perfectly, armholes are high, sleeves are slim- not quite as slim as my BoO shirts but still pretty slim. Only work it'll need is some tapering/darts to fix the blousiness at the bottom.

19. tombking

tombking Member

I recently bought an BB Extra Slim Fit shirt (14.5 and 32). The fit is great. The only problem is extra fabric in the back (about an inch).

I'm 5'5 140lb, lean body.

20. smah

smah Member

you must be xxslim if you can't fit a BB0