Brooks Brothers christmas sale

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by forex, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Steven Aver

Steven Aver Senior member

were the paddock boots and the perforated boots are the same? Of course except the perforation. What do you think the C&J last number(s) of these boots are?

Yes they are the same. I personally did not like them as they looked narrow in the toe.

2. laufer

laufer Senior member

Gentlemen

Anybody has Golden Fleece suit in grey color is really grey or charcoal? I need another suit I would like charcoal but it looks like GF is only available in grey or navy and stripes too.

3. YoungFogey

YoungFogey Senior member

Since nobody else seems to want to play the patent leather game, I'll just carry on. Someone else here once suggested that Church's made the patents. And it is true that the "120 D" sizing is a Church's practice that I haven't seen elsewhere. The illegible writing is also Church's-like. So, survey says?
    Its been ages since I bought a pair of Church's, but the coding on the outer sole is exactly like my old pair. Similarly, the markings and along the (non-channeled) sole seam are like Church's. (i'm trying to post pictures, but I'm new to the uploading thing.) Update: The interior markings are the same as well. size-width-last. Next line: letter followed by ten digits. Next line: seven digits. Last line in Church's is 4 letters (I think -- v worn away), but on Peals is 4 digits.

4. literasyme

literasyme Senior member

Since nobody else seems to want to play the patent leather game, I'll just carry on. Someone else here once suggested that Church's made the patents. And it is true that the "120 D" sizing is a Church's practice that I haven't seen elsewhere. The illegible writing is also Church's-like. So, survey says?

Interesting. My first reaction when I saw the photos was "Church's" as well. The nail pattern would fit, too.

5. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I saw both the Paddock boot and the Perforated boot, and the ones I saw were not the same. The Paddock boot is plain captoe with a double leather sole.

The Perforated boot has a perforated cap with broguing on the toe and a rubber sole. Both are nice; however, the Paddock seems to be a bit more dressy because of its simplicity of the cap and its leather sole.

I prefer the Paddock, and fortunately for me, it was the Paddock boot in dark brown that was on hold for me. I've attached pics however, the pics were taken with my Bberry camera in my dim hotel room so the pic quality is poor.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. mg428

mg428 Senior member

I saw both the Paddock boot and the Perforated boot, and the ones I saw were not the same. The Paddock boot is plain captoe with a double leather sole. The Perforated boot has a perforated cap with broguing on the toe and a rubber sole. Both are nice; however, the Paddock seems to be a bit more dressy because of its simplicity of the cap and its leather sole. I prefer the Paddock, and fortunately for me, it was the Paddock boot in dark brown that was on hold for me. I've attached pics however, the pics were taken with my Bberry camera in my dim hotel room so the pic quality is poor.
    JayJay: I will appreciate if you can answer the below questions: 1) Apart from the pattern and sole difference, were the lasts, the scotch grain texture and the shade of the color the same? 2) Do the perforated boots also have storm welt? 3) Considering double leather sole vs. rubber sole, which boots' sole was sleeker and less bulkier? Thanks!

7. Steven Aver

I saw both the Paddock boot and the Perforated boot, and the ones I saw were not the same. The Paddock boot is plain captoe with a double leather sole.

The Perforated boot has a perforated cap with broguing on the toe and a rubber sole. Both are nice; however, the Paddock seems to be a bit more dressy because of its simplicity of the cap and its leather sole.

I prefer the Paddock, and fortunately for me, it was the Paddock boot in dark brown that was on hold for me. I've attached pics however, the pics were taken with my Bberry camera in my dim hotel room so the pic quality is poor.

When I meant the same I was implying they were on the same last. What you have stated was already obvious from the written description.

8. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I don't know nuttin. But someone who owns them said (in this thread?) that it wasn't. I was just passing on the unsourced information in good SF tradition.
    As far as the BF longwings being on the Barrie last, I'm almost certain they are not. IMO, the shape of the toe and fit is substantially different from the Barrie last. While in BB earlier today, I compared the toe of the Alden Barrie-last boots I was wearing to the shape of the BF longwing, they weren't the same. When I get home in a few days, I'll make another comparison using the BF shoe and an Alden Barrie longwing.

9. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

JayJay:

I will appreciate if you can answer the below questions:

1) Apart from the pattern and sole difference, were the lasts, the scotch grain texture and the shade of the color the same?

2) Do the perforated boots also have storm welt?

3) Considering double leather sole vs. rubber sole, which boots' sole was sleeker and less bulkier?

Thanks!

Same last and grain texture; however, the Perforated boot was only in black and the Paddock in dark brown.

The welts were similar, iirc. Side by side the soles look very similar but in my mind, a leather sole is more dressy.

10. mg428

mg428 Senior member

Ill take pics tonight with a real camera, as I am at the office right now.

Steven,

Would you be able to post the photos before the sale ends, i.e. before midnight?

11. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

When I meant the same I was implying they were on the same last. What you have stated was already obvious from the written description.
    Pardon me, I misunderstood your initial post.

12. mg428

mg428 Senior member

Same last and grain texture; however, the Perforated boot was only in black and the Paddock in dark brown.

The welts were similar, iirc. Side by side the soles look very similar but in my mind, a leather sole is more dressy.

I see. Perhaps the perforated boots' brown is lighter, at least that's what as far as I see on BB's website.

I know it is too much detail but do you remember whether the perforated boots were also storm-welted?

13. Steven Aver

Pardon me, I misunderstood your initial post.

N/P. Thanks for clarifying the speculation with the Barrie last. Im curious to what last the longwing is made on now. The only last that seems to be that Wide is the Van(same last LHS Loafer), but do they even make Bluchers on that last? hmm

14. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I see. Perhaps the perforated boots' brown is lighter, at least that's what as far as I see on BB's website.

I know it is too much detail but do you remember whether the perforated boots were also storm-welted?

I think so.

15. mg428

mg428 Senior member

Dear Steven and JayJay,

As members of SF who have seen/bought both the paddock or perforated boots and the saddle shoes, would you say that the last of the paddock/perforated boots is the same with the last of the saddle shoes?

Thanks!