• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brooks Brothers Bankruptcy Thread

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
just curious; is their made in Italy stuff completely made in Italy or do they take shortcuts for any of the Made in Italy merch? this goes for the MiUSA Merch too.

unless you're in the know, probably hard to answer...

At least for the MiUSA ones I thought we know where they're made. Who made their Made in Italy suit, Lardini?

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To the point above, it's hard to know what BB considers their 'regular price'. They also have their corporate discount which everybody seems to have access to.

That said, I've been paying regular price more often lately (usually for items/services that don't get marked down - like MTM or MTO).

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
To the point above, it's hard to know what BB considers their 'regular price'. They also have their corporate discount which everybody seems to have access to.

That said, I've been paying regular price more often lately (usually for items/services that don't get marked down - like MTM or MTO).

Just curious, what stuff you feel like worth paying MTM at BB

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Should have clarified. Not at BB, but at other retailers. Haven't seen good examples of their MTM.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yea, most of my new shoes purchase has been GMTO lately, but that has more to do with the amount already had and start going more "exactly what I want I suppose"

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I was thinking about this last night. What if the retail price is completely farcical? I feel I can trust certain stores to have fair retail prices. No Man Walks Alone for sure, the Armoury and Sid Mashburn, sure, but Brooks Brothers? Asking $1200 retail for an 1818 suit? Definitely overpriced for an entry-level suit.

The fact that they always seem to be two-for-$1500 now with plenty more seriously marked down in the sale section indicates they likely are not very costly to make.

I think it's clear that retail prices aren't farcical when the companies that are marking down (e.g. Brooks Brothers and J. Crew) are also filing for bankruptcy.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I only had made in Italy 1818 actually (sold it, but not due to quality, just my aesthetics has changed). What's the problem with the MiUSA ones (presumably Southwick?) I thought natural craftman thing was good (which is also Southwick?), just they don't make it in 36, so never bother to buy 38 (which does run slim but still require quite a bit tailoring)
I remember liking the Natural Craftsman line when it came out but they didn't seem to come in long. Jackets were too short for me. My aesthetics began to change as well and I thrifted a bunch of 1818s. I was sorting through them and noticed that, without consciously trying, all the Made in USA suits were in the thrift pile and the Italian ones were in the "keep" pile. Better fabric, seemed to fit me a little more accurately, and I think the shoulders were better.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
oh yea I remember reading some complain about how the MiUSA one being stiff (not sure what that truly means)?

Though I guess sometimes things are make to different spec, like I also remember some people complain Samuelsohn being "stiff" while I have no issue with the ones they make for Paul Stuart.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it's clear that retail prices aren't farcical when the companies that are marking down (e.g. Brooks Brothers and J. Crew) are also filing for bankruptcy.
Doesn't make sense. What if unrealistic retail prices and an easily game-able sales schedule are two factors that helped drive there?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Doesn't make sense. What if unrealistic retail prices and an easily game-able sales schedule are two factors that helped drive there?

Not sure what you mean.

If retail prices are farcical and Brooks Brothers can make a profit even with 70% markdowns, how would they wind up in the red? Your thesis builds in a profit even at 70% markdowns, not a loss.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
well, not at 70 off, but I assume in general people's point is if they're making enough margin at say 35 off why not just chop msrp by 35% and never do sale.

p.s. personally I think given the discount culture I don't think that would work, but I think that's what people means by the whole "sale game"

Proleet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure what you mean.

If retail prices are farcical and Brooks Brothers can make a profit even with 70% markdowns, how would they wind up in the red? Your thesis builds in a profit even at 70% markdowns, not a loss.

A lot of retailers don’t per se run their business by focusing obsessively on margin but on the return on capital. Not to say margin isn’t important but it doesn’t per se indicate a healthy basis. There’s obviously also the issue of unsold stock even after sales markdowns

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was just questioning your connection of retail prices to bankruptcy. Maybe BB would have sold more suits if they were more accurately priced?

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
well, how do you have bad margin and good return on capital, leverage...?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Was just questioning your connection of retail prices to bankruptcy. Maybe BB would have sold more suits if they were more accurately priced?

I still don't understand.

When people say retail prices are a farce, they're suggesting that the out the door price is intended to be much lower than the full retail price. So:

Retail price: $1000
Intended out the door price, let's say: $500

And when people say that the out-the-door price is $500, they mean that the retailer is still making a healthy profit at $500.

But if the retailer is making a healthy profit at $500, why are Brooks Brothers and J. Crew filing for bankruptcy?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads