• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brooks Brothers Bankruptcy Thread

EdwardWilson

Reaction score
They do occupy an unusual place. If they try to go low end, they will be competing with suit supply, indochino, J Crew (assuming they’ll still be around). That would be a bit challenging and BB does not really excite and offer those more trendy cuts.

Try to go high end and it’s like climbing a hill. They will have to really retool and reboot with an aggressive campaign. Otherwise, they’ll end up the sartorial version of those citizen watches that go $7000! I mean, sure it might be a nice watch, but who’s going to pay that much for something that still says citizen.

You hit the lamb on the head. The modern man doesn't care for the traditional style of BB. Suits are worn for Instagram photos, not for work. For that purpose Indochino and their ilk will beat BB every time.

I really hope their suit and shirt factories can be saved. Hate to see hardworking people lose their jobs.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well, if you can take Milano suit, then things being too slim is probably not that big of a deal, so I will say still plenty choice out there (sold all my BB, i.e. just a single Milano a while back, but I remember it being decently slim)
All my BB shirts were Milano fit. Very nice overall even if they couldn't compare to Zegna.

EdwardWilson

Reaction score
If you work for a suit shop, you can wear a suit every day.

Indeed sir. The gents at Indochino certainly wear extremely tight suits every day of the week!

But I'm a barrister & solicitor. And I do wear a suit more often than not.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I still can't seem find any tailoring at Drake's that holds my interest but I grabbed several of their Japanese linen shirts which are simply amazing. Navy espadrilles nice as well, been wearing them all summer (okay an indoors Covid summer, but still...).

Maybe Brooks should go small and excellent rather than big and awful?

yup, I think that's what a lot people are saying, but to downsize BB to Drake size is a lot downsizing (BB got more than 1,000 stores?)

All my BB shirts were Milano fit. Very nice overall even if they couldn't compare to Zegna.

talking about BB Milano suit though, I don't really own any BB shirt, if I want cheap ish shirt Kamakura fits the bill for me, though BB Milano is probably not too far off Kamakura Tokyo Slim either?

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
is Indochino still a thing? I thought they "peaked" like 10 years ago... you could do better with SuitSupply if it fits off the rack I assume

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will tell you my friend, I just moved from Chicago to Vancouver. Shorts and flip flops are the norm here, and women wear tank tops and Lulu Lemon yoga pants. I walk down the street in a suit and I'm usually one of few.

I fear the classic gentlemen's professional attire is a thing of the past. And the suit markets will be dominated by the Indochinos and Suit Supplies' of the world.
Chicago? Try some Oxxford. ?

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
that's some step up in pricing, though oxxford did introduce a cheaper line, like $2.5k?

EdwardWilson

Reaction score
Chicago? Try some Oxxford. ?

I wish. Out of my budget. When I lived in Chicago (2001-2020) I always wanted to have an Oxxford suit. But that is just more than I am willing to spend. I see guys on here talking about Kiton and Brioni suits and bless your hearts, you must have more more disposable income than this humble lawyer.

Chicago was great. Cool that the Horween factory was there. Now if the Florsheim factory had still been pumping out those awesome Imperials that would have been something. But I did drive to Milwaukee to visit the AE factory and that was fantastic.

But now I'm in Vancouver. Clean air, free health insurance and barely any Covid-19. But classic style is an afterthought.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish. Out of my budget. When I lived in Chicago (2001-2020) I always wanted to have an Oxxford suit. But that is just more than I am willing to spend. I see guys on here talking about Kiton and Brioni suits and bless your hearts, you must have more more disposable income than this humble lawyer.

Chicago was great. Cool that the Horween factory was there. Now if the Florsheim factory had still been pumping out those awesome Imperials that would have been something. But I did drive to Milwaukee to visit the AE factory and that was fantastic.

But now I'm in Vancouver. Clean air, free health insurance and barely any Covid-19. But classic style is an afterthought.
I have several Oxxford suits and sport coats. Got them all here at amazing prices. He has an eBay presence as well.

Phoenician

Reaction score

LOL, true. "classic" style in Vancouver is wearing vintage Air Jordans circa 1988 versus new ones.

EdwardWilson

Reaction score
In case anyone is wondering, the BB factories are in Massachusetts (suits), New York (ties) and North Carolina (shirts) are closing forever.

The 200 year old tradition of BB making clothing in America is over. They will become like Florsheim and so many other brands. Their name will be on the product, but it won't be Brooks Brothers.

sargeinaz

Reaction score
yup, I think that's what a lot people are saying, but to downsize BB to Drake size is a lot downsizing (BB got more than 1,000 stores?)

You’re probably right. In that case, maybe JPress would be a better choice to be an American version of Drakes?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
In case anyone is wondering, the BB factories are in Massachusetts (suits), New York (ties) and North Carolina (shirts) are closing forever.

The 200 year old tradition of BB making clothing in America is over. They will become like Florsheim and so many other brands. Their name will be on the product, but it won't be Brooks Brothers.

I've heard, but don't know for sure, that some people at Garland are behind Liberty Shirt Co.

I believe Southwick will reopen in some other form. Don't know about the tie factory.

I've said this elsewhere, and I'm sure I sound like a broken record, but if people genuinely care about classic men's clothing and American manufacturing, they have to show this with their dollars. That means purchasing at full price, not just discounted, second hand, or factory seconds. That's the only way these companies can survive.

There are still classic American made clothes -- Rancourt, Quoddy, Michael Spencer, Chipp, Frank Clegg, Mercer & Sons, Gitman Brothers, Russell Moccasin, Hickey Freeman, Hertling, Dapper Classics, (some) New Balances, Alden, 3sixteen, Raleigh Denim, Todd Shelton, Columbia Knits, Glenn's Denim, Camber, Cego, American Trench, etc.

Last edited:

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that's some step up in pricing, though oxxford did introduce a cheaper line, like $2.5k?

haha! I remember not too long ago when that was the regular price for an Oxxford suit. Now it’s almost twice that.

Paul Stuart actually uses Oxxford in their made to measure program.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics