• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brooks Brothers detachable collar wedding

ezx3000

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm getting married soon and will be wearing a midnight blue peak lapel tuxedo with a black bow tie and cummerbund. I originally wanted a pique tux shirt with a turndown collar but am having trouble finding in the $150-200 range that fits well (full cut). I found this Brooks Golden Fleece pique shirt with a detachable wing tip collar, is there anywhere where I can find a pique detachable collar... or is a wing collar with a pique shirt ok?

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Golden-Fleece
00ae.png
-Tuxedo-Shirt-With-Detachable-Collar/498E,default,pd.html?dwvar_498E_Color=WHIT&contentpos=1&cgid=

PS: If anyone knows of nice patent plain toe tux shoes around $150 it would be helpful. Thanks!

Last edited:

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own that shirt and find it to be excellent. That is also the Proper collar for that shirt/ensemble.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Something just looks.....wrong with that shirt. I cant figure out what it is. I feel that even if you were wearing a cumberbund with it, the bottom non-stud button would be exposed which is a no no in my book.

The golden fleece, while expensive, is the best was to go.

As for the shoe, I am of the mindset that rather than spending $150 on patent shoes you will use a handful or times, but a high quality cap toe black dress shoe and polish them extremely well. I have done that for years and I have never been disappointed or felt out of place with others in black tie attire.

Just my .02

Merry Christmas and Congratulations on the wedding!

ezx3000

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I ordered the Golden Fleece shirt, I like the look of a wing collar especially with the pique, my only reservation was that from my understanding a wing collar is better suited for white tie.

As for the shoes, would velvet slippers go with the ensemble?... Are they not suited for dancing?

Merry Christmas, thank you Marc!

brokencycle

Reaction score
You can always get a detachable turndown collar.

Also, I would say velvet slippers have no business with a tuxedo, but it isn't my wedding: wear what you want.

ezx3000

Reaction score
Can you suggest a place to get a detachable collar? Would It have to match the pique shirt?

JOLG

Reaction score
According to my knowledge, a wing collar shirt should not have french cuffs.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If that shirt is the exact one that i have, it has french cuffs that are not turn back. So it is a single cuff with a hole for the stud. That is the proper sleeve for the collar.

I believe that wing collar shirts should not be work with double french cuffs(the ones you turn back before you put a stud in.

As for the velvet slippers, they are more casual and meant to be worn around the house in my opinion. I never wear mine out, just when I have people over and i wear a smoking jacket or whatever. They are more of an affectation than anything.

Benjamin E.

Reaction score
The shirt (which ticks all the traditional boxes, single cuffs, 2 stud holes, etc.) comes with a small wing collar, but it's broadcloth. I can't think of a single maker that makes a pique wing collar, even on attached collar shirts. Even eBay auctions only yield plain collars. You may call around to English shirtmakers and inquire as to their thoughts on which fabric the collar should be. I vaguely recall Alexander Kabbaz saying "good luck" to someone looking for a pique wing collar.

brokencycle

Reaction score
I have the BB Golden Fleece shirt that you're describing, and I bought a tall wing collar from here: http://www.darcyclothing.com/shop/collars.html

It used to be called the Vintage Shirt Company. Worked out great. Remember to order one size up. IE my shirt and neck are a 15.5 but you buy a 16 collar.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads